New Event, new PW, new feeling

Options
Abogmar
Abogmar Posts: 22
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hi dudes and dudettes!

The new event just finished I wanted to share some thoughts on this, especially (but not exclusive) with new players (although I don’t know how many frequent the forum). This is just my take on the game and I am myself no experienced player. If you want high level play inside this is not the place to look, better ask some of the top coalition players frequenting the forum. So far they always offered advice and support, thumps up!

It took me 2 ½ months to realise (yeah I am super slow and most people will know this), that this game is quite different from paper magic. (#powerful insight)

I was so used to concepts of aggro, control mid-range and they work against each other that I didn’t realise, that the game modes of mtgpq dictate what kind of deck you play. QB is about speed and Events (the ones with bonus objectives) about control. To be more accurate, Events are about how to slow yourself just enough to fulfil all objectives and still win. So far that’s all common knowledge (it still took me a while the get it, slow is my tempo).

But what that means is that all the struggle to get the most powerful cards and the sadness for opening only garbage is kinda misplaced. The deck is supposed to be “weak” (nodes of power and pve excluded, you better open something orange to compete amigo), especially in the new event with so many objectives. For me this thought was a turning point because not opening anything (well you should open some cards to clear objectives, which can be troublesome) didn’t feel too bad anymore because I could still compete in some of the events by simply sabotaging myself to prolong the game.

The thing that seems really important are the right PW. I know they seem difficult to acquire at first but they make a difference like day and night. For so long I thought about cards and how to use them in a sweet deck that combos and everything and now I have J2 lvl 50 (and in the last 10 lvl’s is quite a lot of power left) and clearing the event is a cakewalk. PW with abilities that win that can win the game by themselves seem to be extra sweet for this sort of event because your garbage deck has even less of an effect.

In my experience the problem is less about winning the game and more clearing every objective. Filling your deck with high powered cards will most likely just result in not clearing the objectives and won’t prevent you from losing when the enemy koth hasn’t watered down his deck for some reason (or it was a deck not participating in the event) and plays all the good stuff you want to open against you…*sigh* And as long as you consistently clear, you can swallow one or two losses, at least in bronze and silver.
This is all at silver league by the way, I am sure at gold and plat the struggle is completely different and building a deck is much more challenging.
All I wanted to say was that you (yes,you) shouldn’t be sad when not opening all the cool mythics. Grind some story and QB for some PW and have a blast, except when the event requires colours you don’t have, than you will be super sad!

Oh and I should probably post this in the “tips” section but I would be sad if nobody read this. But this may just be my clumsy way of bragging that I finally got a mythic from the new set (top 5, wuhu). icon_e_smile.gif
Adios amigos!