[Poll] Do you prefer Combined Arms or Balance of Power?

morph3us
morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I really enjoyed playing Combined Arms in this off season. Loads of team variety, I could use my entire roster depth, plus I felt like it gave more players a better shot at progression in this event.

Balance of Power has been run at least every second off season for the last year or so, as far as I can recall, whereas it's been at least a year or two since we last saw Combined Arms.

Which of the two would you prefer to see in off season?

Reminder:
Balance of Power is everyone levelled to 550.
Combined Arms is a mandatory selection of any 2*, 3*, and 4* character, with 1* and 5* characters locked out. All characters are boosted as if they were featured.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Are you serious? Balance of Power is easily one of the worst PVP events in the game.

Making everyone at 550 is horrible:
    - so much health to chew through
    - the tiers do not scale equally at all
    - trying to climb higher than 500 can be challenging
    - health pack suck

Combined arms boosts each tier reasonnably and will not max level + boost a character that is not max level unlike BoP.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    Are you serious?

I agree with you completely. I just thought it might be better to make it clear what the player base thinks of the respective events.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Neither.

Combined Arms for players who don't have decent amount of 4* covers is awful.
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
    I loved combined Arms. it was a lot of fun. I have 2 4stars champed and it was a lot of fun.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Combined Arms. Even without useful Four Stars I've done well in it. Suck a Charles down behind his invisibility, and watch a Daken/GSBW or Wolverine/Falcon go insane. It can be so much fun. It has so much variety. This round since I finally got a champed 4star, I used Hulkbuster/Cyclops/MnMags.

But I've used
    Storm/KK/X-23
    Thing/Thor/Ares

Balance of power I see Juggernaut every second Fight, and everyone has like 30k health to chew through. Nothing is fun in that, it's just repeated slog after repeated slog.

Combined Arms all the way.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Combined Arms, by far!

My IF/PX tag team was decimating teams like my face to a cheesecake. Pop on that invisibility and keep boosting that green atk tile until it one-shots the last enemy character.

It was beautiful.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alsmir wrote:
    Combined Arms for players who don't have decent amount of 4* covers is awful.

This. I have one champed 4* and all the rest are at 70 waiting for more covers. Balance of power is way more fun to me, and I think it offers even more diversity because you can compete even with 1* characters (Juggs, anyone?). It gives newer players a taste of what's to come and even allows them to potentially place very high, which is harder to do the newer you are.

I placed 4th in the last Balance of Power, by far my best placement to date. I'm looking forward to another one.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Much prefer Combined Arms as it give me a chance to try out different team combos and use more of my roster. icon_razz.gif
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    I'd rather shove icepicks under my fingernails and soak my hands in lemon juice while having bullet ants poured over my head than play Balance of Power. Definitely not touching it when next they run that abomination.

EDIT: a word
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    I think the challenge that you need at least a couple of decent 4* to be competitive is probably fair, and Balance of Power allows newer players to effectively test stuff out...

so for anybody with a couple of 4* decently advanced (not necessarily maxed/champed) and a wide 2*/3* roster, Combined Arms is significantly more fun... there is a mind boggling array of characters, and there maybe any number of interesting teams out there... (my issue is that I cycle my 2* so only one is currently level 144)

But up to that point in development, Balance of Power is interesting... especially as the vets who want to avoid all the 5* pain are avoiding it icon_e_smile.gif

I have absolutely enjoyed BoP in the past, but I have certainly found Combined Arms to be the better event this time around... and even enjoyed it last time as well, when I had no max 4*

But as someone once said... kinda

"You can please some of the people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time"
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combined Arms by not one, not two, but 50 country miles.

I can't even describe how awful BOP is for an advanced roster, while CA gave me the option to use my 30 champed 4*s and actually change up my team based on the opposition.

Rulk? Use Quake.
    Switch? Use Jean.
    Creepsicle? Peggy.

Hell I even brought out Fistbuster for the first time in over a year.

Of course I used Peggy IM40 once past 800, but I had an absolute BLAST and I didn't even touch my Punisher or 4Cyke!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't stand BOP. Each match takes forever and is only worth around 20-30 points. When you finish it, you have lost 50-100 points.

This is pretty common across most PVPs, but generally it doesn't happen until you hit 700-800 points.

In BOP, it happens at around 300 points, so you don't even have access to any of the good prizes, such as 20 CP.