Boring boss mission

Cunneryn
Cunneryn Posts: 112
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I know I know, boss mission are generally viewed in a positive way as it allows new gameplay mechanics and whatnot. And I can't disagree with that, BUT I stil can't seem to enjoy them. I know.... I might be the only one....

First of all, it's important to mention that I do enjoy the first few fights, but then the core gameplay of the gameplay become extremely repetitive and, for the most part, boring. The fact that you fignt the same boss over, and over, and over, and over, and over again is jsut a big turn off for me. I usually play only to help my alliance get the reward, however in the last boss rush, without any alliance cooperation I eneded up stopping preemptively since, even if the rewards were appealing, the pain of going through it was not worth it, and i'm not even talking about the difficulty...

Basically, you fignt the boss, you do a little fight. You fight the boss, you do a little fight. You hence need to fght the bos around 18 times per day for 3 days. And its not like the fight itself changes, except for the increasing difficulty. I usually end up finding the best thing and using it over and over and over and over again. It's extremely boring and not really very rewarding if you ask me.

I know a lot of people will disagree and I don't want to change anything in these event necessarily. i only wanted to let people know of my opinion and frustration of those boss events.

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I like boss events; the ability to slowly develop the boss into something you have to take seriously is something the game largely lacks in other places. Of course, I don't come remotely close to fighting one 18 times a day. Maybe 10.

Did you like Boss Rush? It seems like that implementation addresses your main complaint pretty well.
  • Cunneryn
    Cunneryn Posts: 112
    I like boss events; the ability to slowly develop the boss into something you have to take seriously is something the game largely lacks in other places. Of course, I don't come remotely close to fighting one 18 times a day. Maybe 10.

Did you like Boss Rush? It seems like that implementation addresses your main complaint pretty well.

I guess boss rush was a bit different, but I was still using my best team hoping the enemy wouldn't get a turn. So the difference was only small.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    To each their own.

Most players (at least on this board) find the boss fights refreshing (Rush notwithstanding).

Your discontent applies to pretty much the whole game, not just bosses. Find the best combo, apply it for minimal time investment. That's true for standard PvP and PvE as well. They've been trying some new things to keep the game fresh - BFF and 2/3/4 BoP.

Ultimately it's a universal problem. If you're playing 7-card stud with the ability to create a royal flush, why would you go with a pair of jacks? There's no incentive to branch out and play around, because every reward is based on finishing every match as quickly as possible.

How do you solve that? I don't know. I'm not getting paid to figure it out.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cunneryn wrote:
    First of all, it's important to mention that I do enjoy the first few fights, but then the core gameplay of the gameplay become extremely repetitive and, for the most part, boring. The fact that you fignt the same boss over, and over, and over, and over, and over again is jsut a big turn off for me.

All of PvE is extremely repetitive in nature, and for the most part boring. At least the boss events are limited to a max of 33 nodes a day, 16 of which are unique. Regular PvE is 36+ to get progression, 54+ to get the XP, and 63+ for competition, with only 9 unique.

Boss Rush was better too in that at least every round was a different set of bosses. Brutal, hilarious overscaled bosses that made the event annoying as anything to play, but different nonetheless.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Actually, I agree with you, and I expressed your same sentiment in the "enjoyment poll" post.

Disclaimer: I enjoyed Galactus and Ultron thoroughly even though my roster was terrible at the time (maybe 3 useful 3*s? I don't even remember).

Civil War was fun the first time, but the mechanic felt tired the second run. Boss Rush using the exact same mechanic with LOLWTTKBBQ scaling actually was boring and tiring.

My biggest complaint about it is that we went away from 8 hour refreshes in PvE for a reason. Why are we still doing that nonsense in boss events? Is it so the side nodes can scale to oblivion, and we can watch it happening while it does? Scaling jumps at the 24/48/72 hour marks anyway... just get rid of the 8 hour refreshes and let us clear an equivalent number of times on our own time.

I *would* like to see a reimagined version of the boss events, though. Same old boss, side, boss, side with no real story or theme is silly and dull after enough plays.