That feeling of hopelessness

2»

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    SCL is a great step to separating the various tiers of players based on their roster progress, but it does nothing to address how difficult it is to make solid, tangible progress in a reasonable amount of time.

Example: I remember when Lazy Thor was released (yeah, old school) and I was just starting my transition to 3-star land I decided Thor was my guy to get me through the transition. After getting 4-5 of his covers in events I decided to drop some cold hard cash and buy the rest of the covers I needed with HP so I could max him out. It felt great to finally have that one maxed 3-star. I was able to better compete, because at least I had Thor to help me get started placing higher and getting other 3* covers in events.

I couldn't do that today. The addition of CP and its use to buy covers (which is waaaaay too expensive to be viable) has eliminated any player's ability to take that next tangible step.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I'm a commander of a casual public alliance and every time some newbie joins up they invariably have a roster with ~10-20 roster slots filled to the brim with singleton 4*s and maybe a couple 3*s with 3 covers. I try to give those players some advice on how to build an actually effective roster, but they always end up quitting. It's a real problem.

I can think of tons of solutions. For example, make it so lower SCL levels have lower tier required characters in PvE, and different kinds of boosts in PvP. If you're SCL 1 and all the 1*s keep popping up as required, you're a lot less likely to want to sell them off while they're relevant for developing your roster. And what would SCL 2 be like if no 4*s were ever boosted but a bunch of 1*s and 2*s were?

Another thing they could do is just hide the stars. The boosted levels are quite a hint for telling people what star-tier a character is in, but new players don't need to care about future value nearly as much as they do. Having those four stars staring at you on the front of a Venom or Carnage implies a benefit that just isn't there, and it kills long-term interest.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    I couldn't do that today. The addition of CP and its use to buy covers (which is waaaaay too expensive to be viable) has eliminated any player's ability to take that next tangible step.

I don't think the 20 CP price is too bad for 3*, above that I would agree though. I've bought a number of 3* covers with CP, mainly on top teir characters. I currently have 32/40 3* champed and I still only have 8 switch covers and I debating dropping 100 CP to get her there, but I keep delaying hoping I can get another cover or two before I take that plunge.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    I don't think the 20 CP price is too bad for 3*, above that I would agree though. I've bought a number of 3* covers with CP, mainly on top teir characters. I currently have 32/40 3* champed and I still only have 8 switch covers and I debating dropping 100 CP to get her there, but I keep delaying hoping I can get another cover or two before I take that plunge.[/quote]

So, how many 3* do you have championed? I don't think I could figure it out from your other posts...J/K!!! But seriously, for you to have that many champed in the first 6 months is awesome, but you are not the average player. You seem to have figured this game out much earlier than most do. Continue the good work, hope you don't get dulled once you try to get into the 4 and 5 star.png land. I would suggest you to hold onto all your cp for when you are ready for 5's, because otherwise it is going to take you very long to get the covers for them unless they change something.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 wrote:
    broll wrote:
    I don't think the 20 CP price is too bad for 3*, above that I would agree though. I've bought a number of 3* covers with CP, mainly on top teir characters. I currently have 32/40 3* champed and I still only have 8 switch covers and I debating dropping 100 CP to get her there, but I keep delaying hoping I can get another cover or two before I take that plunge.

So, how many 3* do you have championed? I don't think I could figure it out from your other posts...J/K!!! But seriously, for you to have that many champed in the first 6 months is awesome, but you are not the average player. You seem to have figured this game out much earlier than most do. Continue the good work, hope you don't get dulled once you try to get into the 4 and 5 star.png land. I would suggest you to hold onto all your cp for when you are ready for 5's, because otherwise it is going to take you very long to get the covers for them unless they change something.

Sounds like I talk to much ... icon_redface.gif

Thanks, yeah I have gone pretty fast, I tend to get obsessive on collect them all type games, I'm pretty sure I have some form of OCD. It's hard for me to see the importance of holding onto CP for 5* when that is so far away. I may have made it through 3* progression pretty fast, but if I get through 4* in under a year it will be a miracle. Also the other reason I'm not quite as worried is that at the current rate of change I'm going to be shocked if 6*s are not a thing by the time I need to seriously worry about 5*s. Ultimately trading 100 CP for the needed 5 covers of Scarlet Witch, which will be viable in PvP for a long time based on what others are saying (unless she gets a nerf) vs the 5 randoms that will most likely all be 4*s. It feels like a good trade right now, I might regret it later, but we'll see.
  • DC1972
    DC1972 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    As a new player, if you see those shiny 5 stars and it would take a year+ before you have one that is playable (and even then it would mess with your MMR), would you invest the time to play to transition through all levels even with the new SCL speeding things up?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that SCL is their answer to this. They've essentially created 7 (soon 8, 9 and 10) tiers of gameplay to cater to rosters of all strengths. This means that newer players don't HAVE to progress quickly to be competitive. It also mean that they will be able to progress more quickly by playing at lower SCLs and placing better.

Agree with this. Players will see all rewards are winnable, and will realize progression will eventually get you there.

IF, and ONLY IF 5*'s are included in progression in upper SCL's, and out of RNG-only!