Changing Champion Rewards Really Screws Up Lots of Planning

Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I pick what 3*s to champ (of those I never use) based on what 4* they give. The majority I've yet to get the first 4* cover on, it takes so long to get there. By changing what 4* a championed 3* gives or worse, changing more in the future, it makes planning who to champ impossible and ends up wasting the player a ton of ISO if the 4* changes from someone they want/need to someone they don't.
The whole reason I champed Quicksilver was for Iceman covers. I never use him. Same for Sentry and Rulk covers.
It's not clear to me from what I've read how this change is going to be implemented, but I'm guessing it will just overwrite our current characters with the new rewards and not just make future championed versions of those characters give the new rewards. I wouldn't be upset at the latter, but if it's the former then I've wasted a ton of ISO championing characters I never use for rewards that I don't necessarily want.

Comments

• jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Just my opinion, but champing a character you won't use based solely on the 4* rewards seems like the big waste of ISO.

You get one cover reasonably quickly... the second takes a long time. By the time you get the 3rd, you are well into the 4* game. Heck, I bet by the time most people get the 2nd cover, they don't need it anymore.

My opinion is that you should be champing 3* based on the characters and their usefulness themselves, not the very limited 4* rewards that they will give out a long time down the road. Play the 3* game while you are in the 3* tier, don't champ low tier characters in an attempt to shortcut the transition.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    completely understood, as I am in the same boat. however, we all knew this was coming, right? we had lots of 4* characters who could not be obtained via 3* champing, and multiple 4* characters that could be obtained by champing 2 different 3* characters. In fact, I remember many people asking about certain 4* characters and how to get them. The one that comes to mind is Nova. Everyone kept asking why there was no way to get Nova from 3*. Still, he isn't on the list, so you can bet there will be more changes coming soon.

Obviously, every 3* character should yield its own 4* character, that way there are no doubles while others are left out to dry. That is the curse of releasing so many new 4* all the time. Trust me, champing Sentry and now being unable to get more RHulk out of it sucks real bad, I was looking forward to that. But it was bound to happen, we just couldn't beat out the clock...
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:
    Just my opinion, but champing a character you won't use based solely on the 4* rewards seems like the big waste of ISO.

You get one cover reasonably quickly... the second takes a long time. By the time you get the 3rd, you are well into the 4* game. Heck, I bet by the time most people get the 2nd cover, they don't need it anymore.

My opinion is that you should be champing 3* based on the characters and their usefulness themselves, not the very limited 4* rewards that they will give out a long time down the road. Play the 3* game while you are in the 3* tier, don't champ low tier characters in an attempt to shortcut the transition.
    I disagree. 3* usefulness drops off substantially once you have maybe half of them champed. This is where I was when I transitioned into 4* play, and consequently where I was when the champ feature went live. Championing makes it worthwhile to champ all 3*s once you are firmly planted in the 4* tier, but the order in which you do it in is largely driven by the desire to minimize covers that have to be sold for ISO. All things equal the next champ absolutely should be determined by the champ rewards to avoid having to sell a 4* cover champ reward.
  • jobob
    I disagree. 3* usefulness drops off substantially once you have maybe half of them champed. This is where I was when I transitioned into 4* play, and consequently where I was when the champ feature went live. Championing makes it worthwhile to champ all 3*s once you are firmly planted in the 4* tier, but the order in which you do it in is largely driven by the desire to minimize covers that have to be sold for ISO. All things equal the next champ absolutely should be determined by the champ rewards to avoid having to sell a 4* cover champ reward.
    I totally get the theory. I just question whether or not in practice it makes that big of a difference. Like you said, we are only talking about maybe half of the 3* that are being champed this way, and it's not like you are getting all 3 covers any time soon. And, frankly, once you get half of the 3* champed... I would be putting my ISO into 4*, not 3* just to avoid having to sell a few extra covers.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    given how often 3* are handed out, your goal should be to champion them all to maintain use of the rewards. Just in a given week you'll usually have 2 PVE that give 1 for alliance rewards, 2 for progression (IN SCL), or 2 for placement (Non-SCL). Then there are 3 PVP, so you get 1 progression, 1 alliance t100, and reasonably 1 placement(others may get more). Then there are 7 days of ddq.

So 7+3+3+3+3+3= 22 covers per week, not even counting any tokens you may hit. I dont think championing any 3* is a waste in the long run.
  • jobob
    edited October 2016
    Meander wrote:
    So 7+3+3+3+3+3= 22 covers per week, not even counting any tokens you may hit. I dont think championing any 3* is a waste in the long run.
    I'm not saying it's a waste by any stretch of the imagination... I absolutely think they should be champed.

I just don't think you should champ them all before putting ISO into 4*, or that picking who to champ based on the covers they give is the most efficient route to take.

So let's take your number... 22 covers per week. Across 40-ish 3*. And let's say you get a token pull here or there. So basically you can expect to add 3 levels a month to each champed 3*. That still means 5 months to get the first reward cover. And about 18 months (half the game's lifetime!) to get to the 2nd. And a whopping 3 years to get to that 3rd cover.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but when you start looking at just how long it takes you to get that 2nd and 3rd cover if you aren't buying (because if you are buying, you probably don't need those covers at that point)... I just don't think the numbers support the argument.

Having said that, I totally get that it sucks to feel like the rug got pulled out from under you. I'm not meaning to come across as "suck it up and deal with it." Quite the opposite... I'm actually trying to show you that it isn't that big of a loss in most cases.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I currently have few, if any, 4* worth playing with. I am champing every single 3* I get the chance for as long as I have an extra waiting in the queue. That way I get the LT reward at least, helping me earn 4*. It has been helping accelerate my jump to the 4* tier. The addition of the extra reward at 183 is also nice, plus they are good to use in PVE and PVP for me, because I don't have anything better to use. It has been fun exploring the various boosted characters that I normally wouldn't play with, but I will now that they are over level 230 thanks to weekly boosting. I actually had fun using Sentry for the first time ever!
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I'm champing all my threes just because putting Iso into 4*s would screw up my scaling and I have no interest in making the jump. As such, it isn't a "waste" of Iso. It's literally the only use of Iso I want to bother with.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    You should champ all 3*s no matter their usefulness or 4* cover reward.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm kinda salty about it too, but I seriously doubt any compensation will go out for this, so I'm just not even stressing about it.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    I keep selling Switch covers because my prof x is sitting at 12/13 with 5 purple. It will suck to not have 14 ready whenever I get 13, but overall I think it makes sense, so whatever. The rest will be better for me, so no biggie (I''ve also been selling grocket covers since slord is at 5/1/2).
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    I feel like it's a mixed bag. I'm pretty annoyed that I prioritized certain characters for their 4* covers that now give different ones, but at the same time I'm glad to have access to covers I didn't before. I'm glad to have access to Quake and War Machine covers even though I really wanted Prof X and Iceman covers. I think the only thing that truly disappoints me about this is I won't be able to get IF to 183 before the change, because I much would have preferred improving on my 4/1/1 IMHB than having to find room to roster Kate.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    When champing was first released, I immediately champed all 3*s within the first few months. So it doesn't really matter to me. I've blown through plenty of 4* cover champ rewards that I then immediately sold, because I didn't need them at the time.

It all works out icon_cool.gif
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    Every time they've changed something like this it's screwed up something for someone. It's the nature of the beast.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Phew.....whole lotta unhatched egg counting and predictable, selective outrage.

This type of whining, if heeded, would block continued game development.

Stop focusing on the 1 or 2 reward pairing pairings you were looking forward to, and consider the entire scheme. Is it more beneficial to more players, or not?

If you must selectively grief, lets hear the outrage over Puns now feeding Punmax. Come on, you know you really wanted Elektra. Lets hear all about it.

Thank you for finally updating this. My only complaint is that it took so long, and we have see a commitment to seasonal updates. Even after this update there are still several characters doubled up on....
    Haha I am actually glad I got my electra cover from punisher before they changed it. Mine is now at 13 covers so ready to be champed whenever.
    The weirdest change must be iron fist champ reward. I think they should have left it at hulkbuster. That team goes so well together. Disclaimer: I have lvl180 iron fist and waiting for my last black cover of hulk buster before I can champ him.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    I keep selling Switch covers because my prof x is sitting at 12/13 with 5 purple. It will suck to not have 14 ready whenever I get 13, but overall I think it makes sense, so whatever. The rest will be better for me, so no biggie (I''ve also been selling grocket covers since slord is at 5/1/2).

Lol - got my 13th prof x today, but switch covers are all expired. Now I have to wait to pull another x the old fashioned way.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    It was a broken system and couldn't really be LEFT broken because there may be, possibly, sometimes, for some players, a downside.

The long term need's the work more than us.

A bit more communication would have helped though. A list of temporary character pairings so we knew in advance which were heading for the chopping block.

(I'm desperately fishing for a single Iron Fist btw, but it still makes sense to fix the whole thing :p )