Will the "Infinity Seasons" be Worked into Gampelay?

jobob
jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
With Infinity War looming on the (somewhat) distant Horizon, I am sure there will be tie-in events in all the games.

It's hard for me to imagine that the change to naming seasons was purely a name-change only. I hope that it will be worked into some new features.

What kinds of things would I like or hope to see?

Well, a simple visual change might be cool, from the current colored shape gems to ones that actually look like the Infinity Stones... there are 6 of them, after all, that line up pretty well with MPQ colors:

Green - Soul Stone
Orange - Time Stone (obviously, would need to change to black)
Purple - Space Stone
Blue - Mind Stone
Yellow - Reality Stone
Red - Power Stone

I think it would be a cool little change to see the gems in game look more like Infinity Stones.

And, if you tie a color to each of the stones, you can also tie the season to the gameplay. For example, in a "Power" (Red) season, you could any number of several things:

MATCHES/BOARD: Could include things like:
-Red match damage % increase
-Red power damage % increase
-Red match bonus AP
-Red tiles have a chance to drop in as charged tiles

CHARACTERS with RED as THEIR STRONGEST COLOR:
-Season long mini-buff (that stacks with the rotating buff)

^^^Both of these areas would help with giving us more variation in the types of teams that we can run effectively.

TOKEN PACKS:
-Special "Power Season" 5* token pack for all characters whose strongest color is Red (could also rotate these characters out of the LL pack so they aren't diluting those odds)
-Special "Power Season" 40-packs with standard total 2*/3*/4* odds, but only give out characters whose strongest color is Red

^^^These packs would go a long way toward helping players "target" the characters they need by saving up for seasons when their needed character will be featuresd

THEMED PVP/PVE EVENTS & REWARDS

...Anyway, those are just a few thoughts. I hope that this is going to be more interesting than a (honestly not needed) naming convention.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am hoping the Infinity Seasons will be more than just a name change as well.

It would be cool if we won Gauntlet gems through the Season by completing a certain list of tasks and when you acquire all 6, you can do one of the following: Add 10 levels or 1 cover to a designated character, earn 3 Unlimited-Use Med Pack (that can be used for 1 event only), Instantly gain a Shield CL level, or earn 20 Crit Boosts icon_lol.gif

The point is, I hope there is something more to this than what is stated.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be cool to win a gem from each Gem named seasons, and build an infinity glove, then be able to assign it to a character once a day for the day, or something like that. It should buff the character that has it on in some way, giving them a 4th ability or something.

Then in PVP you can see a little indicator on the character who is buffed with an infinity gauntlet, just like the little buffed gem symbol currently used.

Edit: Punisher is too quick! Beat me to some of the idea...
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    JVReal wrote:
    It would be cool to win a gem from each Gem named seasons, and build an infinity glove, then be able to assign it to a character once a day for the day, or something like that. It should buff the character that has it on in some way, giving them a 4th ability or something.

Then in PVP you can see a little indicator on the character who is buffed with an infinity gauntlet, just like the little buffed gem symbol currently used.
    This is a cool idea. I think it would be fun to change the TU tiles in PvP to gems that represent the "active" gem for that season and adds a different power to the chosen character... or maybe you can choose the "active" gem for the match based on the gems you've earned so far.

It might be a little more development than they can implement, but the possibility sounds so much fun.

Punisher's idea is good, too, but a "bonus" 4th ability that you can power up using "gem tiles"? I'd actually play PvP a lot harder!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm very hopeful that this is more than simply a name change. It would be great if there were something to add more variety to the seasons of the game.
  • jobob
    Hmm... if you went with the TU gems as being the featured Infinity Stone... what if in addition to TU AP for the match, you accumulated points (similar to deadpool points) that were banked from match to match... Gather enough "Power Gem" points to unlock a special Team Up that is always available for selection, but both requires in-match TU AP to fire, and then consumes the banked points.

They could have different effects:

Power - Damage
    Time - AP Steal
    Soul - Heal/Shield
    Space - Tile Swap/Board Shake
    Mind - Stun
    Reality - Special Tile Steal & Buff
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    Well, a simple visual change might be cool, from the current colored shape gems to ones that actually look like the Infinity Stones... there are 6 of them, after all, that line up pretty well with MPQ colors:

Green - Soul Stone
    Purple - Space Stone
    Blue - Mind Stone
    Yellow - Reality Stone
    Red - Power Stone

I think it would be a cool little change to see the gems in game look more like Infinity Stones.

I like the other ideas, but this one will probably not happen; the different shape of each tile is almost certainly an accessibility design choice for people with conditions like colorblindness.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I've posted something to this effect earlier, but I think it'd be better if we could earn an Infinity Stone item, at say, 7500 seasonal, which would semi-permanently power up one character. Each gem would be a different color, and at most 3 could be attached to one character (one for each power). E.g. a Mind Gem would be blue, and increase the Blue power level by 1 (even to an effective level of 6).

Each mind gem would also add some amount of Health or effective levels (say, +10k Health, or just raise a lower-than-legendary character up to effectively 4 stars), allowing us to get some use out of lower tier, yet awesome characters like 1-star Spider-Man or 2-star CMags/OBW. Or just make your 5-star that much more of a threat.

This idea is incidental to the new naming convention, but they could make each season reward the infinity stone in the matching color.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    ****. I hope that isn't implemented. An interesting idea, but it would mess up Simulator, which is the only pure PVP area.
  • jobob
    zodiac339 wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    ****. I hope that isn't implemented. An interesting idea, but it would mess up Simulator, which is the only pure PVP area.
    Why would it necessarily apply in Simulator? The others buffs don't apply there.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    So we are introducing a new way of naming seasons with Infinity Gems and a specific gem name will be the name of a particular season. The power gems and season are as follows: Green Soul, Purple Space, Yellow Reality, Orange Time, Red Power and Blue Mind. The first season gem will be the Red infinity gem for Power Season, starting in the evening of Thursday, October 20!
  • zodiac339
    jobob wrote:
    zodiac339 wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    Why would it necessarily apply in Simulator? The others buffs don't apply there.
    If it were a buff based on the season, then it could apply to the seasonal Simulator. I'd prefer it not to, but the devs might look at it as a "why not?" thing to do.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 wrote:
    If it were a buff based on the season, then it could apply to the seasonal Simulator. I'd prefer it not to, but the devs might look at it as a "why not?" thing to do.
    Unfortunately, a lot of what gets implemented seems to be in the spirit of "why not", and usually we could've told them.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I reckon they just changes the names so they don't have to put tons and tons of roman numerals on their seasons any more.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    I would be okay with them just having a season vault that you could bank like taco tokens. Really slow taco tokens...
  • zodiac339
    I reckon they just changes the names so they don't have to put tons and tons of roman numerals on their seasons any more.
    No reason they couldn't have gone to standard numerals, but they insist on named seasons. I find that suspect.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gameplay changes would get in the way of character releases.

I predict: no.

(Would LOVE to be proven wrong, though.)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    That would require a reworking of the very base code of the game.
    So not going to happen in a million years.
  • jobob
    Bowgentle wrote:
    That would require a reworking of the very base code of the game.
    So not going to happen in a million years.
    I haven't seen the base code of the game, so I don't know how much would need to be re-worked. Certainly some of the things mentioned in the thread could be done without a major coding rewrite.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't hold your breath. The "exciting" new PVP for Anniversary was just regular PVP limited to 2 characters instead of 3. They could have made it so much more, but didn't. Expect about the same from this.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:

Green - Soul Stone
    Purple - Space Stone
    Blue - Mind Stone
    Yellow - Reality Stone
    Red - Power Stone

Please, no changes to the shapes. Those of us who have forms of color-blindness rely on the shapes of the gems to easily determine matches.