4* Placement Rewards

Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi. First I'd like to say thanks for a great game. I've been playing since launch and while I'm not super hard core with MPQ it's definitely held my attention longer than 99% of the games I've ever been into. I'm only a couple days away from day 1000 (actually probably about 30 days past that as I had that bug that didn't refresh days played for about a month way back near when the game launched, if anyone remembers that).
What I wanted to say was, that while I love the game and think it's a ton of fun, the fun starts to wear thin for me when, in order to try to get a cover I want, I have to play 3+ hours a day for 3-4 days straight, just for a shot at it.
For example, I've been wanting more Iceman covers for awhile now. Seeing that he was the prize in the current PvE I decided to try to place top ten to win him. But after around 3 hours of playing I'm bouncing from 10th to 12th and my enjoyment of actually playing the game this session died out around 1 1/2 hours into playing. Knowing I'd not only have to keep playing at least another hour today and then repeat this each of the next three days isn't my idea of fun. I've decided to scrap my quest for those Iceman covers.
I guess what I'm saying is that, while recent changes have been great and have definitely made some things easier, having the 4* rewards limited to just the top 10 players is still immensely frustrating. Even having played as long as I have I still only have one 4* championed and only 3 others at 13 covers. It takes me well over a year to get a newly released 4* character to any sort of playable level. That kind of kills any excitement whenever a new character is released.
That's my two cents anyway. Thanks again for such a fun game.

Comments

• HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I feel your pain. There aren't enough hours in my day (I have a job and I have kids) to play for placement. I've been trying to hit each node 4 times each sub to get the required points needed to complete the personal progression and I've given up on placement.

I've gotten far enough with my roster to start beating all of the DDQ crashes so between command points for classic legends tokens and latest legends tokens from DDQ and championing characters I'm probably opening 4 legendaries a week. In the beginning it didn't seem like much but it starts to snowball. I always thought that I'd never fully cover any "new" character but I have Quake fully covered now and it feels like it hasn't been long since she came out.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    The reality is the best way to progress is PVP. I only play at night and a little first thing in the morning. For PVP I climb to around 500-600 on Monday night, then from 500-1200 on Tuesday night. With a little coordination it is 2-3 hours total in the game. For PVE I will play while I am at my daughters dive practice or after I have played PVP if I have time. The morning is for DPDQ and maybe a couple of tribal PVE nodes. I am able to get full CP in PVE, full CP in PVP. The only time the game is a real strain on me is with new release PVE. Since it is normally the weekend it makes it easier since I wake up before my family I can do my clears then. I sometimes get top 20 but mostly top 50 on new releases.
    Overall PVE is not the way to progress in this game it is PVE and CP. I am over 1000 days in this game and this game holds my attention way more then others. Come to the dark side play PVP more!!!
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime wrote:
    The reality is the best way to progress is PVP.
    Come to the dark side play PVP more!!!

I see your point but I struggle to have enough HP for character slots that I doubt I'd have enough for new slots and all the shielding. Ive actually never even tried the shield jumping or whatever it's called strategy, mainly because of that.
    If there's a character I really want on the PvP progression though I have grinder up to 900 to get it, but within minutes I'm usually down below 700. I can't imagine how those that get 2000 plus points do it.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I struggle with this as well. The thing about placing t10 in PVE is that your clearing time is almost more important than the strength of your roster. Most people are going to be able to do 4 clears and earn the same amount of points, so its up to who scores said amount of points FIRST. Even though my roster is capable of clearing all nodes 6x and then some, I simply can't clear faster than someone with 4s and 5s champed to level 300+ and so on. Even with scaling, they're still going to have less trouble than I am on a 4* node with an undercovered essential, or God help me, the 3* essential happens to be one of the couple I have severely undercovered like my SG was a week ago.

On another note, there's the job, the need for sleep, and the schedule of the slices. My work schedule really only allows s4 and s5 to be compatible, and those happen to also be prime hours for the social life, and of course sleep. I've lost count of the amount of s4 and s5 grinds I've fallen asleep on, that cost me t50, or t20. I'd get extremely pissed at myself and stressed, when at the end of the day its really not worth it. Its still just a game, and your sanity matters more. It doesn't help that I'm in competitive alliance thats usually t20, and it kills me to let my people down. I've definitely felt how you feel, and I don't even have kids or a girlfriend at the moment lol. I've found that you've gotta just let the zen flow. It may not happen at the pace you'd like, but with a roster at your level your bound to get those covers eventually in some form or another.