Point loss and tournaments

fudgecake
fudgecake Posts: 18
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Anyone think that the level of point loss and how tournaments are is pretty bad atm? It currently encourages not participating at all until the last 2 hours to get the most points and to avoid getting targeted. In tournaments where I stay at a high rank for multiple days I find my self losing 50 points in the time I gain 20 in the final stretch while waiting at a low rank to target high tankers yields more success. This with the lack of real defense makes me not want to even bother with a week long tournament until the last 3 hours.

Comments

• fudgecake wrote:
    Anyone think that the level of point loss and how tournaments are is pretty bad atm?
    Nope. No one at all. There isn't already a dozen threads on the topic or anything like that.
  • I don't mind it too much but then and again, last 1 min of the last tourney, I was sitting comfortably on 7th, and got attacked twice and went down to 17th.
    Absolutely nothing I could do. Can't help but feel that's a bit unfair ?
  • fudgecake wrote:
    Anyone think that the level of point loss and how tournaments are is pretty bad atm?
    Nope. No one at all. There isn't already a dozen threads on the topic or anything like that.

icon_lol.gif Hopefully the devs work out a solution since it's obvious everybody thinks it's a horrible system
  • that last minute is just hoping that someone isn't in a game smashing ur characters. i had a 100 point lead on 2nd place in my bracket and still in that last minute, i was attacking away knowing two ppl smashing my characters could drop me low.
  • forgrim wrote:
    that last minute is just hoping that someone isn't in a game smashing ur characters. i had a 100 point lead on 2nd place in my bracket and still in that last minute, i was attacking away knowing two ppl smashing my characters could drop me low.

Yeap. So it feels very luck based and not much you can do even while you're playing...
    As well, I don't think I'll waste resources for final pushes any more though, unless I really want the prize.
  • 8BitLegacy wrote:
    Yeap. So it feels very luck based and not much you can do even while you're playing...
    As well, I don't think I'll waste resources for final pushes any more though, unless I really want the prize.
    I'm considering sandbagging a tourney to get easier bracket placement in the next one, but I'm not exactly sure how they determine brackets.
  • I'm going to try not even getting into a bracket until a few hours in (if not the next day). This time, I dropped from 2nd to 60th or so in about an hour...
  • Like almost everyone here, I completely agree. Quick fingers and luck decide placement in the last few minutes. It always seems like the first 98% of tournaments doesn't really matter.
  • Luck based is right.

Top 10 almost the entire tournament, 1st with 24 hours to go. Went to sleep, wake up at about rank 70 or so. Work my way back up, losing alot of points but slowly inching my back into the top ten. With about 15 minutes to go I started hemorrhaging points, losing far more points than I was gaining and then with a couple of minutes left I finish a 20 point match to find ive lost over 200...

I wont be buying anymore hp or or iso until somethings done with this issue. I really love the game but damn its demoralising to spend all that time (and sometimes money) playing well to get a good rank only to lose because of unlucky matchmaking.
  • Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Yup. I was 10th place with 1 minute to go. I got in a last minute battle for 10 points. As the battle finishes, I see one last "You've been attacked!" screen.

Dropped out of the top 10. icon_e_sad.gif
  • I think group by points is really fair than level the one who leech out points are people who have 200 or 300 point lower they leech out 45 to 50 points.

If you group them in points this will also group them fairly to levels, as the game progress lower level can reach higher points
    you don't want a sudden attack and leeching off 40 - 50 points from lower points players.

There is also spamming leechers who know you have higher point and leech you in the end of the tournament which make you drop incredible fast at the end of the points.
    So they spammed you 3 to 4 times and you can only get back at them once. This strongly needs to change !! ( I don't want to name IGN but I think most of you know this infamous leechers icon_mad.gif )

As they leech 20+ per win so if you count 2 times you will lose around 50+, 3 times around 70 to 60.
  • Point loss is way too high considering that you can be attacked by any number of people at any time, whereas you can only attack one at a time.
  • And that just about any team can beat another team -- my team of a L53 Thor, L40 Iron Man Mk35, and L23 Punisher was beaten twice last night by a L15 3* Black Widow (purple power only), L21 Juggernaut, and L41 Iron Man Mk35. Note the complete lack of C Storm in either team, so it wasn't even that.

And no, I didn't retaliate -- I lost 40 points each time and would've only regained 13 or 17. He found me randomly twice.

I was in the top 10 the last few days (even briefly #1) in my bracket and just barely made top 25. And I waited until the morning after the tournament started to get in what I hoped would be an easier bracket.

I rarely attacked anyone that wouldn't give me at least 23 points (25 points is what you get for someone your point level; it scales down quickly, but not up quickly) since getting 10-15 points from someone who can retaliate and hit you for 40 just doesn't make sense. I mostly targeted people above me in points, since that would give me 30-ish points and their retaliation would only make me lose 15ish.

I'm certainly not spending money on this until there are tweaks to the scoring system. I took the advice offered here on playing a more defensive team -- it certainly reduced the overnight attacks to a degree, but I'd still lose 15-20% instead of 25-30%. And the last hour makes the entire week of playing seem pointless, when people who stay "under the radar" can rocket into the top of the bracket while at the same time reducing the effects of retaliation since the points you earn from them are based on what they had when they attacked rather than what they have now.

That both people who have invested heavily in the game and those of us who are f2p are complaining pretty much equally is telling that something is wrong. Maybe this kind of scoring system works for Marvel: Avenger's Alliance (I've never played it), but it's not working very well here.
  • Honestly, it doesn't bother me too much. I just feel bad for the people who can't play at the end time of the tournament because they are in Europe. So, they really get screwed beep cause the nature of these tournaments being so reliant on where you finish at the end.
  • MaTThZero
    MaTThZero Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    yes Im an european player aswell and there is absolutely no way for me to compete in any tournament because the touranments end at 6AM my time.. maybe they could do tournaments that finish for european times aswell .. or finish at a time that is better for europe and the states aswell .. like maybe the tournament last at least a few hours more
  • 5 am for me. But the biggest problem is all decided in last minute and cause of boosts it is not possible to defend yourself.