Community Moderators Wanted!

Options
13»

Comments

• jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MTGOFerret wrote:
    I think everyone keeps missing the point that you'd be a mod for all the forums not just a sub forum or two.

That's unreasonable. The alliance sub-forum has almost as much volume as the other sub-forums combined. And I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of trolls bugging rivals in their alliance threads.

If you have team of mods dedicated to a couple of sub-forums, they don't need to monitor that much. Plus, if a mod for a specific forum is unavailable, another could quickly cover for them.
  • As for Alliance forums - I think we don't really need a moderator there beside the kitchens stuff or in order to move someone's offer into the main recruitment topic. I think we should treat each Alliance thread as their own playground. And unless someone is deliberately tinnykitting there (which they should just report), no reason for moderator to get involved.

Moderators should be able to only moderatore certain subforum to which they'e dedicated _as well as_ General Discussion, which definitely needs more than 1 mod.

Once again - I suggest creating new subforum - Tournaments and Events (I can take care of it* icon_cool.gif ). This would make General Discussion more user-friendly.

Moderators should also consider using a pattern - for example in Character Discussion all the generic characters discussion should look the same (some of them do already, some don't) - I really like "*** Char_Name (Subname) ***" where the amount of stars is obviously the rarity of the character.

*I will happily clean up General Discussion, moving related threads to the new subforum.
  • jojeda654 wrote:
    MTGOFerret wrote:
    I think everyone keeps missing the point that you'd be a mod for all the forums not just a sub forum or two.

That's unreasonable. The alliance sub-forum has almost as much volume as the other sub-forums combined. And I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of trolls bugging rivals in their alliance threads.

If you have team of mods dedicated to a couple of sub-forums, they don't need to monitor that much. Plus, if a mod for a specific forum is unavailable, another could quickly cover for them.

Not of matter of reasonable or not its a matter of what is being asked. If you feel that its unreasonable then don't step up.
    But what IS unreasonable, is to apply for a job then complain about, or refuse to do what was asked to do what was in the description.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MTGOFerret wrote:
    But what IS unreasonable, is to apply for a job then complain about, or refuse to do what was asked to do what was in the description.

Oh I'm not applying, but I thought the requirements implied that a mod is not expected to monitor the entire board.
    IceIX wrote:
    To apply:
    Send a PM to IceIX with:
    - Reasoning behind wanting to be a mod
    - Which sub-forums you're interested in keeping tabs on
  • The moderators should have their own sub forum so they can discuss any changes they are making so two mods are not working on the same thing (like the character discussion pages). And talk about other stuff too. It's easier to stay on the forum rather than switching between the forum and a chat app.
  • jojeda654 wrote:
    MTGOFerret wrote:

Oh I'm not applying, but I thought the requirements implied that a mod is not expected to monitor the entire board.
    IceIX wrote:
    To apply:
    Send a PM to IceIX with:
    - Reasoning behind wanting to be a mod
    - Which sub-forums you're interested in keeping tabs on
    We want:
    - Users that have experience with the community. That doesn't mean you have to have 1K+ posts necessarily, but you should know the ebb and flow of the forums in general.
    - Users that don't keep themselves to one sub-forum. We have mod needs for all the subs, not just General Discussion.
    - Users that are strong in the ways of the English language and can communicate clearly. Being able to speak lolcat or doge is not required, but iz soemtimez gud.
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    We want:
    - Users that have experience with the community. That doesn't mean you have to have 1K+ posts necessarily, but you should know the ebb and flow of the forums in general.
    - Users that don't keep themselves to one sub-forum. We have mod needs for all the subs, not just General Discussion.
    - Users that are strong in the ways of the English language and can communicate clearly. Being able to speak lolcat or doge is not required, but iz soemtimez gud.
    That doesn't say each mod must be active in every sub-forum, just that their needs span subs and they want the mods active in more than 1 sub. I applied and said I'd be happy to mod for general and suggestions/feedback forums, b/c that's where I spend most of my time (and the news & announcements - out of control, I'm telling you).
  • No worries, Im not trying to pick a fight here as much as pointing out that its not completely out of the realm of possibilities and that people shouldn't be surprised if its asked is all.
  • Fair enough. Assuming a sufficient number of moderators, it's more or less a moot point anyway - they'll pick mods who are active in each sub-forum so as to make the modding a natural part of that person's browsing habits.

I tend to get to work in the morning, skim the 2 pages of unread threads that have accumulated since the night before and then click "mark all threads read". So I'd make a terrible mod for the non-US time zones. But once I'm at work, I'm compulsively refreshing the general page every 20-30 minutes (at most).
  • Overwhelmed with applications? Or are you attempting to bribe peeps into taking the job? Lol.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And I was hoping to find an Intergalactic space fleet to ban.
  • Congrats to all the new mods!
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At the top of each post is a little triangle with an exclamation point -- anyone can report a post.

As a moderator, I now see threads containing posts that have been flagged. So far, all of these flagged posts, at least the ones that I've seen, have been from spammers. With forum members flagging them, they become very easy to spot and remove.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Responsibilities:

- Warn users for breaking the rules

Honest question: What Rules?

I've clicked through the FAQ and other links, but haven't seen rules for the forum.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    mouser wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Responsibilities:

I've clicked through the FAQ and other links, but haven't seen rules for the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4
  • Nemek wrote:
    mouser wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Responsibilities:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4

The all encompassing "don't be a dbag" clause basically settles "the rules" for this forum. Of course, there is also an article in it to cover "anything we decide we don't want." You won't get banned for a first post of that material, but you invoke the DBC if you constantly repost it.

Also, K.I.t.c.h.e.n.s.... I think ICEIX's cat got crushed by one or something so the whole word is off limits. I assume it slipped off and killed his cat because it.... ..... wasn't fitted. Anyone wanna guess his cat's name? It was kitchen
  • Congrats to new mods