boss event idea

carrion_pigeons
carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
I had an idea I wondered if people would like, and thought I'd ask.

People hate the idea of boss events that are hard enough to make you fail, because then your characters are dead and that sucks and feels way too punishing. But how would you feel if instead of your characters *dying*, they instead got "captured" and members of your alliance could have a means of freeing them?

For example: I go to fight a boss, hoping to get a lot of points, but I lose halfway through and my team gets captured and becomes unusable to me. But then if I or an alliance mate attempts the boss again, then all you have to do is make it as far as you did on your failed attempt, and then it "frees" the captive team. This would have the effect of, whenever you lose with your current team, the old team automatically replaces it, like your own personal wave node, at full health, so you can just keep going with a fresh team.

I think the idea is particularly cool for weaker rosters since it means they don't necessarily get scaled out of boss fights - all they have to do is be on "rescue duty" and they can beat the node with the stronger characters of alliance mates.

This is great for boss fights specifically since those have an inherently limited number of attempts and this makes it so alliances can use some strategy on how to manage those attempts without being able to completely cheese an event.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is the simple thing to do. For boss events when you clear the first node you get unlimited health packs for an hour. It should not take you an hour to play the full clear, but by giving unlimited health packs for a short time you are not punished for trying overscaled teams. If this spills over to PVP or a PVE so be it. Boss rush still would not be fun, but I would be more willing to try if I knew I was not going to be punished for trying to figure out how to beat an over scaled tinykitty event.

This is actually a mechanic in candy crush and is one of the reasons my wife went back to that game over MPQ. When she wins C number of levels she gets a prize of unlimited lives for X# of ours. This lets her keep trying hard levels and does not care if she fails.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Well, I was hoping to come up with an idea that would actually be fun. I don't hate the idea of giving people more incentive to experiment, but I don't really think most players actually burn their way through all their health packs even now. Candy Crush is a much more failure-driven game than MPQ is.

Would you not enjoy a mechanic that has you interacting with an alliance mate's roster? Or a mechanic that turns failure into a potential strategic opportunity? I think these things sound pretty engaging, personally, but I guess you never know how things will be taken generally.