Boss Rush Round 8 Glitch?

TimGunn
TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I made it to Round 8 this morning. It says the boss has 680,000 points. But it also says beating the boss will give me 9,000 points. This must be a mistake? If not, that is the tiniest cat. It would be impossible (70 plus times to beat round 8).

Maybe a display glitch. Would think 90,000 would be more reasonable. Roughly 7 times to beat the round. Think round 7 was also 7 times (if you won every fight!)

Also, since I haven't posted it elsewhere, here is My Review of Boss Rush:

Worst event ever. F+

1. scaling is ridiculous and frankly insulting, especially since it started in Round 3. Round 3 should be reasonably achievable for people with 3-star rosters.

2. wave nature and no stun on top of the scaling make difficulty extremely high - to the point it is not fun, only frustrating

3. i made it to round 8 using winfinity. While it worked on most battles, using winfinity to take out 150,000 HP a fight is NOT fun. Long, grind, chore. Feels more like gaming the system and not really playing the game.

4. Change to individual boss take down from alliance boss take down is a mixed change for me. I liked to work together with my alliance and everybody get the prize. Alliance progression prize does not appear anywhere else in game. On the other hand, since the scaling is so terrible, it removed the problem of alliance members with smaller rosters not being able to carry their weight. That happens every boss PVE, but usually not until round 7 or 8, and the stronger alliance members can carry the team to the end. Due to scaling, would have happened here at round 3!!! (might be a reason they made this change!)

5. Communication from devs was terrible. Did not tell anyone the key change of individual boss take down instead of alliance boss take down. This changes people's strategy, but I didn't even know about it until 1.5 hours into event.

6. Boss health and score targets need commas. Hard to read that many digits in a row without it being broken up.

And I said this last year after the Galactus debacle (again due to scaling, SMH): I lose quite enough IRL. We play games like MPQ to win. And while we may not win every aspect, may not reach top progression in PVP or make top 10 in PVE regularly, if you put in the effort, you can build a roster where you win 90-95% of every match you play. And that is the appeal of the game. Why destroy the fundamental, structural design element for these boss PVEs? A design of losing most matches, with a [good] possibility of winning the ultimate war is fundamentally at odds with the normal MQP structure.

But of course with Boss Rush, we instead got lose most matches and very low likelihood to finish ultimate war. So a failure in every possible sense.

So disappointing. The anniversary was going so well with only small complaints.

I'm also thinking of complaining directly to Marvel. They'd probably like to know that my (our) interactions with their brand have now become a source of extreme frustration and outrage.

Comments

• Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    TimGunn wrote:
    Maybe a display glitch. Would think 90,000 would be more reasonable. Roughly 7 times to beat the round. Think round 7 was also 7 times (if you won every fight!)

Had the same thought when it first popped up. I'm fairly certain it is just a display glitch.

Got three fights in earlier, managed to get Phoenix down to around half health and walked away with something like 15k points. Lost the other two within two turns because she's ridiculous.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I gave both of you a thumbs up for just making it to round 8. Dare I ask how much health boss #1 has?
  • Skygazing
    wymtime wrote:
    Dare I ask how much health boss #1 has?

It will depend at least somewhat on individual scaling, but for me Phoenix has 57k.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    What's winfinity
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    May I ask which team is the winfinite here? Or s everyone talking about it in hushed whispers, afraid it'll get nerfed ASAP if it's mentioned? =(
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2016
    The game is bugged as ********

I got 30k (or even 15k) in round 7 for at least 3 times insted of 45.000

It seems if you manage to make "no moves given to boss" you might get a fat NOTHING!

See below for screenshots.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would have times when the progress screen shows me hitting a reward, but then I don't win a reward. And then I win the reward after the next battle, so it's definitely not giving out the number of points that it should. After a 20-minute winfinite battle of 500-hit point attacks, it's sad not to win all the points that I should!
  • Skygazing
    May I ask which team is the winfinite here? Or s everyone talking about it in hushed whispers, afraid it'll get nerfed ASAP if it's mentioned? =(

It's been posted in other threads so I don't think there's much worry about it, plus none of the characters are at all OP enough on their own to warrant a nerf. There are two teams which people refer to as "winfinite" or less commonly "winfinity".

Most often "winfinite" refers to SW/GSBW/PX, also sometimes called "Charles' Angels". SW helps to both fuel GSBW Purple and activate PX Blue, for more AP and high bursts of damage. Most players keep him underleveled so that the team's strongest color is purple, and all of that AP is used with GSBW Purple to make green match-5s that further fuel PX Blue and eventually GSBW Green. Once you hit 11 purple, it's highly unlikely you'll ever have to make a match again. It's a very quick team once it launches, but it's also very squishy.

The second is Hulk/KK/MoStorm, sometimes called "Hulkfinite" or "Slowfinite", and it's more common for this type of event given that it was conceived as a result of Galactus and only really works versus overscaled enemies. Hulk Black triggers off of the high match damage done by bosses and creates lots of green. With that AP you can activate MoStorm Green repeatedly to keep getting AP, MoStorm Yellow to clear TU tiles (netting you more AP in relevant colors), and KK Purple to make even more green, while KK Yellow keeps you healed in case the board stagnates and you need to make a match.

The biggest problem with this one is the slowness of it. You don't ever use high damage powers, so all of your damage is coming from the resultant cascades of MoStorm Green and KK Purple, along with the low output of MoStorm Yellow. Matches will regularly take 20+ minutes (was up to almost 30 in R7 for me), but it's easily the most consistent option and the most accessible since it only requires 3*s.

There is also a moderately successful variation on this that replaces Hulk with 4* Cyke. It's definitely quicker but takes longer to get started and is more susceptible to bad luck. Really you could replace Hulk with any other character you feel might work (actives in red, blue, and/or black that deal high damage and/or manipulate the board, or any non-purple power that accelerates green), since once you have enough green and purple the bulk of the combo comes from KK and MoStorm.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2016
    Using Hulkfinite.

I got 30.000 (or maybe even 15.000) in round 7 for at least 3 times instead of 45.000
    One (or two) boss was not counted.
    It seems that if you manage to make "no moves given to boss" you might get a fat NOTHING!

Before boss: 73.739
    2z4i9w5.png

All 3 bosses killed +45.000
    As it is counting down it should be: 73.739 - 45.000 = 28.739
    However only 30.000 is deducted: 73.739 - 30.000 = 43.739
    nfquc9.png

After boss ("outside): 43.739 where it should be 28.739
    9uc6zn.png

In the end I had to do about 4 more clears in round 7!

Do yourself a favour and do a screenshots BEFORE and AFTER boss fight.
    And better maybe allow him one move near end when you have ~30AP greentile.png to immediately clean after him.

EDIT.

I have to stand corrected - givinng a boss one round does not secure your points in this buggy TinyKiTTy.
    You still get NOTHING from some bosses.

Round 8

Before boss: 384.607
    sngk5c.png

All 3 bosses killed +90.000
    As it is counting down it should be:
    384.607 - 90.000 = 294.607
    However this time only 60.000 is deducted:
    384.607 - 60.000 = 324.607
    2im6mqf.png

After boss ("outside): 324.607 where it should be 294.607
    72dsoz.png
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skygazing wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    Dare I ask how much health boss #1 has?

It will depend at least somewhat on individual scaling, but for me Phoenix has 57k.
    Wow I had 90k health bosses in round 6 which is why I quite when I did. I am also assuming this is the reason when I tried some of the suggested strategies I got Rolf-stomped my OML. Good luck to you in round 8. You deserve extra Peggy covers for sticking it out
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Beating bosses in Round 8 gave 90k points not 9k. Confirm Typo on front screen.