Thing in the Ice bug or cheat

Options
reidsatt73
reidsatt73 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
playing against a user named Killwind Thing in the Ice was on the board along with all my creatures and his deck cast Crush of Tentacles. Following that in the next round his Thing in the Ice came back out and immediately transforms. How is this possible?

Comments

• jimilinho_
    Options
    There's currently a bug where everyone plays against Killwind. It's not just you
  • killwind
    killwind Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Gentlemen,

I was unaware of the bug that you described. I have since dismantled that deck. I would like to understand the situation/circumstances better to see if I can personally replicate this in the story mode. Did you get a screen shot of it after Awoken Horror auto spawned on you. I have some theories about this but I need to see if I can make it happen. I believe that you were facing my either of my Jaces. Do you recall if it was J1 or J2?

So on the board we have a Crush, was the thing in the ice in play or did it bounce back an Awoken Horror?

I must have had several supports in place already. Do you recall the supports in play? I haven't seen this in any of my games where the awoken horror auto spawns.

Things I have done to make things in the Ice transform:
    If I turn to frog my own thing it destroys the Thing but does not spawn awoken horror.
    If my opponent cast turn to frog on the thing in the ice it will spawns the horror as well as gives me a frog
    If i crush the Thing in the ice, the awoken horror fails to spawn.
    If an opponent casts crush on Thing in the Ice, the horror spawns destroying the tentacles.
    If I disperse or force it back to my hand with harbinger or just the wind nothing happens.
    If an opponent does the same thing its bounces to my hand with no horror making an appearance.
    I have cast every buff spell imaginable on the thing in the ice in the hopes that I could force an early spawn.
    I do cast haunted cloak on it every chance it comes up.

So tell me what/when/how
  • Rogan_Josh
    Rogan_Josh Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hi Killwind,

I haven't played against your Thing deck but i've just had another battle with a similar problem. Unfortunately i didn't capture the battle but what i can do is post the info i remember here, the more info the better right?

Circumstances
    opponent using Jace1.
    Thing in the Ice has been cast and reinforced once.
    Currently the TitI is 0/8.
    I have an Olivia on board which has been further boosted by Nahiri's first ability making it 14/14.
    I play reflector mage to bounce the TitI to his hand, Olivia attacks and the turn passes.
    There is one Clash of Wills on the board which counts down.
    TitI is played again but comes into play and immediately transforms (no other action happened or triggered between these two events).
    I check TitI, Awoken horror's stats are correct, TitI's stats show 0/6 though.

cards opponent used
    Thing in the Ice
    Negate
    Disperse
    Clash of Wills
    Catalog
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Stitched Mangler
    Stitchwing Skaab

speculation
    At a guess i don't think it is any combination of cards causing a bug, i suspect that because TitI has already been cast and returned to the hand it might still have it's ability active somehow. I'll be honest i can't remember every action blow by blow so there is a good chance two spells or supports were cast before TitI was cast. Actually thinking about it, bouncing it with Reflector Mage should have made it impossible to cast again straight away so it must have sat in opponent's hand for one turn.

I'll be recording every Jace game i play and see if i can get footage of it happening.
  • OhanaUnited
    OhanaUnited Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    I tried to use Pathway Arrows to disable Thing in Ice. It ended up transforming and return my creatures to my hand after dropping its health. But shouldn't the creature be disabled so its transform ability isn't triggered?
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There was a mention Pre-1.7 that I included in the SOI bugslist that mentions this:

Thing in the Ice - Transforms upon cast if bounced after transformation and played again.

There was no further details on the circumstances though it is probably related to the fact that each side of the card is tracked separately.

Kindly Stranger had/has similar issues.
  • Killyah
    Killyah Posts: 18
    Options
    Thing in the Ice - Transforms upon cast if bounced after transformation and played again.

This is exactly what I've noticed as well.

In relation to the op's original issue, I believe that if the thing in the ice was at 0/7 when a mass bounce spell was cast, that may have knocked it to 0/6 and transformed it in a way that wasn't visible to the player. When it's recast then the bug above happens and it appears as an awoken horror