Community anniversdary 2017

Punatulkku
Punatulkku Posts: 228
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, how would we, the players do next years anniversary? 7 days, some pve and pvp events with some boss activity. GO, lets show how we would manage to bring fun back to mpq

Comments

• Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Double Iso, every player gets free 500HP and a legendary token.

Tweak the boss rush to make it more gauntlet like, and keep it as a 7 day extra event on top off the normal pvp and pve event rotation. Place a guaranteed Devil Dino cover in there somewhere at the halfway point so most players with an average roster can get it.
  • I would add new "mirror node" to game. What ever is your team, what ever lvl of your heroes you select, it will be against you. Would be hilarious to see how computer and luck plays out
  • Add an to infinity and beyond event. Just an endless number of waves/opponents and with each wave cleared the opponents gain +5/10 levels. For each wave cleared get 1k ISO. Each wave will be different enemies and you will be able to select any character from your roster.

And what the community would really appreciate about any coming event, but especially those in a festive week like the anniversary, is that the evenst are actually being tested and information will be given up front.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    OK first off let me start by analyzing what was good and bad in this anniversary.

Good:
    - Double ISO
    - Anniversary Vault

Bad:
    - Boss Rush (more on this later)
    - BFF (MMR didn't seem to work real well with 2 teams, great concept that I wouldn't mind seeing if tweaked)
    - Class of 2016
    - Didn't use SCL

Why is Boss Rush bad:
    - Brutal to the point of ridiculous scaling on the bosses
    - Rewards are laughably low compared to difficulty
    - Still uses the mechnic of the henchmen nodes scaling up every 8 hours that's pretty much universilly disliked.
    - Not an alliance event

Improvements I'd like to see over next year:
    1. I didn't like the first two PvE events being normal done to death events while PvP getting 100% unique. There should be more unique PvE events (at least 1 outside the boss event).

2. I'd like to see a boss event where the following happen:
    a. The scaling on the boss should be such that he's beatable without too much difficulty into level 5 or 6. Level 8 should be the difficulty that level 3/4 are in this event. You would obviously need to increase the amount of time the boss has to be beat each round to make this work, but that's fine. Being a little grindy would be a welcome change to the way Boss Rush went.
    b. Do away with the 8 hour scaling increases. Increase the scaling on both boss and henchmen by level only.
    c. Better rewards. Round reward should be 5* or LT or 25 CP not a 3*...
    d. Make it an alliance event (this is the least important.

3. It would be nice if instead of each event having it's own event having it's own vault in addition to the anniversary one, make them all go into the anniversary vault.

4. Test the events better. It seems like every new event has some major issues with them.

5. For class of 2016 it was only really viable for whales and/or people with high enough rosters to max out a lot of newer characters. For class of 2017 why not make a loner of each character available. The loaners shouldn't be phenomenal, obviously, but something that at least allows people without strong newer characters to participate.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    b. Do away with the 8 hour scaling increases. Increase the scaling on both boss and henchmen by level only.

I'll start with this: I don't like the 8 hour scaling for Boss Events (Civil War, Ultron, etc.). But, I can kind of understand the stated logic behind it. For Civil War, it's goal was to prevent Alliances from clearing both sides (as I understand it).

That system doesn't fundamentally work when there are a) a single boss, not two or b) no alliance points to get to progression. Standard use case: An alliance mate joins halfway through event (life, etc.). They won't have earned any round rewards in Boss Rush (as there are no alliance rewards), and their boss is at level 50. But the nodes are at 400. For what purpose is the barrier there?
  • I would also add tokens, that let you select any cover you need from your guys. So that you can finish required characters or champion further your roster icon_e_smile.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punatulkku wrote:
    So, how would we, the players do next years anniversary?
    Chip in and hire a playtester?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't let scaling go out of control. If you only need to win an event once, and you get many changes, then sure make it hard. But if you only get one chance and you need to win it many times, then don't make it crazy tough. Also make sure that someone wins that event, they get the full amount of allotted points.
  • Dark Nova
    Dark Nova Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Anniversary celebrations should be all about having fun and receiving gifts you weren't expecting. I'd introduce a new "mint condition" type of character cover that would appear randomly as an unexpected reward for matches in anniversary events. These special covers do not raise any power levels; instead they boost the level of that character to the current capped level. So, if you have a 4* character at level 100 with a 5/5/1 build, adding a mint condition cover would immediately take the character to level 229.

A mint condition cover reward does not join the 'vine' and must be applied to the corresponding character immediately, otherwise it is forfeited. This means that the reward could be worth anything between zero and 365,000 ISO! If the character is already champed, or is not rostered at the time, the mint condition cover can be exchanged for a new roster slot. Happy Anniversary!! icon_e_smile.gif

The choice of character(s) and frequency of appearance would be determined by the devs, but the idea is that the more matches a person plays, the more chances they have of receiving this random super-reward. The reward could appear in PvE nodes, in the Deadpool Daily, in PvP, in Boss Battles...anywhere! The reward is not guaranteed and cannot be bought (sorry, whales); the only way to possibly get one is to play matches in the hope of getting lucky. Of course, if you want to play more to increase your chances, you can always buy health packs and start grinding. Hopefully this will dissuade bracket sniping and give newbies a chance at catching up with some of the veterans!
  • Punatulkku wrote:
    I would also add tokens, that let you select any cover you need from your guys. So that you can finish required characters or champion further your roster icon_e_smile.gif

Yes, maybe a few flexi-tokens in the Anniversary vault. I've already drawn a 4* cover that I can't use. How about a week long resource conversion amnesty ? Cash in for example a Critical boost and receive 500 ISO ? Double regular ISO for selling covers etc.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Punatulkku wrote:
    So, how would we, the players do next years anniversary?
    Chip in and hire a playtester?

When they say the game is rigorously playtested I can only assume they mean for bugs and crashes and stuff like that.
    It cannot possibly be tested in a proof-of-concept kind of way. I cannoy imagine they had a room full of people who played Boss Rush mode and all of them said "Yes. This scaling is perfect. Nailed it."
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Punatulkku wrote:
    So, how would we, the players do next years anniversary? 7 days, some pve and pvp events with some boss activity. GO, lets show how we would manage to bring fun back to mpq

New Boss Rush! Boss levels are three Galactuses in a row, and he starts with 25 black AP!

New and improved BFF: only OML and Phx are boosted!

New and improved Balance of Power: only the AI gets boosted, your characters are left at base level!

Thick as Thieves and Venom Heroic running concurrently, and both extended to 7 day events!

These are only a few of the plans for the four year anniversary. I think you'll agree, it'll be our most challenging celebration yet!
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Special PvE event that's like a mini-gauntlet. Boss fights that can be as tough as what we're seeing here, but they're one-and-done for a substantial reward (10K ISO, Legendary Token, 4* cover, that sort of thing).

Tasks that can be fun once quickly become miserable when you have to do them again and again. Let's not make people miserable during anniversary week.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let's not make people miserable during anniversary week.
    Anniversaries this miserable, usually end in divorce...
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    You know what would have been a fun anniversary event? Boss Rush, but with all of MPQ's characters unlocked in "loaner" mode, allowing players to go nuts for 3-4 days and dabble with fully covered characters they never get to play, without having to worry about health packs.

It's not something you'd ever run as a regular PVE (and maybe you'd have lock out 5*s or people might not use anything else), but that would be a fun, unique event that would have both veterans and new players diving in and sharing stories about new team combos. THAT's how you celebrate an anniversary, not this ultra-punishing mess that has people looking for the exit.
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    Remeber the 1st Anniversary? That was great. Just do that again. Those 20 person LRs were amazing!

Last year sucked, this year sucks. More whales now than ever, how can it be so hard for D3 to give us something good!