What is the scaling problem?

bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Please forgive me for not knowing, but I'm new to this forum and have heard many people complain about scaling. Could someone please explain what the frustration is? I'm guessing it's when you complete a mission in a PvE node and the enemies levels increase each time. This does create harder and harder missions, but I'm still able to complete them, but sometimes I use boosts.

Is there another effect where the enemy levels are based on your current roster? I believe so; so does that mean you should evenly level up your best characters instead of leveling up just 1 to their max?

I think the most frustrating thing in the game is the scaling cost of ISO to level up characters. You can quickly level them up to 75% of their max, but then it's a crawl the rest of the way. With characters being released every 2 weeks, we need some help to level them up before working on another character. With this system, you end up having many characters that are between 50% and 75% of their max.

Comments

• Jdob84
    Jdob84 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    bbigler wrote:
    Please forgive me for not knowing, but I'm new to this forum and have heard many people complain about scaling. Could someone please explain what the frustration is? I'm guessing it's when you complete a mission in a PvE node and the enemies levels increase each time. This does create harder and harder missions, but I'm still able to complete them, but sometimes I use boosts.

Is there another effect where the enemy levels are based on your current roster? I believe so; so does that mean you should evenly level up your best characters instead of leveling up just 1 to their max?

I think the most frustrating thing in the game is the scaling cost of ISO to level up characters. You can quickly level them up to 75% of their max, but then it's a crawl the rest of the way. With characters being released every 2 weeks, we need some help to level them up before working on another character. With this system, you end up having many characters that are between 50% and 75% of their max.

So.. Where to begin with scaling...

Yes, scaling refers to how hard the enemy skill levels are in PVE. No one knows the EXACT formula on how the game scales (other than the developers), but basically the higher skill level your best 3 players are (average) is what the enemy skill is based on. If you have a roster of mostly 2 star.png , and 3 star.png characters, and then you have 2 or 3 highly scaled 4 or 5 stars, the game will scale thinking you are a higher level player than you really are. This makes it very difficult when getting a 5 star character and leveling him/her up before the rest of the roster is ready. It will throw off your average character level and the game will think you are a more skilled player than you really are.

This can make for some very difficult scaling issues and make PVE very difficult (but not impossible) for some of the higher level nodes.

Hope this helps.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    So.. Where to begin with scaling...

Yes, scaling refers to how hard the enemy skill levels are in PVE. No one knows the EXACT formula on how the game scales (other than the developers), but basically the higher skill level your best 3 players are (average) is what the enemy skill is based on. If you have a roster of mostly 2 star.png , and 3 star.png characters, and then you have 2 or 3 highly scaled 4 or 5 stars, the game will scale thinking you are a higher level player than you really are. This makes it very difficult when getting a 5 star character and leveling him/her up before the rest of the roster is ready. It will throw off your average character level and the game will think you are a more skilled player than you really are.

This can make for some very difficult scaling issues and make PVE very difficult (but not impossible) for some of the higher level nodes.

Hope this helps.

I have a handful of 5 stars that I'm keeping at level 255 until I get more covers. My main fighting army is composed of championed 3 stars while I'm working to level up my 4 stars to a fighting level. Another person said that the minimum to fight with a 4 star would be 10 covers and level 200; that sounds a little weak to me.