What affects scaling?

Mechahamster
Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I've searched around the forum a bit, but haven't found any consensus. Does anyone know what all factors into deciding your scaling?

During the last few events I've noticed the scaling creeping up quite significantly. Whereas the hardest non essential node used to cap out at around lvl 200, now after just two fights Back in Red and Black is already 165, and the max level is starting to go over 250.

I'm a 3 star player. I've champed a few 3 stars recently but nothing over lvl 171. My 4 stars are non existant. The boosted characters are all not fully covered and none of them are above lvl 200. I have 2 single cover 5 star.png but I've had those for ages.

Has this rise in difficulty been caused by the fact I've grown my roster sideways (more maxed 3 stars)?

Seems a bit weird. I'm not using better characters, I just have a few more 3 star.png

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's the top 3 characters on your roster AFTER boosts. If you have more champed 3s, you have a greater chance of having more boosted characters getting to your top 3 and thus higher scaling.
  • Mechahamster
    So those two 1 cover 5 star.png make my game annoyingly difficult because the average is now 70 levels higher than my playable characters? That seems kinda lame.
  • St1nkf1st
    St1nkf1st Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    So those two 1 cover 5 star.png make my game annoyingly difficult because the average is now 70 levels higher than my playable characters? That seems kinda lame.

Wasn't there a change to scaling calculation that also considers amount of covers, so a 1-2 covers 5 star.png won't do much harm for low level rosters?
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    No such change was implemented to my knowledge.
  • Mechahamster
    So should I just sell those 5 star.png then because all they do for me right now is make the game more difficult?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    So should I just sell those 5 star.png then because all they do for me right now is make the game more difficult?

I've seen people argue both ways. IMO it depends on how many 5*s you have, how many covers for each, and how far you are into your roster in general. Once you have more than 3-5 championed 3* the 5* scaling tax isn't that bad (speaking as someone who went through it). I ended up with 3 5* before I knew what championing even was. I did end up selling 2 of my 5* and leaving a 3rd, but this was after I had several 3* champs and there wasn't a stark difference and I regret it to this day. However if you are still working on championing 2*s or your first 3*s and you only have 1 or 2 5* covers total, it's probably worth it for you.
  • Mechahamster
    I have 9 champed 2* and the other 4 have a rotation spot for PVE. I have 37 3* rostered of which 12 are champed, highest is 172. I have 22 4* rostered, of which IW has the most covers at 7.

I currently have a 3* and 4* in queue waiting for room. Am considering dumping my 2 single covered 5* for them.

Should I do this?
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Should I keep 5* BW? I don't use her at all. My highest character is lvl 171 IM40, 7x 3* champs.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I have 9 champed 2* and the other 4 have a rotation spot for PVE. I have 37 3* rostered of which 12 are champed, highest is 172. I have 22 4* rostered, of which IW has the most covers at 7.

I currently have a 3* and 4* in queue waiting for room. Am considering dumping my 2 single covered 5* for them.

Should I do this?

I'd say no. 3*s are fairly common enough and if nothing else you'll get the character again in 40 days thanks to DDQ. 4* is a tougher call, especially depending on who they are, but with SCL 4*s are becoming slightly easier to acquire.

So, I'd say if you have a top 4* give it the spot for the rotating 2*, sell the 3*, and keep the 5*s.
    Alsmir wrote:
    Should I keep 5* BW? I don't use her at all. My highest character is lvl 171 IM40, 7x 3* champs.

Keep it. With 7 3* champs, one 5* shouldn't be messing up your scaling too much.
  • Mechahamster
    The 4 star.png is Quake. I would gladly drop a 5 star.png if it meant my scaling drops 40 levels though.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards

Should I do this?

If your primary concern is scaling then no. I dumped 2 5*s when I had 3-4 3* champs and I've regretted it ever since. It made almost no impact on scaling.

If your primary concern is roster slots, then that depends on the speed in which you are getting HP to add more roster slots and which 3* and 4* you are trying to queue.
  • Mechahamster
    My primary concern is scaling. If the general consensus is it won't affect my scaling too much I'll keep them.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Huatimus wrote:
    I remember them saying they were going to implement it... and I thought that they did back when they were messing with PVE formats and scoring. But maybe that was a "down the road" feature. I definitely remember the developers talking about it, though.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:
    I remember them saying they were going to implement it... and I thought that they did back when they were messing with PVE formats and scoring. But maybe that was a "down the road" feature. I definitely remember the developers talking about it, though.
    Oh, they did.

Original test announcement and relevant info:
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=41413#p497411
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Mission Difficulty
    The first thing I want to talk about is how the difficulty of the missions are changing. Previously, the system presented you with opponents based on your characters’ levels. There was a couple of quirks with this system. In some circumstances, it could be disadvantageous to level characters, or to add a high-level character to your roster. Now, the game will take into account both your heroes’ power levels and heroes’ levels into account when establishing the difficulty of the mission.

Full implementation and most relevant info:
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47761#p544023
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]To achieve this goal we set out to accomplish 4 things: reduce the negative impact of having 5-Stars characters with a few covers, reduce playing the game around a schedule, reduce how long battles take, and improve high level players' ability to perform well in events. Out of the previous tests we have run, the last iteration of Meet Rocket & Groot had the most positive results in these four categories.

Long story short, scaling is harder for everyone. My hardest nodes cap over level 300 - hardest caps at 319. The highest boosted character I have for Venom Bomb is 3Cyc at level 280, and the highest character besides him is champed 4Thor at 277. It's hard, no doubt, but it's doable.

Do not sell your 5*s. Scaling considers the number of covers ("power levels" in dev language) they have, also. They are not hurting you like you think they are, especially when you have a few boosted 3*s to help.
  • Mechahamster
    Thanks, that's good info.