aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum Thread
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    2*, yes. Without question.

3* I'm not saying I never would, but there are so many more 3* and 4* than 2* that getting any given 3/4* to maxchamp status is going to be more of a slog than the 2* tier.

Maybe there are those who can rebuild a 3* with the same general rapidity that I can build a 2*. Hey, that's great. More power to them. I just hit day 800 today, and it's only in the last week'ish that I finally got my first (let alone second) 4* to 13 covers. It took me 26+ months to get 13 covers for them; now I need another 100 covers for either of them before farming them is even an option. Cover acquisition rates have increased, but that's still so far off in the future as to not be worth considering yet.

3* rates have sped up, when SCL is active, so if SCL ever becomes a consistent thing, instead of 2 on/2 off, then yeah - I could see farming 3* characters. But right now, there's too much stop-and-go with that for me to feel like 3* are farmable.

And that's ability, not desire.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me, when a 2* gets to 144 and I get an extra cover, I sell the 2* and replace it with the 1-cover version. I don't care about essentials since 2 5*s can beat any 2* essential node. Then when it's max covered again, I'll level it up and champ it.

That way I don't need any extra slots.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Are 3*s farmable? As in, do they have a sharp increase in sale price once they're maxchamped, the way 2*s do? If a 3* sells for 160k at level 266 then I might consider it.

Probably not, though. Unlike 2*s, 3*s at high champ levels make a huge difference in PvP. 2*s for a player who has them on farm status are largely irrelevant to competitive play, but 3*s actually matter. You could start farming dupes, but that's just a massive investment in roster slots.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Considering I only have 2 3* over 230 right now, I don't think 3* can effectively be 'farmed'. Or rather, they can, but the return on investment is so delayed that it's ultimately not worth it. Also, due to them being still needed in PvP (though perhaps this is irrelevant if you're in 5* land), it can sometimes hurt to not have a maxed one on hand. Making a dupe and slowly leveling that is probably worthwhile, but again, too slow to see much return at all.

2* is hands down worth it, but the initial investment cost is so high that if you don't already have them rostered, max covered, and somewhat leveled in the first place, it's not worth it to go back to max the rest until you're at a comfortable place in your roster with all your favorites champed already. This is about where I am, I was already farming 4 2* and I went back and champed 5 more to cycle, but now I'm taking advantage of the anniversary ISO to level some other fun 4* instead - like Devil Dino, who's no slouch in his pvp when champed!
  • Legasher
    Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Absolutely. I have all the 2* except Bagman in the works. What I've been doing recently though is stopping adding levels when one gets to 140, and starting the new one then. That way, say Ares' dup gets to 5/5/1, I have a little room to put extra redflag.pnggreenflag.png in the original until I pull those last two yellowflag.png. Once he's at 13 covers, I can finish off the original pretty quickly and sell it for the iso to get the dup started up right off.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Legasher wrote:
    Absolutely. I have all the 2* except Bagman in the works. What I've been doing recently though is stopping adding levels when one gets to 140, and starting the new one then. That way, say Ares' dup gets to 5/5/1, I have a little room to put extra redflag.pnggreenflag.png in the original until I pull those last two yellowflag.png. Once he's at 13 covers, I can finish off the original pretty quickly and sell it for the iso to get the dup started up right off.

I do this only with Magneto and Storm so I can always keep 2 fully covered ones around, but my stopping point is 139 because that's when you get CP. The rest of them I rotate within 1 slot and level slowly because I haven't gotten around to buying dupe slots for every single one yet.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    If your roster allows it Farming is a good way to continue using all those 2*s we get.

Hawkeye is paying those Iso bills y'all!!
  • Haven't got the slots, haven't got the time, haven't got the patience, haven't got the desire when my hugely underlevelled 4*'s are crying out for ISO.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who wrote this poll Fox News?

The fact that there are 11 variations of No with only 3 for yes plus the fact that you can vote multiple make this useless as a poll. I voted all of the above because that's an option for some reason.
    So many threads about whether champing is worth it, whether farming is worth it. So, here's a poll to judge the amount of farming (or not) going on, and if not, why not?
    If this is your goal, this will not answer that question, at least not easily. Should have one of no, one for yes, and possibly something like I plan to in the future, or I used to but stopped. The shear amount of no answers with no real difference in them other than jokes will always make this poll appear like it favors farming (and that's assuming people don't vote for multiple)
    Pick as many options as apply .... but please don't vote for both the "Not farming" options and the "Yes farming" options icon_lol.gif
    What does the many as apply help in this poll? Either you are or you are not, there should only be one that apply. Then you could ensure that people aren't voting both.
  • timbopp
    timbopp Posts: 88
    Legasher wrote:

Good idea, I may have to consider doing this too. It feels like I always have one 2* stuck in limbo because of a ridiculously disproportionate cover pull percentage. I only just re-champed my Moonstone who was stuck at 5/2/5 with 12 black/purple covers in my reward cache, 4 of which expired by the time I got my third red. I even resorted to begging Customer Service to colour swap one of my many black/purples, to no avail. Before that I had a 4/5/3 2* Cap with 11 red covers in my cache.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    At some point, I'll have a massive amount of 3*s to farm, so I'll need to start saving more HP, instead of using it on daily token specials. But I won't be in a huge rush.. I'll slowly build up my second set of 3*s, and then once I've championed one 3*, I'll sell its max-champed counterpart, which will free up more space. So it will be tough for the first few re-champed 3*s, but then not so bad after that.

This will probably not happen for around another year or so. My highest current 3* is The Hulk, at Lvl 214, and my lowest is Daredevil at Lvl 189.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Farming? YES, absolutely. No covers will go to waste like that and you have always essentials. You also get the champion rewards which accelerate your iso-8, HP, CP and covers.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Akari wrote:
    Considering I only have 2 3* over 230 right now, I don't think 3* can effectively be 'farmed'. Or rather, they can, but the return on investment is so delayed that it's ultimately not worth it. Also, due to them being still needed in PvP (though perhaps this is irrelevant if you're in 5* land), it can sometimes hurt to not have a maxed one on hand. Making a dupe and slowly leveling that is probably worthwhile, but again, too slow to see much return at all.
    3* farming is more of an "end game" strategy, IMO. It's not done like 2* for a quick turnover, because, like you said, you are tying up a lot of ISO long term.

3* "farming" is more about getting the champ rewards a second time, and ONLY once you have taken that 3* to 266. And I would not recommend it until you have champed all 3* and 4* at least. And, you don't sell the 266 3*... you keep using him. You have to get past the point where you can put the ISO to better use... and that's hard to do and I'm not sure it can be done without significant real money invested into the game.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmmm. Well it looks like 2* farming is far more widespread than i thought, resulting in a poll with all the pizazz of sugar-free vanilla pudding!

May reboot this as being specifically about farming 3*s and up tomorrow.

Hey! You leave the vanilla pudding alone!

I'm cycling 2*. I'm probably a couple years away from cycling a 3*. If it happens I'll create an extra slot and champ the dupe before selling. They're too valuable in essentials to let them go without a solid replacement.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is how I farm my characters.. get to work Hawkeye!!

hawkfarm.png
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone farm 3*s? I can't imagine you would get the covers quickly enough that it would be a reasonable proposition. I mean, it's been, what, 9 months since Champing went into effect, and my highest level 3*s is 218 - just a hair over halfway. Maybe the people who are buying 40 packs left and right can, I dunno, but I doubt anyone really has anything like a good 3* farm going...

I imagine I'll get extra slots when they max out, but I'll have to seriously think about it. For the 3*s, having them at that high level actually does make a difference, if a small one.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I am a fool, I am farming nonetheless. I do like Orion there: After I get that 145th level for someone, they get sold and the new cover goes onto rebuilding the same character. It takes a little planning at times because I hoard my tokens, so I tend to get a buttload of 2* covers at once which frequently leads to a little cover management. But I kinda enjoy it.

I've been thinking about the 3* farm for a while now as several of my 3* characters are starting to get close to that 266 level. I'm thinking I'll probably sell them off. They're already irrelevant to my roster and I'm quite sure by the time I have to worry about it again it'll be the apocalypse.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Does anyone farm 3*s? I can't imagine you would get the covers quickly enough that it would be a reasonable proposition. I mean, it's been, what, 9 months since Champing went into effect, and my highest level 3*s is 218 - just a hair over halfway. Maybe the people who are buying 40 packs left and right can, I dunno, but I doubt anyone really has anything like a good 3* farm going...
    I don't think anyone "Farms" 3*s. As you said, the turnover takes too long.

If 2* are a plot of land that you can "Farm" and get crop after crop, year after year... 3* are more like a bond fund with good interest... you can put ISO into and get a solid payoff over the years if you have some extra laying around.

I wouldn't recommend putting the ISO into a duplicate 3* until you've champed all your 3's, 4's, and 5's. That's what I did. I have champed 4 or 5 duplicate 3*'s of characters I had already leveled to 266, and I am starting with the ones whose covers are rewarded from the 2* champs... so I think I've done LThor, Hulk, IM40, Patch or something like that.

But prior to champing everybody, the ISO is better spent elsewhere, IMO.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    13385733_579047658942591_19031818_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI2NjQxNzY4OTQzNTI1ODkwOQ%3D%3D.2.c
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I am farming, sort of between the two "Yes" options. I'm just entering into the 4* transition (just recently got 13th covers for both JG and Hulkbuster, with a few more with max levels above or around level 200). Currently, I have a small, independent farm of 4 2* characters, with slots for 2 to build at the bottom so they're ready when the top maxes out. I've sold a maxed Hawkeye twice, and am approaching a second max sell of Wolverine and Human Torch. As soon as I get the HP, I'm building the farm up to a real factory farm housing all 14 of the 2*s. The impending realignment of 3* champion rewards makes this a real no-brainer investment for the long-term player.