Boss Rush Info

Ducky
Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Can we get some confirmation as to how Boss Rush will play.

8 hour refreshes?
Side nodes?
Alliance locked?
Same scaling model as other Boss events?

Trying to prepare the alliance for this and some extra information would be useful so I can set the alliance up to succeed the best it can.

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    There's a SS in the anniversary article, more of the same boss event only wave style
    cuRlElO.jpg?1
    http://marvel.com/news/comics/26807/cel ... zzle_quest
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Based on the small details we did receive from the devs, it is likely the same as other Boss Events, with the only difference being there will be additional event-end rewards within the alliance so those players that do most the work get compensated with something. Maybe a 10pk?
  • not really fond of in alliance placement awards. encourages really selfish behavior (like delaying your clears to get higher round points) in what should be a cooperative event. also discourages lesser rosters in the alliance that cant compete as well in the later rounds. well see what the prizes are, but im not liking the idea on its face.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    A more active player gets more rewarded with the parallel progression prizes; add more prizes to personal progression if needed, but i cant see any reasoning to in-alliance-contested rewards
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    My only real concern is that these alliance-events tend to have considerably less iso available. That'd be fairly annoying during double iso week.

If they keep the 500 per node (so 1000 this week) that the last run of WhateverItWasThatI'mTooLazyToLookUpButThinkItWasCivilWar had, then we'll be in good shape.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rounds 7 and 8 are going to be very boring/grindy. Who wants to slog through 180k of boss fights 5 or 6 times every 8 hours?

The wave sub nodes are always the the worst in boss fights. Not because they are the hardest, but because they take forever. Now every boss fight is a wave node with even more health!

I enjoy playing this game. But I don't want to play it to exclusion of evrything else.

There are lots of ways to avoid this problem, but we haven't heard any specific details yet.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    thanos8587 wrote:
    not really fond of in alliance placement awards. encourages really selfish behavior (like delaying your clears to get higher round points) in what should be a cooperative event. also discourages lesser rosters in the alliance that cant compete as well in the later rounds. well see what the prizes are, but im not liking the idea on its face.

While I can see that point, it can also have the benefit of encouraging alliance members to keep trying for a round that they might otherwise give up on. In my alliance typically by around round 5 there are only like 3 of us putting any effort in and that starts to dwindle. Hopefully the extra carrot helps, though with it only being for highest it's doubtful. Would be nice if there were awards for top 5.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Wolarsen wrote:
    A more active player gets more rewarded with the parallel progression prizes; add more prizes to personal progression if needed, but i cant see any reasoning to in-alliance-contested rewards
    Agree, but here's the issue. IF it works like the other boss waves, starting first puts you at a big disadvantage, because low-round clears are worth less.

So if 5 alliance members go in and clear round 1, while 5 more wait until it's round 2... the guys who jumped in first will never be able to catch up if they all play equally... despite the fact that they were the ones who moved the alliance to round 2.

Selfish people will essentially try to "bracket snipe" within their own alliance, to start in as late a round as possible while still having as much time as possible. That kind of sucks.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    Wolarsen wrote:
    Agree, but here's the issue. IF it works like the other boss waves, starting first puts you at a big disadvantage, because low-round clears are worth less.

So if 5 alliance members go in and clear round 1, while 5 more wait until it's round 2... the guys who jumped in first will never be able to catch up if they all play equally... despite the fact that they were the ones who moved the alliance to round 2.

Selfish people will essentially try to "bracket snipe" within their own alliance, to start in as late a round as possible while still having as much time as possible. That kind of sucks.

For demi/d3 the allure is the same as always: competitive rewards can be very rewarding without actually hurting the bottom line because onoy a tiny number of people can actually get them.

5* prog rewards go to everyone, but 5* rewards for being 1st in your alliance go to just 5% of players. Players, however, tend to treat them as equal. That's why everyone flipped out to lose top 101-200 3* covers despite everyone getting that same cover back as a second 3* Prog reward.

Demi also probably sees a lot of players stop playing on sat. Mornings once they finish round 8. So alliance competition may keep people grinding.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:

The culmination of that would be 20 players playing chicken during the first refresh and risking their chances of finishing the refresh (and potentially the event, given how critical clearing early can be)

I dunno, that might be fairly entertaining.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:

The culmination of that would be 20 players playing chicken during the first refresh and risking their chances of finishing the refresh (and potentially the event, given how critical clearing early can be)

I dunno, that might be fairly entertaining.
    I kinda imagine this a bit like a track cycle sprint race...
  • fmftint
    fmftint wrote:
    There's a SS in the anniversary article, more of the same boss event only wave style
    cuRlElO.jpg?1
    http://marvel.com/news/comics/26807/cel ... zzle_quest
    Identifiable bosses
    Hulk, Ultron, Galactus, Phoenix, Silver Surfer, Old Man Logan, Green Goblin,
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    AVpMdvI.png
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:

Working as intended.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I say this knowing I'm kinda wasting my time but...

Please, please, please don't do the same nonsense scaling as Civil War's boss fights. Please link scaling to the level you're on, not by how much time has passed. It's ridiculous that you could join in on the last day and fight an easy boss on wave 1 with level 300+ nodes.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    17 hours to launch and no info yet. Yep.
  • fmftint
    17 hours to launch and no info yet. Yep.
    My best guess for no info/event preview is the rewards must be ridiculously awful
    Like Captain Marvel for Ultron or a single LT from the last Civil War bad
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I say this knowing I'm kinda wasting my time but...

Please, please, please don't do the same nonsense scaling as Civil War's boss fights. Please link scaling to the level you're on, not by how much time has passed. It's ridiculous that you could join in on the last day and fight an easy boss on wave 1 with level 300+ nodes.
    The request should simply be, "Please don't include high-normal/hard/late-Gauntlet difficulty. Keep it to mid normal so we can concentrate on what we're actually supposed to be doing: losing to the boss."