Oath of the Gatewatch Event

Options
GrizzoMtGPQ
GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Can we do this event one more time? In hindsight I think it was one of the best events. Would be a blast to do it again.

Anyone else agree?

Comments

• rob443
    rob443 Posts: 97
    Options
    Agree. At the time of the event i was not able to beat the higher stages. Would love to try again now.
  • Alexx40in
    Alexx40in Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I agree. I would love to play again in this event
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably not as event, but please put it up in story mode.

Why waste content?
  • Mutang99
    Options
    It was a good event. Would be good to have soon more story mode to play between events.
  • Tilikum
    Tilikum Posts: 159
    Options
    I know I'd like to see it come back. If I had my way, it (or a rendition of it) would be a weekly event.
    I think there are a lot of people that love this game but don't want to worry about a leaderboard or ranks.
    Ever since coalitions became a thing, the game is pretty much one big competition.
    With each expansion it is lacking more and more content. SOI doesn't even have a story mode...
    What the tiny effing kitty is that about?

I think it would be great if you had a choice and could pick either a PVP or PVE event each week (or twice a week) but they shared the same coalition leader board.
    (It would be real nice if they told you what mythic was up for grabs in the PVP one before hand so you could just skip that event if you have it already and farm the PVE one and it still gave you ribbons and helped your coalition. That way coalitions could still keep a death grip on the leader boards but other individuals would place high in PVP.)

I think if they are going to have PVP and PVE, they need to have an equal amount of content on either side. Whenever I finished story mode and played Quick Battle for the first time and saw my rank I was like "WTH? Am I in a race right now?"
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tilikum wrote:
    Ever since coalitions became a thing, the game is pretty much one big competition.

Play until you hate the game and then keep playing, or we will kick you and eliminate your only reliable way to get good cards without grinding 3+hrs of QB per day.

Yeah I'm gonna stick to casual play for now, people who are driving the competition amaze me. I work full time and I could probably only participate in a top 10 coalition if I got home every day from work and played till I fell asleep. Just not a realistic way to play the game at all, but it's to be expected when the devs gate all content behind this top10 idiocy.
    Tilikum wrote:
    It would be real nice if they told you what mythic was up for grabs in the PVP one before hand so you could just skip that event

There are two reasons not to implement this, one is sinister and one's the result of laziness.
  • Tilikum
    Options
    For real. The few times that I've placed top five in an event I had to take a half-day at work Thursday and Friday and then make it up on Saturday. (self employed pool boy.)

I don't think they should get rid of it because obviously a lot of people like it, I just think there should be an alternative. Even if you got a "mythic shard" after the PVE event, and had to turn in five of them for a chance at a new mythic.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    Remember when there were a lot less ways to get cards and there were less complaints?

Like you literally were stuck with the first 2 big boxes you got from story mode unless you paid money.

Good times...
  • Tilikum
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    Remember when there were a lot less ways to get cards and there were less complaints?

Like you literally were stuck with the first 2 big boxes you got from story mode unless you paid money.

Good times...

I actually first started playing this in March and quit soon after because of that very reason. (that and it ran like balls)
    I started back up again in June because my friends that played this said the Oath of the Gatewatch Event is a great way to get your collection up, and it's a lot of fun.

One man's complaint is another man's constructive criticism.
  • jackvett
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:

Good times...

Are you....what could you possibly.....what?

Do you own part of the licensing and profit hugely off of idiotic customers like the one you just described, who enjoy being treated like (cash) cows?

Why would you ever come to a thread asking for greater diversity in events (not a complaint, but a request) and claim that you would prefer everyone have to use the same awful commons and uncommons from the intro set?
  • Ohboy
    Options
    jackvett wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

Good times...

Are you....what could you possibly.....what?

Do you own part of the licensing and profit hugely off of idiotic customers like the one you just described, who enjoy being treated like (cash) cows?

Why would you ever come to a thread asking for greater diversity in events (not a complaint, but a request) and claim that you would prefer everyone have to use the same awful commons and uncommons from the intro set?

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying that giving people more ways to earn cards have generated more complaints that there aren't enough ways to earn cards. I mean...we've gone from zero new packs a week to multiple chances of opening packs every few days. And you're complaining more! Every other post in this forum is a thinly disguised one about how they should give us all more free cards.

I for example came here to support the idea. You on the other hand hijack the thread to talk about how hard it is to get cards. I'm amused you actually remember what this thread's originally about and claim I'm the one derailing it.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    I'm saying that giving people more ways to earn cards have generated more complaints that there aren't enough ways to earn cards.

I think the issue is that now that there are more ways to get crystals and free packs, it is keeping the drop rates watered down. There is no way they will increase drop rates when they are giving the most active players an abundance of freebies.

That means the players who cannot dedicate all of their time to the game are forced to buy big boxes with cash in order to fill their library and are running into a brick wall with the unreliable drop rates. Couple this with the suspiciously high dupe rates and the fact that packs and crystals have not dropped in price, you are getting a lot less value for your money than is being marketed.

I agree that mythics and rares should be tough to acquire, but now that a small segment of the player base (top coalitions, event and QB grinders) are getting an overabundance of crystals, packs, and mythics it is causing a lot of inflation in the economy. This is lowering the value of anything purchased for cash.

Right now, best bang for your buck is to use the cash shop when you are just starting out. When you start proc'ing dupe mythics and rares, stop.

Ohboy wrote:
    Every other post in this forum is a thinly disguised one about how they should give us all more free cards.

Uh, that doesn't sound right. People are complaining about the dupe rates. You know, when they spend $100.00 USD, open multiple big boxes, and proc 4 copies of the same Mythic.

I bought a dragon's hoard (over a month ago I believe), which was 2 big boxes, and 2 fat packs. My net gain from that was 2 rares that I didn't already have. And both of those rares came from a single fat pack. That means 2 big boxes and 1 fat pack yielded me nothing but dupes. And there were still a lot of mythics and rares that I did not have, hence the reason for purchasing the bundle. Not doing that again.
  • Centur3xo
    Options
    I'd +1 this - late starters missed so many interesting events, at least can we have them as part of the story campaign? SOI story is still has only 4 training missions. Would be great to have a bigger story with some challenges, like in Battle for Zendikar chapter.
  • jackvett
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying that giving people more ways to earn cards have generated more complaints that there aren't enough ways to earn cards. I mean...we've gone from zero new packs a week to multiple chances of opening packs every few days. And you're complaining more! Every other post in this forum is a thinly disguised one about how they should give us all more free cards.

I for example came here to support the idea. You on the other hand hijack the thread to talk about how hard it is to get cards. I'm amused you actually remember what this thread's originally about and claim I'm the one derailing it.

Sorry about your reading comprehension but it's not my place to help you with that.

I didn't bring up any additional outside points about cards (other than painting you a picture of the world you're so nostalgic for, where everyone uses bad cards); I'm merely attacking your point. You claim that "too much of a good thing" has somehow harmed this game? If it's only manifested itself on the forums, then to paraphrase Tyler the Creator, just walk away from the screen man...

You make these claims about hijacking and derailing and then insinuate that I am stupid....my friend, you can't read.
  • Tilikum
    Options
    BUMP
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    It's got to be the perfect time for something like this again. I know your servers would appreciate it just as much as we would.
  • LeafHyren
    LeafHyren Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    It would be nice to have the bosses from events playable in story mode as well!
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    LeafHyren wrote:

That would be cool. Instead of skipping story mode, make new Story mode content available as PVE events first for the couple weeks then let us grind it in story mode for the extra manacrystal.png and manarune.png
  • BayTamago
    BayTamago Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    LeafHyren wrote:

That would be cool. Instead of skipping story mode, make new Story mode content available as PVE events first for the couple weeks then let us grind it in story mode for the extra manacrystal.png and manarune.png

This would actually be really cool. I'd love to be able to have more PvE events since I find I'm too busy with PvP / QB to do story most of the time. +1
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everything looks good in comparision to Emrakul's Corruption.

In an ideal world, for me, we'd just play NoP all the time, against decks that had actually been selected for the Event, with the matchmaking algorithm fixed.

What can I say? I'm a dreamer.