3* Farming?

cooperbigdaddy
cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
This is so far in the distance for me, but I was curious:

Do people farm 3*s with champions too? Or do you just sell the extra covers once you've maxed a 3*? Or does it depend on who it is?

I mean I would hate to think someone would max Iron Fist and then sell him to start over with just a couple covers of him.

Comments

• Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    I suppose those who can earn the covers fast enough to get to that point, also are getting other resources, like enough HP to roster a fully covered copy of the character after the champion is maxed but before selling it.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    My plan is to roster an extra slot to house a second version of the 3*. Many of them are far too valuable to dismiss. They actually play a role in PvP and essentials. Once I get to that point, I won't sell a maxed 3* until I have a fully covered dupe.

I'm not even close to engaging this plan. My 2* farm is rolling, but I don't generate enough covers to worry about 3* cycling for the next year, at least.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Probably? But I've been champing like a savage since champions were introduced and my closest to max is Kamala at 222 - most are still in the 180-190 range. I guess I might start them over when they start getting maxed but that's probably another 8 months out at a minimum.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I've seen rosters of guys that are doing it. I don't think I would as long as PvP events feature 3* characters. A 266 boosted is too powerful to drop.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Unlike the 2* the 3* sell price is not lucrative whatsoever.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll probably roster a dupe to reap the champion rewards again.

My guys are cresting 230 now, so a few months to go.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    And the cost to re-level to 166 is quite a lotta ISO.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:
    Unlike the 2* the 3* sell price is not lucrative whatsoever.

Costs 119919 to level. 7500 to champ. Returns 57500 from Champ Rewards, sells for 105000. That's a net gain of 35,081 iso. That's quite lucrative.

Like the 2* farms, it does not return as much Iso as simply selling (in this case 56.5k). However, that 21419 iso 'loss' buys you significantly more than the 2* version - 3 4* covers, 5 legendaries, 2 heroics, 1000HP, 50CP.

The only problem with 3* farming is simply that it takes entirely too long to reap the full benefit.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I just got my first two 3*s to champion max yesterday. My plan is to hang onto them and roster dupes, and build up those dupes. Gonna be a while before I even fully cover a dupe, though, so it's a very long-term consideration.

As far as how lucrative selling one is, there's also the sunk cost of the 113 covers to consider. That's 56.5k additional. Probably still worth it, but that much closer.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Well, don't forget the 113 covers consumed. You can either sell them for 50,000 iso, or plow them into the rostering, building, maxing of a new champ. So call it -14,919iso.

I won't call it that, because it's not correct.

Situation:

You get to start a new (sandbox) account. You're given 226 covers of one three star. You start with an iso bank of 127,419, exactly enough to start the first farm. With your statement, you imply that you can't start the second farm. That's false.

Option 1:
    You apply the 13 covers, use the iso to champ. You're now at 0 in the bank.
    You apply the next 100 covers, and sell. You're at 162,500.
    You apply the next 13 covers, use the iso to champ, you're at 35,081. (your profit per farm)
    You apply the last 100 covers and sell, You're at 197,581.

Option 2:
    You sell 226 covers. You're at 240,419.

In both options, you have more iso than you started, so both are profitable. Selling is more profitable, but the trade off (21419 per farm, as I said) is the rest of the rewards.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've seen rosters of guys that are doing it. I don't think I would as long as PvP events feature 3* characters. A 266 boosted is too powerful to drop.

This. I guess you may then start a dupe to farm, then? I mean, you'd only be "losing" an extra 1000 HP, instead of a really powerful character that took you the best part of a yer to get there.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I extended the 2* champion math to cover 3-5* on another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45247&start=60#p559300

It was before the introduction of XP, so don't forget to take that into consideration too
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Well, don't forget the 113 covers consumed. You can either sell them for 50,000 iso, or plow them into the rostering, building, maxing of a new champ. So call it -14,919iso.

I won't call it that, because it's not correct.

Situation:

You get to start a new (sandbox) account. You're given 226 covers of one three star. You start with an iso bank of 127,419, exactly enough to start the first farm. With your statement, you imply that you can't start the second farm. That's false.

Option 1:
    You apply the 13 covers, use the iso to champ. You're now at 0 in the bank.
    You apply the next 100 covers, and sell. You're at 162,500.
    You apply the next 13 covers, use the iso to champ, you're at 35,081. (your profit per farm)
    You apply the last 100 covers and sell, You're at 197,581.

Option 2:
    You sell 226 covers. You're at 240,419.

In both options, you have more iso than you started, so both are profitable. Selling is more profitable, but the trade off (21419 per farm, as I said) is the rest of the rewards.

Are you counting the ISO and non-ISO rewards in the ISO from championing and selling? The 4* covers would be 6K alone (or whatever reward they get from championing), plus legendary tokens etc.
  • GrumpySmurf1002

Are you counting the ISO and non-ISO rewards in the ISO from championing and selling? The 4* covers would be 6K alone (or whatever reward they get from championing), plus legendary tokens etc.

No. It's easier to not confuse things with the additional calculations. But it does make it even more profitable of course. Selling still has a slight edge I think, but I'm more concerned with squashing this idea that it's an actual loss, and not just an opportunity loss.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    However, I was recently introduced to a few concepts in Accounting. I am still trying to understand them a bit better, but now I kinda
    understand what people mean by opportunity cost and there is a difference between economic profit and accounting profit. Accounting profit usually excludes opportunity costs in the calculations. Am I right?
    No.
    Accounting profit is what you end up with after using all of your dark Voodoo tricks to get as little profit as possible officially, while still making as gigantic a real profit as possible.

Opportunity cost is what should be included in business cases, but never is - also dark Voodoo, in business cases you usually start with the result you want to arrive at and work your way backwards.

Still a lot you have to learn about actual accounting icon_e_wink.gif
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I find it touching that anyone would think that accounting has a 'correct' answer. Speaking as someone with more than a passing familiarity with the field I think dark voodoo is an excellent description.
    Opportunity cost is a way of thinking about what you might be giving up when you select one option rather than another (or, in fact, all the others). You can apply it anywhere you want, it has no special connection to accounting.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    I started "farming" 3* once I had champed all 3*, 4*, and 5*... I would not recommend it before then.

I turn my 2* over pretty quickly, so I am rostering dupes of the characters they reward, since I have them all at 266 already.

It's not the best policy ISO-wise, but since I am finally caught up with all the releases, I just have to make enough ISO in between releases to champ the next one. The rest I'm putting toward 3* farming.