Doom and 3rd powers

Options
Copps
Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So playing this simulator round has had me level my doom to 60 from 30 and I'm really enjoying what he adds to a team. Really wishing he had a third power (hopefully purple not passive) I know d3 has stated third powers are far on the back burner but doesn't it seem to anyone else like this would be a more efficient use of resources than creating new characters every 3-4 weeks? New powers on characters people already have levelled would likely generate a lot of hp spent once people get the first cover.

Comments

• Super agree. We should see 3rd covers across the board. I want a level 50 Juggernaut and a Venom who can have a maxed level 4 purple build! (In addition to a more robust Doom.)
  • Yeah, a 141 Doom would see a lot more action in open-ended tournaments.
  • I sort of agree. I would love Doom to have a third power. And Loki. Most of the other 2 power guys aren't really interesting enough for me to worry about. But while I still feel like there is a lot of room for me to explore some of the guys we already have and experiment with different teams, I also know that there is a cadre of people out there who really want new characters. So I guess that, for the moment at least, only one group can get served.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Moon 17 wrote:
    Super agree. We should see 3rd covers across the board. I want a level 50 Juggernaut and a Venom who can have a maxed level 4 purple build! (In addition to a more robust Doom.)

That won't happen, but possibly for the 2 and 3 stars
  • I agree with everything you said, but I am not sure they feel comfortable doing this. This would require a lot of testing and if it takes 3 months to test the changes to the characters they said are next to change, it would take them months if not years to finish with all those who miss an ability. The majority of these characters is mostly 1* and 2* who are easy to find from tokens and although it makes the game feel unfinished, which actually is, I don't expect this to be fixed any time soon. Now I want you to imagine yourself facing a 3 ability Juggernaut in pve with 2 more 230 enemies.
  • I don't think the 2 power characters are "unfinished" at all. Max Doom is beast, he's the headliner if you don't have Wolvie with you. Venom is a pita for the 1 stars, Juggs takes out huge chunks of a team at one time, if MBW had another power she would be overpowered as a 1 star. Classic Hawkeye's red needs to give AP (if it doesn't, I don't think it does,) that's the only change I would make, his pink is actually really powerful if you use it right, which the AI doesn't. The 2 power characters are working as intended, I think you guys just want the moon AND the stars.

Yelena and Bullseye are kind of a bust but we don't have to use them either since black and pink are covered.
  • I would like Doom getting a 3rd skill. However, I also shudder at the thought of Daken possibly getting a new skill. I find him a colossal PITA at lvl 69 already. If he got a useful new skill, which also means a 85-cap, he could start giving pre-nerf Wolvie a run for his money.
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    However, I also shudder at the thought of Daken possibly getting a new skill. I find him a colossal PITA at lvl 69 already. If he got a useful new skill, which also means a 85-cap, he could start giving pre-nerf Wolvie a run for his money.

How about a passive that creates yellow attack tiles every time a purple match is made icon_twisted.gif
  • I think they need to be blue, just so every single color is somehow involved in his skills
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They previously said that all characters will get a third skill eventually (It was their justification for the Ragnarok uber-nerf "he is SO weak now because he is incomplete yaddayadda"). But they don't really want to do it. Why? People already have the roster slots for them and two thirds of their covers. Hence they simply wouldn't make enough money from fixing those to do it. Maybe if they ever have to push a new character back a week because they eff'ed up something they might release a third cover for an existing hero as a filler. But that's just if we are really lucky. And in the case of Daken, I'm sure when a new power was added the old ones would be rebalanced, so be careful what you wish for.
  • Considering how each character has powers that are similar to the color of their attire, it seems silly that Doom and Loki don't have "green" powers.

Maybe a passive for both Doom and Loki, although Loki's black... uggh, I almost never use it and I swear they made Patch just to make it useful.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KaioShinDE wrote:
    They previously said that all characters will get a third skill eventually (It was their justification for the Ragnarok uber-nerf "he is SO weak now because he is incomplete yaddayadda"). But they don't really want to do it. Why? People already have the roster slots for them and two thirds of their covers. Hence they simply wouldn't make enough money from fixing those to do it. Maybe if they ever have to push a new character back a week because they eff'ed up something they might release a third cover for an existing hero as a filler. But that's just if we are really lucky. And in the case of Daken, I'm sure when a new power was added the old ones would be rebalanced, so be careful what you wish for.

Well two things, that was before respec, now that that is out it's not a big deal, as for Daken, it would be obvious if they gave him a 3rd skill, that his other skills, specifically Pheremone would have to get nerfed due to him being alive longer, but even if they halved the damage of his strike tiles and gave him a nuke like all the wolvies have, he would be fine. Doom would be the same way, just decrease the attack tile damage, Rags really does need a third skill as is he is fine in terms of power and hp asuming he gets a decent third skill. They could easily look at LazyThor and Wolverine (Astonishing) to figure out damage outputs and hitpoints for them and there you have it, more characters. In fact, as a whole I think the community would rather have older characters updated, than new ones pushed out. Especially with roster space getting expensive and limited.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Copps wrote:
    So playing this simulator round has had me level my doom to 60 from 30 and I'm really enjoying what he adds to a team. Really wishing he had a third power (hopefully purple not passive) I know d3 has stated third powers are far on the back burner but doesn't it seem to anyone else like this would be a more efficient use of resources than creating new characters every 3-4 weeks? New powers on characters people already have levelled would likely generate a lot of hp spent once people get the first cover.

Yep. Doom needs a 3rd power, for sure.

Also agree that purple would be the way to go. I'm agnostic on whether it should be passive or not.

I'm having so much fun with him on this round of the simulator.
  • Dreylin
    Dreylin Posts: 241
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Well two things, that was before respec, now that that is out it's not a big deal, as for Daken, it would be obvious if they gave him a 3rd skill, that his other skills, specifically Pheremone would have to get nerfed due to him being alive longer, but even if they halved the damage of his strike tiles and gave him a nuke like all the wolvies have, he would be fine.
    What if they gave him a third skill that as a side effect removed/converted all the yellow tiles - couple that with a bump to the "Heat" portion to equal "Healing" and you have a risk-reward skill that plays off the others.
  • PorkBelly wrote:
    I'm having so much fun with him on this round of the simulator.
    Yep! Doom is one of my highest-levelled characters simply because he's where my covers have happened to fall, and this has been me all day:

3011144-2953288-8822858831-dr_do.jpg
  • GiantKiller2p
    Options
    In my opinion, the devs need to spend more time making more of the existing characters viable, as opposed to releasing new Lazychamps.

3rd powers for doom, ragnarok, and loki should be a top priority, not a back-burner afterthought.

Also fixing the hawkeyes, yelena, etc. would be nice sometime soon.

-GK
  • I am one cover away from maxing my Doom and i must say i love using him today. And if i can be honest,i prefer him to punisher.

please don't hate me.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A high-level Doom is really something even if he has only 2 powers. If you manage to get him 9 blue, which is fairly easy, you can flood the board with black creating cascades if you're lucky. You should have enough black to summon demons and then it's 1k dmg every turn until they manage to get rid of them.

People underestimate him a lot as a character, that's too bad.
  • So much need for Daken. I still use him now but the lvl69 cap is annoying. Even if still at 2 skills, please stretch it out to lvl85! Why couldn't they just do that?
  • Doom is also a good deterrent for Patch teams and a beast in villain LRs... eventually i'd like to see 3 abilities for every character but Doom is least necessary at the moment, he's pretty damn effective even at 115 cap. I'd like to see Loki get a useful third first.