Clearance Levels, use them or lose them.

Arphaxad
Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
D3 introduces SHIELD clearance levels and tells us they are the answer to making story mode a fairer experience for all level of player. For the most part, the players agreed. If the players like it and D3 thinks it is a good thing, then why don't you use it?

Yes, I understand D3 wants to restrict the number of players who get a new cover when it is released. Then release that cover a different way. Turning on and off clearance levels is not a good idea. As a regular player who prefers story mode over versus, it is very frustrating to bounce between clearance levels and no clearance levels.

Bottom line, either use clearance levels or don't use them. Make a decision and stick to it. If D3 thinks clearance levels are a good thing, then use them. If D3 feels it rewards the players base too much, then change the rewards or get rid of clearance levels. But this on/off switch thing looks bad and does nothing but discourage your players.

Comments

• TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    You must be new.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I agree, it is super annoying. I get that for new chars and for the anniversary we have different rewards than normal, blablabla... but it is super annoying.

And I would like to know also If we are going to get some day SCL8+ and what are the rewards, now that we are talking about SCL
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apparently they don't want to use clearance levels on new character releases. Or the PvE where a brand new character is Essential for the first time. And probably not Boss events either.
    Removing PvP clearance levels is more of a dink move, but I suppose double ISO and clearance levels might open the flood gates too much.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    +1 agree with OP.

Rolling out a new feature that is pretty much universally liked (albeit with 30% of it inaccessible), then not letting us use it is kinda a cruel joke.

If it's a matter of the rewards being a new release, then just change it. I've seen rewards swapped out before (and been burned by that swap...)
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    From this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50955
    As you may have seen already, Deadpool Vs. MPQ will be the first Story mission to have S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels! We will be running events with S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels turned on for a few events, look at the results and make any adjustments. Thank you for your patience while we roll out this new feature!

and this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50744
    Which Events have Clearance Levels?
    Once the system is in full effect, all regular Story and Versus Events will have Clearance Levels. S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator and Seasons will have Clearance Levels as well. Deadpool's Daily Quest and Lightning Rounds do not have Clearance Levels.

To be fair, they have told us that they were turning on Clearance Levels for only a few events to start with in the first thread.

In the second thread, it seems the question would be what is considered a "regular" event.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    They are just being cheap, as per the norm.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Well.... Cheap-ish.
    They have given us a lot of extra stuff recently between SHIELD rank, Clearance Levels and now double ISO. They didn't need to give us any of that.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Why is it that new characters should be available to everyone to start with? Isn't new players in more advantageous position that way compared to vets who have played longer? That annoys me and I don't think it's fair for those who have played their bottoms off. Why not limit it for some specific clearance level like 4 and above?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fun, on 4* number 39 even. (37 if you choose not to include the duck or dinosaur)

And we all can pretty clearly tell one of 2 things will happen soon.

3 more 4 stars come then a flood of 5's

or the 4 star tier bloating past 40 with no DDQ substitute and no 3 star.png + packs.

one step forward 2 back.

And keep in mind this isn't negative just observant,
    Who knows maybe some huge boon to help transition to 4 will be introduced soon, and it wasn't just clearance levels.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    CLs should be permanent in all PvEs... forever, no exceptions.
    I dont understand why some PvEs have CLs, and some dont... its super annoying. For me its like missions without CLs are not worth my time. Without double ISO and anni tokens i would not bother doing events during anniversary and after it? I will ingore every PvE without CLs.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I understand they don't want to use CL on new character release... but why weren't there clearance levels on the BFF PVP? Could have really used that CP from 575...
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    JVReal wrote:
    Yeah, I understand they don't want to use CL on new character release... but why weren't there clearance levels on the BFF PVP? Could have really used that CP from 575...
    I dont think this is the problem - we never asked for new release to be given as progress reward. They can make CLs with whatever 4* they want.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    veny wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    I dont think this is the problem - we never asked for new release to be given as progress reward. They can make CLs with whatever 4* they want.

That's how I feel. I wouldn't really be put out at all if they choose a different 4* to give out as the reward the first time they run a new character release as long as a substitute 4* was available at SCL7+. Same for the PVE that immediately follows the new character release. I understand the reality that new character releases are where the whales will whale and that keeps the lights on and don't want to interfere with that dynamic but I really prefer the SCL's turned on all the time because of the added ISO and elite tokens which help with my transition.

Hopefully they are just tweaking the things they need to tweak behind the scenes and will soon roll out the clearance levels for all events. As well as adding the upper levels for vets.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Mr. Fantastic got skipped during Cages release and Thoress skipped during Gwenpool release.

Could easily just slot them in as prog rewards instead of the new 4*.
  • Saeva
    Saeva Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Quebbster wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Well.... Cheap-ish. They have given us a lot of extra stuff recently between SHIELD rank, Clearance Levels and now double ISO. They didn't need to give us any of that.
    Yes, they do need to give us that or, at minimum, something like that periodically. A lack of innovation, of introducing new features that attract new players and keep long-time players engaged, is an absolute game-killer for a business model like MPQ. When you create a game that has no definitive ending you have to keep evolving. Clearance Levels are the next evolution. Artificially stifling that evolution when there are other solutions -- like giving non-new 4* during a character release/new Featured Character event -- stunts the game's growth.

This is bad for business because whales can only do so much. The other portion of the player base might be much slower in producing revenue but they're also much larger. And even the whales will get bored without innovation beyond the introduction of new characters ultimately.

Edited: Words are hard.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Games like these work with the carrot and the stick principle. The carrot is where they occasionally give you rewards to keep you playing, the stick is where they put up roadblocks to get you to spend money.

Things you don't do in games like this:

1) take the carrot away once the player base has had a taste of it

2) make the stick hit too hard for no particular reason

They've done both the last few days. It has lost them a lot of goodwill from the playerbase.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Seems a lot of the issues with Boss Rush would have been mitigated with the use of Clearance Levels
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think everyone would be perfectly fine with not having the new release as a scl progression reward. But we would still like to have all the other great rewards that come with scl.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I viewed SCL levels as the solution to the "IMPOSSIBLE TO TRANSITION" problem (which I highlighted around this time last year - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34512)

It's not a perfect solution....but it's a solution. SO STICK TO IT! KEEP IT ON!

And WHY NOT FOR NEW CHARACTERS as well?!? You currently have almost the same chance to pull any given 4* from an LT as you do for any given 5*!!! The pool is way to diluted, giving out specific covers as more common rewards is a way to fix this!

SCL levels not only always on - but turn those last levels on already!