PVE Scoring

Splurch
Splurch Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So on the current Dark Reign PVE event I was first to max out points. This part of the event is ending in a few minutes and I am now 12th, about 750 away from 1st. I've got about 60 points I could gain from doing everything again but that's still a far cry from the 700 or so I would need past that to get back to first. Is there some trick to doing PVE? Are people just running a 1 pt event over and over? How are they making so many more points then me?

Comments

• Race through as many times points are worth full value, then do as many clears as you can as close to the end of the event as possible.

If you cleared them (to the green tick) before the others did, your points for the win would be slightly less as theirs was allowed to regenerate for that much longer.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Here's a link to a PvE guide that hopefully answers your questions:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37373

In short, it's not about first to max out points. It's about being first to get your timers going, and leaving your grind at the end of the sub to the latest time possible while still being able to get your clears in.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Going by the assumption "first to max out points" = start timer on all nodes and zero overgrinding. If that's the case then how much time left in sub when you started your final grind?

The later you start the final grind the more points you get. BUT..make sure you don't run out of time. That's way worse.
  • Splurch
    So of the answers, none of them really seem to make sense. A few minutes before the end of the event of the people in front of me, 8 or so were 450+ points ahead (with 1st being 750) and I only had 50ish points from nodes left that I didn't do (the other 3 were close enough to not really matter.) And yes, when I say first to max out points I mean done every node 4 times one node after another. I highly doubt so many people did hundreds of runs and many of the ones that ended up several hundred points ahead of me were only a clear or two of the high point nodes away when I hit 1st. Somehow the nodes those 8 people did generated significantly more points (especially for the guy who ended up first.) I'm just trying to figure out why.

I did clear a few nodes in the morning so I didn't have to grind 3 clears on everything right before the event ended, does clearing nodes earlier cause them to regenerate slower? If not then I'm at a complete loss how I was behind hundreds of points when I was the first to clear
  • maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    To max out your points, you want to hit however many nodes it takes to unlock the essentials. Play the essentials until you start the timers on them, then play the rest of the nodes one at a time. Once you have every node unlocked, start the timers on the highest value ones first, and go backwards, ending on the trivials. You can play the essentails after you've cleared the last node if you want, but the key is to get the timers started on those high value nodes asap. I'm assuming that's what the people in front of you did, and if you did that as well, maybe you started your final grind a little earlier than they did, thus not maximizing your potential points. That's the only reason I can think of for the disparity.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Splurch wrote:
    So of the answers, none of them really seem to make sense. A few minutes before the end of the event of the people in front of me, 8 or so were 450+ points ahead (with 1st being 750) and I only had 50ish points from nodes left that I didn't do (the other 3 were close enough to not really matter.) And yes, when I say first to max out points I mean done every node 4 times one node after another. I highly doubt so many people did hundreds of runs and many of the ones that ended up several hundred points ahead of me were only a clear or two of the high point nodes away when I hit 1st. Somehow the nodes those 8 people did generated significantly more points (especially for the guy who ended up first.) I'm just trying to figure out why.

I did clear a few nodes in the morning so I didn't have to grind 3 clears on everything right before the event ended, does clearing nodes earlier cause them to regenerate slower? If not then I'm at a complete loss how I was behind hundreds of points when I was the first to clear
    If you cleared a few nodes in the morning then you did not the maximum possible Points for those nodes. For optimum scoring, you need to wait as long as possible Before you start to grind the nodes - ideally you want to get the last node to 1 immediately Before the sub Closes.
    And yes, at the very top of the scoreboard Little things like this can make a lot of difference.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Splurch wrote:

Splurch, Here is the simple math for calculating the scores.
    Ex. The node with full score 360. After 4 clears, the score will become 240 and timer will begin. Each hour, the points will regenerate by 5 points (=360/(3*24)=5).
    If person A, do the 6 clears right away and wait 20 hrs and do the last clear. He will get 360*4+240+120+100
    If person B, do the 4 clears and wait for 20 hrs and do another 3 clears. He will get 360*4+340+220+100
    As you can see the points regenerated was added to the 5th and 6th clear. So, the point difference on this node will be 200 already.

Hope this simple example will help you understand what went wrong in your approach.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Splurch wrote:
    I did clear a few nodes in the morning so I didn't have to grind 3 clears on everything right before the event ended

This is where you strayed from optimal clearing. You Grind each node 4x to get timer started. Then wait as close to the end of the subevent to be able to clear each node 3x each to get the points down to one. The longer you wait for the nodes to recover before you clear for the fifth time, the more points the node is worth.

You also should be clearing them in a certain order to get the most points from the nodes: 4* essential node x 4, 3* essential node x4, 2* essential node x4. Node 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (1x each to unlock the next sequentially higher point node) then working backwards: node 6 3x, node 5 3x, node 4 3x, node 3 3x, node 2 3x, and finally node 1 3x. That is what the beginning of your sub event should look like.

The end of your sub will be to clear all nodes in this order: 4*, 3*, 2*, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 then back to 4*, 3*, 2*, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (you should be getting XP as you are completing missions at this point) then for the last time, go back to 4*, 3*, 2*, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

The loaner node is easier. Hit it once at the beginning of the sub. Then wait as close to the end as possible and clear it straight for another 6x.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The end of your sub will be to clear all nodes in this order: 4*, 3*, 2*, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 then back to 4*, 3*, 2*, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (you should be getting XP as you are completing missions at this point) then for the last time, go back to 4*, 3*, 2*, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    Nope.
    Hit all nodes 3x, starting with the easiest one, essentials last.
    The point is to let the highest nodes regain as many points as possible.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was under the impression that the end of sub grind should be done from lowest value to highest value to give the higher value nodes more time to regenerate Points. Is that outdated information?
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    My bad, bowgentle and quebbster are right about end of sub. Lowest to highest to let highest point nodes regenerate longer.
  • Splurch
    robertbah wrote:
    Splurch wrote:

Splurch, Here is the simple math for calculating the scores.
    Ex. The node with full score 360. After 4 clears, the score will become 240 and timer will begin. Each hour, the points will regenerate by 5 points (=360/(3*24)=5).
    If person A, do the 6 clears right away and wait 20 hrs and do the last clear. He will get 360*4+240+120+100
    If person B, do the 4 clears and wait for 20 hrs and do another 3 clears. He will get 360*4+340+220+100
    As you can see the points regenerated was added to the 5th and 6th clear. So, the point difference on this node will be 200 already.

Hope this simple example will help you understand what went wrong in your approach.

Ah, makes sense. Also, didn't realize clearing a node reduces it by a set amount of 1/3rd of the max points available for the node, I had thought it was somewhat based on the points currently available for the node. Clears that up for me as well, thank you for the explanation icon_e_smile.gif

Guess I need to change the way I clear nodes if I want to place high icon_e_wink.gif