Worth a second Prof X?

chamber44
chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
my prof x is sitting at 5/1/3, but the RNG is a fickle ****, i'm sitting on two additional Blue covers. Is it really worth starting a dupe? My SW and GSBW are champed, but i haven't really started running Charlie's Angels in events since I don't play much PvE.

Comments

• ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    IMO no, duplicates are never really useful for anything. Once you champ the first one, are you going to waste covers on the dupe just to keep him under-leveled? Doubt it.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I keep a second around but I also did so at a time before championing was a thing.

It is helpful in the rare event I want to run winfinite, but if I didn't already have it, I'm not sure I'd build it now, the 13 covers would be more valuable for my champed version.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm kinda biased, since I am a fan of dupes. I have 4 PX right now. 200 5/3/5, 160 5/3/5, 70 5/4/4 and 70 3/2/0. I will probably take the 200 to champ, eventually, or possibly the 70 5/4/4 once the quad gets 2 more blues. I like saving healthpacks.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Px is one of the few 4* worth a dup because the second build you want to run him at is 5/5/0. The only reasons to have a non-champed Px are

1) You are lukewin and have 4 of every character in the game icon_e_biggrin.gif, or
    2) You can't because of resources (ISO, covers, etc.), or
    3) you want to run winfinite

Yellow is a liability in winfinite as it clogs available placement of green tiles so 5/5/0 is really the best build for it. Since championing doesn't let you go below 3 in a skill the only other option is a dup with no yellow.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a 5/3/5 at 145 that is in line to champ and a 5/5/0 at 94 that is good for winfinite even when he's boosted and nether angel is. truthfully I've rarely used him but do sometimes. this current heroic as an example. I can hide him a little easier behind switch or daken (or drax/quake)
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Px is one of the few 4* worth a dup because the second build you want to run him at is 5/5/0. The only reasons to have a non-champed Px are

1) You are lukewin and have 4 of every character in the game icon_e_biggrin.gif, or

Yellow is a liability in winfinite as it clogs available placement of green tiles so 5/5/0 is really the best build for it. Since championing doesn't let you go below 3 in a skill the only other option is a dup with no yellow.

How high up can a 5/5/0 character be leveled to?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:

How high up can a 5/5/0 character be leveled to?

229, higher than you'd want to run winfinite.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

This. in general champing and the shift to 10 healthpacks has killed the value of dupes. But the prof is one of the very rare holdouts. Maybe even the only holdout. His blue passive is the key feature of a lot of infinite engines, and for that purpose it is useful to have him underleveled so that its easier to select the proper strongest color. (plus the yellow hampers GSBW in the traditional winfinite lineup).
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Vhailorx wrote:
    In general champing and the shift to 10 healthpacks has killed the value of dupes. But the prof is one of the very rare holdouts. Maybe even the only holdout.
    My ideal roster has two dupes - a 5/0/0 PX (for winfinite) and a 0/0/5 GR (for team-ups). I have the GR dupe, working on the PX dupe. Both characters have championed primaries, of course.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a PX dupe for when I champ my primary (he's one of my remaining 4 no-champs.) I haven't used Winfinite in a while, though.

If your HP income is good enough that it won't really hurt you, I'd say go for it.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is in fact the only 4 (and probably the only char in the whole game) that makes sense to have twice. In my particular case he is the only dup I have.

I have to say though that I don't know if 5/5/0 is the best build for him. It is obvious that yellow power tiles can make things harder for you, but there are some times where something might go wrong and going invisible and buffing those tiles might save your life (this has happened more than once). When 3s are not buffed they all have close to 10k hitpoints or less, so they are really easy to kill (at least at my current level), so 5/4/4 or even 5/3/5 might make sense.

Buuuuut I don't use Winfinite almost never anymore. Now that I am a 5 players, killing three 45k+ hitpoint guys (close to 130k in total) with Winfinite is damn slow, so slow that basically it is not usable. It is unfortunate that the only 5 with purple as strongest color is BW because a 5 with purple as strongest color, champed and buffed 370+ level ProfX, GSBW would probably be still quite strong for PvE.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you don't use Winfinite there's no reason to roster a dupe. He's actually pretty beastly when champed - his tiles can get crazy in a hurry.

Personally I haven't loaded up Charlie's Angels in months. It's boring, and usually slower than just using the week's boosted 4* characters anyway.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I have a dupe but I hardly ever use it. Still, there are some crazy situations where the only way I can win is with a winfinite combo (some boss battles?) and it's really nice to have that option available to me when it comes up.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I also have a winfinite dupe, but I haven't used him in ages. Not since the perfect-score EotS (where I used it on two or three nodes), I think. I could still use my champion Prof with Jean winfinite (I was thinking of using Starlord, but Prof is now several levels ahead of Starlord icon_e_sad.gif ), I guess, but it's so slow that I probably won't.