Earth's Mightiest Proofreaders

UNC_Samurai
UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm a huge fan of the CharSubName_Hulk series.

mxAfjZel.jpg

Comments

• Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let me threadjack and say that what bugs me the most is that every time I read an official announcement, it often confuses "less" and "fewer", "number" and "amount", etc.

But I am also pedantic as a tinykitty.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    And who can forget his famous catchphrase, "CharSubName_Hulk ./$mashsubc++"!!!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let me threadjack and say that what bugs me the most is that every time I read an official announcement, it often confuses "less" and "fewer", "number" and "amount", etc.

Until the difference between less and fewer was pointed out to me, it didn't bother me. Now it drives me bonkers.
    That and people who use "infer" thinking it's a posh way of saying "imply". "So what you're infering is I need to work harder to get more ISO?"

Where I live in England there's a nasty habbit of using "borrow" and "lend" interchangably. "Can I lend a pen off you?" I just ask them who they're going to lend it to and they look at me weirdly. Or if someone asks if someone has a pen and they'll say "Sure, I'll borrow you a pen."
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now I have Word Crimes playing in my head.
    Thank you. That song is awesome.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards

Until the difference between less and fewer was pointed out to me, it didn't bother me. Now it drives me bonkers.
    That and people who use "infer" thinking it's a posh way of saying "imply". "So what you're infering is I need to work harder to get more ISO?"

Where I live in England there's a nasty habbit of using "borrow" and "lend" interchangably. "Can I lend a pen off you?" I just ask them who they're going to lend it to and they look at me weirdly. Or if someone asks if someone has a pen and they'll say "Sure, I'll borrow you a pen."

Not, I'm afraid, a uniquely British linguistic crime. I have family members here in the States, whose education ended with high school, who do the same thing.
  • Let me threadjack and say that what bugs me the most is that every time I read an official announcement, it often confuses "less" and "fewer", "number" and "amount", etc.

Possibly the most widespread disease in the English language (UK) is to use 'them' instead of 'those'. When I hear parents outside school asking their children 'Have you got them pens in your bag ?' ...my heart sinks. What hope is there ?

Off point but wanted to share. I won't even mention people who use the word 'like' multiple times in every sentence.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    6* Hulk confirmed!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I hear parents outside school asking their children 'Have you got them pens in your bag ?' ...my heart sinks.
    ... and it's even worse when they axe them instead...
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I think this was just coding to make sure that 5* banner's transformation was also boosted. Seems like the game treats it like a separate character. If that's the case, without this seemingly gibberish line, the transformed hulk would not be boosted when banner is.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards

Possibly the most widespread disease in the English language (UK) is to use 'them' instead of 'those'. When I hear parents outside school asking their children 'Have you got them pens in your bag ?' ...my heart sinks. What hope is there ?

Off point but wanted to share. I won't even mention people who use the word 'like' multiple times in every sentence.

In the US it's "these ones." As in "Do you want some of these apples?" "Nah I want these ones over here." THE WORD ONES IS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:

icon_lol.gif

Everyone's favourite "could care less..."
    makes as much sense as
    "Tom nodded in complete, 100% agreement. He could agree more."

Personaly I don't like "anyways" because it makes people use "a wayS", "a hallwayS", etc.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    an1979 wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

icon_lol.gif

Everyone's favourite "could care less..."
    makes as much sense as
    "Tom nodded in complete, 100% agreement. He could agree more."

Personaly I don't like "anyways" because it makes people use "a wayS", "a hallwayS", etc.

The trend I've seen over the past 10 years, especially after I moved to Ohio (maybe it's an Ohio thing), is the omission of "to be" as in "this needs (to be) checked". "This needs checked" "That needs cleaned" "You need beaten".

Are we really saving that much time by omitting "to be"?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    At school, which would have been 17 years ago (God I'm old) I remember in an English class the teacher put "a lot" and "alot" on the board and asked people to vote in a show of hands which was correct.

I wondered what she was on about, because obviously it was "a lot", I mean who thinks "alot" is correct?
    Spoiler alert, 1/3 of the class voted for "alot". I just looked around in disbelief. Have none of these dingbats ever read a book? I couldn't believe this was apparently an issue.

Lo and behold, here we are in 2016 and I see it on the internet all the time. Drives me bonkers.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lo and behold, here we are in 2016 and I see it on the internet all the time.
    "All the time"? I can't believe you didn't say "alot"...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    simonsez wrote:
    Lo and behold, here we are in 2016 and I see it on the internet all the time.
    "All the time"? I can't believe you didn't say "alot"...

I'd rather get through the day without vomitting blood -.-
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    madsalad wrote:

The trend I've seen over the past 10 years, especially after I moved to Ohio (maybe it's an Ohio thing), is the omission of "to be" as in "this needs (to be) checked". "This needs checked" "That needs cleaned" "You need beaten".

"To be or not to be? That is the question." icon_e_wink.gif
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    At school, which would have been 17 years ago (God I'm old) I remember in an English class the teacher put "a lot" and "alot" on the board and asked people to vote in a show of hands which was correct.

I wondered what she was on about, because obviously it was "a lot", I mean who thinks "alot" is correct?
    Spoiler alert, 1/3 of the class voted for "alot". I just looked around in disbelief. Have none of these dingbats ever read a book? I couldn't believe this was apparently an issue.

Lo and behold, here we are in 2016 and I see it on the internet all the time. Drives me bonkers.

In high school, my senior English teacher told us that "a lot" was something a cow stands in and if we weren't using it that context then don't use it at all.
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Anyone that enjoys this thread (especially the "alot" talk) needs to read this blog post:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... thing.html

It is awesome (as are most of her stories).
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:

"To be or not to be? That is the question." icon_e_wink.gif

I think you mean, "Or not? That is the question."
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Reoccuring grammatical errors, unpossible.