4* Leveling - 3 200's or one champ?

udonomefoo
udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I have 7 of the top 10 4*s champed already. I'm at the point where I'm looking at a whole bunch of mid-tier characters that I have fully covered, but minimally leveled.

I have covered:
Kingpin
Thing
Antman
Flaptain
Fury
Miles
Mr F

and I have a whole bunch more at 9-11 covers.

It costs 120k to take a 4* from 70-200, or 360k to go all the way to 270.

So, in general, with limited resources (15-20k per day-ish) is it more beneficial to level 3 characters to 200ish or go one at a time to 270?

I keep pulling covers for my fully covered characters and I'll momentarily think "alright, I'm going to put all my effort into this one". Then I realize how far away from max I am and I just sell it to save myself from the manic 2 week scramble. The problem is that most of these characters seem to be only relevant when champed and boosted.

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like to champ rather than raise (exception: to a level you need to beat DDQ's) - that way you stop wasting covers and can get more champ levels faster.

Of that list I prefer Thing (goes well with DPXF if you have him) > Antman/KP.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm with Snowcatt champ is much better than level to 200. Less wasted covers.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    The rising tide strategy isn't bad if you can use the characters. Otherwise all you're doing is allocating your resources suboptimally.

That doesn't mean you have to grind for two weeks to save a cover. Selling covers is perfectly reasonable, but you'll still get to do it less often if you champ, and since you already have a bunch of champs then champing is the only way to give a character any potential at all to be used.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks everybody, that's pretty much what I expected to hear. It's just so sloooooow. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sure do wish I could've double tapped that giant CL iso bonus. icon_twisted.gif
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Thanks everybody, that's pretty much what I expected to hear. It's just so sloooooow. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sure do wish I could've double tapped that giant CL iso bonus. icon_twisted.gif
    Yeah still bitter over not being able to double tap on the iso bonus.

Yeah I wouldn't even use the iso until I have a 14th cover waiting. Then I'd still wait 12 days to see if a better 14th cover came along.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    another thing to be aware of is unless you're running champed 5*, a boosted champ 4* will make your pvp experience alot more palatable for the week, try and spread them out
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Champ for PVP uses. PVE might work better with lower scaling and wider roster.

However, if you have any 5s covers your MMR will be based on lvl 255 anyway, so champing 4s is not a big deal.