Carnage -- is there any point?

JackTenrec
JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Now that defensive PvP teams are magically determined by strength rather than what you've chosen/used, does Carnage have any real use aside from taking advantage of boosted/essential events? Obviously, you can use him any time to win events, but generally, the cost in health packs is so high that literally anything else probably a better alternative.

I have a soon-to-expire cover that I'm pretty sure is headed for the 1000 ISO pile, but I was wondering if anyone had some compelling reasons to talk me out of it.

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you champ him he might occupy a slot on your "strongest team".

I know I hate fighting him. I've never seen him in PvP, but if I did I'd probably skip.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    No point, he is actually terribad. I have him champed and not only have the covers stopped for him, but using him is just a huge cost. He doesnt scare anyone and in fact OML teams enjoy fighting him. F him.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't usually stress about defense since you nearly always lose no matter what, but if I understand the changes, it doesn't just randomly choose a defensive team based on "strength." It only assigns a team for you if you use a radically different team from the one most recently used, like if you go from a full 4* team to full 2*s. I think I read that people experimented a bit and found that you could step down your team a fair amount (subbing 3*s in for 4*s) and not get a random team assignment.

So, yes, you can still use Carnage as a scarecrow.
  • stark0719
    stark0719 Posts: 50 Match Maker
    nope. He is useless. Especially his passive ability. He is one of my top players (lvl wise) but I forget I own him/
    Namely because he hurts both the enemy team and his teammates. I know you were looking for someone to discourage you but I agree, trash him.

icon_carnage.pngenemystrike.pngeattack.pngecountdown.png
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    This is not the first time I see people asking about that, but to be honest I also haven't seen Carnage in versus events.
    Does anyone really use him in defense team?
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Oh yeah just trash him so that we who have Carnage, get better chances. I think you shouldn't. His AoE damage done is one of the best in game. He is formidable foe and with right team mates, really terrifying opponent.
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    I like carnage/oml for hops (if I don't have anyone boosted). Once you fire oml black, it's game over. And health doesn't matter on hops.

And on his boosted weeks, carnage/oml/loaner was a serious climbing team, that required zero health packs.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    So if he is the only red user and buffed you are garunteed to take damage if you face him. He is like many other 4* in the game, when buffed he can be a beast. Unbuffed he has a bullseye on his chest. Overall he is more mid tier than lower tier because he can cause a lot of damage, but his self damage can be a negative without the right team.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    smoq84 wrote:
    This is not the first time I see people asking about that, but to be honest I also haven't seen Carnage in versus events.
    Does anyone really use him in defense team?

I think this is mostly because the game has progressed to the point where his passive just isn't that scary anymore- when most people were still running full 3* teams whose max level was 166, his punch tiles would devour a whole team pretty quickly. Now you've got some 3s that can get up to 25k health boosted and 4s that are over 30k, and he just doesn't send things south in a hurry the way he used to.

I still see him on occasion when he's boosted, and I do avoid him if I can since he's a guaranteed health drain. Red still packs a huge punch for 7 AP, and the backlash damage isn't really that terrible. He's not a mainstay character, but he is definitely useful.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Seems a good fit with Captain Falcon to limit the passive damage. Antman/Carnage/Captain Falcon maybe? Single target destruction, tile stealing, damage mitigation, special tile increase through passive, desperation AOE in emergency... Never tried it but seems OK.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    I play carnage whenever boosted. Just like some other characters, there's an art to using him.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    The funny thing is, he's great when paired with OML, especially when he's boosted. Fire off OML black and Carnage's attack tiles go to town on your opponent. But he's also awesome to face with your own OML for the same reason. Fire off your OML black and Carnage's attack tiles will kill his own team. His red used to be super scary, but it isn't really that bad anymore. He's 2nd or 3rd tier for 4*s.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carnage is one of my first picks when my alliance buddies ask for teamups. That 12 hour patrol time is sweet...
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Yes he has a use. Every time he comes up in the 4* DDQ he earns me a Legendary Token. Thats good enough reason to keep him and put a little iso in him.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    I use him all the time with a 360 (1 yellow) oml and rocket and groot, no health packs necessary, most teams are dead long before oml looses much health carnage tanks nothing and when groot is hurt by the scyths enough full heal. Very useful and even better when boosted.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    The moment I saw Carnage I knew he was designed as an opponent to fight, not as a character to use.
    He'll do heavy damage to all players on the field. The enemy team doesn't have to worry about health packs though. He's a character that you feel less inclined to use simply because you'll have to pour health packs into your characters afterwards.

He makes a lot of sense as an enemy character but he makes little sense as a roster character.
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    OML is the key to Carnage (and this entire game basically). Carnage is an insta skip for me in PvP, especially with OML. It isn't just the tiles. Yes they are annoying, but the animation times are a kick in the balls if you're trying to go fast.

I still think one of the best simulator teams is Oml, Carnage, and Devil Dino.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Carnage is pure awesome for 4*-5* transitioners. 390+ OML with Carnage is magic.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    For a fun time use the following team...

Mr F
    Carnage
    X23

You'll have a team which when you use red with carnage will slap the other team around pretty good, when you use green you'll get some cheap damage from x23 when you use anything carnage will give attack tiles which when the AI matches will heal.Mr f.

Keep carnage off the front line and this team NEVER dies.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    For even more fun, use Carnage, Patch, and 3* Daken, and fire off Patch's green at least once.

You may lose, or you may win, but either way... it'll be over quick.