checkpoints vs shields

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Someone came up with this idea here, and the more i think about it, the more it seems like this would be a better system for pvp rather than shields.

No one ever comes out of the rotation, their points are always there.

once you drop a checkpoint, you wouldn't drop below that point total no matter how many times you were hit.

you can drop a checkpoint whenever you want. no cool downs. no time limits. drop as many as you like.

they could have advanced checkpoints that reduce losses for x number of defensive matches or that increase gains for x number of attacks.

Comments

• DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    I like the idea of checkpoints, but they shouldn't be unlimited. Make them at every other progression reward, once you hit 300 or 800 or 1200, you won't drop below that, but you can be brought down to it.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    So whoever can drop the most checkpoints in the fastest time, wins? Or the fastest team (with the most checkpoints) fielding 2maxxed champed 5*s and a max champed featured character wins.
  • jredd
    So whoever can drop the most checkpoints in the fastest time, wins? Or the fastest team (with the most checkpoints) fielding 2maxxed champed 5*s and a max champed featured character wins.

um, you're not supposed to win...

seriously though. what did you just say?
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    jredd wrote:

He's saying that if they're not limited, you just drop one after every match, and never worry about losses.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    jredd wrote:

He's saying that if they're not limited, you just drop one after every match, and never worry about losses.

Exactly. Sorry for my rambling style. So much content to ponder. Need to work on being concise. Maybe I didn't fully grasp how the checkpoints would work from the OP
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    I don't like the concept of "dropping" checkpoints, but having 2-3 universal checkpoints (550 points, 900 points) might be worth experimenting with.

Now, would folks game that, so when they hit 900, they'd stop playing for an hour and let everyone tee off for free points? Sure.

If we "dropped" a checkpoint "pin," would that be the first thing mentioned in an alliance or 3rd-party chat, so everyone would tee off for free points? Sure.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    I said it once and I'll say it again, if checkpoints ever become a thing, expect progression rewards to be raised significantly.
  • rubix_qube
    rubix_qube Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Checkpoints might be fine to 900 or so, but beyond that only the strongest rosters would ever be able to advance. Really I don't think they would even go much further. If we're always seen since we can't hide behind shields then we all would be attacked constantly. We'd be spinning our wheels on every match. Win one for 50 points and lose 7 for 50 points. All we would be doing is burning health packs. Even playing other events would be near impossible because of all the constant attack notices popping up. At least shields take us out of the rotation for a while.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    DuckyV wrote:
    I said it once and I'll say it again, if checkpoints ever become a thing, expect progression rewards to be raised significantly.

I'm happy I saw this one. However, I missed where you said it before. When you say it again next time, is it possible for you to PM me?

Thanks! icon_razz.gif
  • jredd
    jredd wrote:

Exactly. Sorry for my rambling style. So much content to ponder. Need to work on being concise. Maybe I didn't fully grasp how the checkpoints would work from the OP

obviously they'd still cost hp. not sure what you're sitting on, but i don't have unlimited resources. some people might. i'd be open to a limiter of the amount you could use. at any rate i think it'd be worth an experiment or two to see if it improves the pvp experience.
  • Maybe keep it simple, just calculate our event score as is. As I am playing I reach 700 points, get hit for 500, haha I have 200 points. However, my progression score stays at 700. I fight for another 100 points and I reach the 800 point reward, I get hit for another 500 and my event score drops to 300. I keep playing and progress to 825, 850, 900, 1200 etc. and my event score reflects the added points but is subject to change until I shield or don't.

However that doesn't get rid of shields, which need to go. On the plus side, it doesn't introduce a new feature with a fancy label, an in-your-face banner that nobody wants and breaks half of the game.
  • jredd
    Maybe keep it simple, just calculate our event score as is. As I am playing I reach 700 points, get hit for 500, haha I have 200 points. However, my progression score stays at 700. I fight for another 100 points and I reach the 800 point reward, I get hit for another 500 and my event score drops to 300. I keep playing and progress to 825, 850, 900, 1200 etc. and my event score reflects the added points but is subject to change until I shield or don't.

However that doesn't get rid of shields, which need to go. On the plus side, it doesn't introduce a new feature with a fancy label, an in-your-face banner that nobody wants and breaks half of the game.

that'd be nice. but progression rewards would have to increase in value significantly in this type of system.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone who remembers and played PVP competitively before shield timers, this is a terrible idea. You think battle chats and cupcakes inflated scores? Need I remind everyone that certain alliances hit 6-7k/PVP back in the good old days?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    As someone who remembers and played PVP competitively before shield timers, this is a terrible idea. You think battle chats and cupcakes inflated scores? Need I remind everyone that certain alliances hit 6-7k/PVP back in the good old days?

Yeah, this could be gamed pretty easily as described.

There's a tweak you could make to address that somewhat, though, which would be that if you were pulled back down to a checkpoint, you'd drop out of the pool of possible queues for as long as you remained at that value. Wouldn't fix everything, but it would mean that you wouldn't have a static pool of easy fights at those point values.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    The system would have to include a mechanism to prevent retreat-boosting. Once a committed group gets one member of their group over a checkpoint the rest now have a safe target to select to get pulled up after. Rinse and repeat this process for a few hours and you have a recipe for a runaway score that wouldn't be believed.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    jredd wrote:
    Someone came up with this idea here....

That would be me. 2 years ago... icon_e_smile.gif

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19590