how do pve event points regenerate?

Options
Renaldoo
Renaldoo Posts: 114
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
The 8-hour reset seems to be pretty common knowledge, but do the points come back linearly over time, or should you wait for the full 8 hours?

Comments

• Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    12 hour reset for this event, and after 12 hours they just pop back up based on the last time to finished the Node.
  • Renaldoo wrote:
    The 8-hour reset seems to be pretty common knowledge, but do the points come back linearly over time, or should you wait for the full 8 hours?

Every node has a stack of 5 point values. Each point value resets 12 hours after you last completed it. However, it resets the stack in order.

The lowest stack is always the first to refresh after 12 hours.

Typical rule of thumb:

24 hour sub = 8 hour refresh, > 24 hours = 12 hour refresh
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Due to rubberbanding, it may look as if points are coming back gradually, though.

I never grind nodes down to one, so I have to write down when I finished the sub to make sure I give it exactly 12 hours - no way to tell if those 1153 points are the maximum value or not.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    Due to rubberbanding, it may look as if points are coming back gradually, though.

I never grind nodes down to one, so I have to write down when I finished the sub to make sure I give it exactly 12 hours - no way to tell if those 1153 points are the maximum value or not.

Yes exactly. Points will creep up continually as the leader pushes away from you/you drop in ranking.
  • I have no hard facts; just my observational skills and my experience with the game, but this is how I think it works.In order to help everyone understand, I will right down some facts. For the calculations I use an imaginary set of missions since I don't remember how many points each mission gave when they maxed, but I will use some values I remember. Here are some facts we will use:

- A sub with 6 missions which give 3400-3000-2500-1500-1000-500 points respectively
    - Each mission has 5 "levels" which give points equal to a % of the max level (Level 1), e.g. the mission which gives 3400 in level 1 will give 3400*0.8 = 2720 in level 2.
    - The max points a mission can give is X*(100%+80%+60%+40%+20%) = X*300%, e.g. he mission which gives 3400 in level 1 has the potential to give 3400*300% = 10200 points.

And here is the part which could and up being science fiction:
    Every few seconds, and right after you complete a mission, the game calculates the max points you can get if you could complete all remaining levels in all missions that exact moment. Obviously, this can't happen but the game assumes it is possible. To do that it examines 2 parameters. The overall performance of your bracket and the points the bracket with the highest score. Based on that it generates a number of points that should be the max you can achieve at that moment. Next, it subtracts from that value the points you already have to give the points you can win by beating all the levels of the remaining missions. Let's call this value X.

Next comes the part where the game decides how many points are worth the current levels of the missions. It checks the mission levels that remain and the max points you can gain by beating the topmost level of each mission. Let's call this value Y. For some mission it can be level 1 (100% of points) while for others that have not refreshed yet it can be a lower level, like level 3. If Y < X, all mission levels appear to give max points. If Y > X then the points are not maxed. This is easier to explain using an example. To make things simpler we assume we are 3 hours before the end (no more refreshes) and the player has just started playing (0 points).

- The game determines that the player should be able to reach 20k points. The player hasn't started playing yet and all missions are at level 1 (100%) so X = 20000.
    - The game calculates Y. Y = 3400+3000+2500+1500+1000+500 => Y=11900. Since X > Y all missions give max points.
    - The player wins level 1 from mission 1 (3400 points). The new X = 20000-3400 = 16600 and Y = 2720+3000+2500+1500+1000+500 = 11220. Since is still X > Y all missions continue to give max points (mission 1 gives 2720 though since it is level 2).

The player keeps playing and he wins the level 1 of all missions 2 + 3 + 4 (3000+2500+2000). This gives X= 20000-3400-3000-2500-1500 = 9600 and Y = 2720+2400+2000+1200+1000+500 = 9820.
    This is the first time X < Y and the game reduces the points each mission gives so they no longer show max points. I think the drop rate is determined by a % in order to keep things even. Since the ratio 9100/9820 = 0.93 the game reduces the points given by each level by that %. This means that mission 1 no longer gives 2720 points, but instead 2720*0.93 = 2530. Same with the other missions.

In our example we didn't add to X the bonus from rubberbanding (which may continue adding to the max) to make the calculations simpler, but it is safe to assume that after each match, or after a period of time, X would be slightly increased so the points would not be round as they are in the example.

If this is how things work, there is something interesting worth noting.
    1) It is unlikely this can happen, but if someone plays early, grinding all missions to 1 point, leaving only a couple at level 5, and return 1 hour before the end without enough time for a refresh, it is possible that he will not be able to get the max points from rubberbanding since the max points he can get are now limited by the cap of the lowest level (level 5 -> 20% of max points). For example, if he could win 1000 points, but he can only play 2x level 5 missions (total 200-400 points) he is wasting points he could win.

2) The more important part though is that it should be possible for someone to grind all missions with difficult opponents to 1 early without having to wait until the end of the last rotaition where the levels are most likely to go up (even if it is only slightly higher) and leave only a mission with easy opponents to level 1 (100%). Since in level 1 the cap is high, it is most likely enough to win all available points by playing that mission 5 times.

As I said, this is pure speculation and it is just an effort to understand how the point system works.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sorry narkon, that's a beautiful dissertation and is almost completely wrong.

The points on offer are based on two things, a base amount set per mission and your distance from the global leader for that sub event.

If you are the global leader, or within X points of the global leader, you just get the base points of a mission.
    There is mother value Y points at which you are so far behind you get 10 times the base points. You can never get a multiplier higher than 10.
    If you are between Y and X points behind then your multiplier is adjusted down linearly. Basically.

With the X lower bound and Y upper bound limiting you at 1and 10x multipliers respectively, the formula is
    (Distance behind x 10 / Y)

Every time you pick up points your distance behind goes down so your multiplier goes down. When the global leader starts pulling away from you your multiplier rises. The value of Y is different per event. I believe the value of X is always Y /10, but that is based off the good work Nemek did on the Hulk event and I don't think we've had another event with a global leader board to cross check on.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You have to feed them after midnight.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

What!?

That morphs them. Getting them wet multiplies them. And running them over with a toy train is just funny.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:

What!?

That morphs them. Getting them wet multiplies them. And running them over with a toy train is just funny.

Sorry, I was thinking of midgets.