Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    kobu wrote:
    alphabeta wrote:
    Take the right tool for the right job

Options

Quake (boosted) AOE nerf for their tommy gun damage
    Antman - use blue to capture those strike tiles and see how long the match lasts
    Tean Jean - Goon killing superstar
    Elecktra - strike tile capture
    Loki - you'll have some very nice defensive tiles very quickly
    Moonstone - capture those strike tiles

At all levels of play there is a tool for every job - use those and you'll look forward to seeing goon nodes

Moonstone doesn't really cut it when at best she takes 3 of any tile at 9 black AP. That's generally too slow and completely unreliable for a 2* player when they pump out 2 tiles a turn. A 5 black Loki is still pretty far away for me. Other 3* suggestions and tile overwriters like Cap are again way too slow to keep up. The only other reasonable suggestion I see mentioned above is OBW. She can delay every countdown, which is actually useful, but one Threaten you can't deal with in time and it's probably game over.

It's really telling when my team of IM40 and OBW failed Cap Marvel's essential (3 Muscle) twice attempting the second clear for lack of yellow/blue AP, yet the first four clears of the 4* essential (Ares, Juggernaut, Moonstone) is a walk in the park for any team I care to put together. I also retreated once after getting two 5 matches on the opening round when a few rounds later I saw how I couldn't match any countdowns and had no yellow AP available, much less any place to put my own countdowns. Oh, and the first Muscle still had most of his life yet. I had a great opening, but it was worthless against these guys. Fun times. These mooks are just plain overpowered compared to the actual superheroes a 2 and 3* roster can field.

If you have IM40 and Cap, they make a strong enough combo to take out any number of goons, Muscle or not.

I don't use the combo a lot because trying to avoid matching away my own countdowns when I have five of them on the board slows down my play enough that I stop wanting to think so hard, but the power is there. Cap is anything but slow when backed by Iron Man. He is THE 3* trump against countdowns.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used Antman and Falcon and breezed through them. I went straight for Falcons blue and matched the tile away then when I had enough for antman blue just stole them. Then with Antmans yellow and falcons yellow bonus it was over fast.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I hate these crazy muscle nodes. I can use certain characters like AM, but they often die after one fight. I remove a few strike tiles, and then many more pop up.

At a certain point, I usually just give up and skip them.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    One consideration I keep missing in this thread: bringing a character that can steal or convert or eliminate those strike tiles is cool and all, but every tactic you have falls down the drain if you can't gather enough AP to fire those powers in time. And even if you *were* able to collect the required AP, you can still be wasted:
    • the countdown tile popping results in a match, or even worse, a cascade
    • the ai makes a move in the same turn (more match+cascade risk)
    • a blue countdown activates after the yellow one, laying waste to your entire team
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    DeNappa wrote:
    One consideration I keep missing in this thread: bringing a character that can steal or convert or eliminate those strike tiles is cool and all, but every tactic you have falls down the drain if you can't gather enough AP to fire those powers in time. And even if you *were* able to collect the required AP, you can still be wasted:
    • a blue countdown activates after the yellow one, laying waste to your entire team

So you don't bring one character you bring a team designed to address the challenges a node gives.

Antman, IM40 and GG for example would address all your concerns 9 times out of 10. Give GG as a 5* isn't widely available and some of these are essential nodes Antman and IM40 work well with most for these type of challenges - also fire ant man blue the turn before threaten fires as it doesn't capture on first turn active so you capture them straight away.

Nodes like these offer a challenge otherwise people could bring whoever they want and win every time without thought, planning or strategy.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I think the conclusion is that the only reliable killer on the muscles is Ant Man. Loki and OBW, while sometimes able to help, don't add enough damage to reliably take out the high health muscles before they inevitably fire off their cheap spammable powers.

So basically, suck it, non 4 star.png players.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    alphabeta wrote:
    DeNappa wrote:

So you don't bring one character you bring a team designed to address the challenges a node gives.

Antman, IM40 and GG for example would address all your concerns 9 times out of 10. Give GG as a 5* isn't widely available and some of these are essential nodes Antman and IM40 work well with most for these type of challenges - also fire ant man blue the turn before threaten fires as it doesn't capture on first turn active so you capture them straight away.

Nodes like these offer a challenge otherwise people could bring whoever they want and win every time without thought, planning or strategy.
    My 3/1/3 ant man doesn't agree. And who is this GG you speak of? icon_e_wink.gif

Additionally, Muscle colors are blue and yellow, which makes them more likely to be matched by the AI, if they are paired with tile movers like Bullseye. Which kinda sucks if your counter team requires... yellow and blue.

I won't deny there are strategies you can use against them, your proposed counter is a decent one provided you have the characters you need. The major point I was trying to make was that since the countdowns resolve AFTER you finish your turn you can still get screwed over majorly, especially with a tile moving opponent.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Switch/falcap/antman

Im40/lcap/kk

Im40/shulk/lcap

You could go on...it's slow as hell doing im40/lcap but it makes a mockery of any goon node.

When I was a 3* player I didn't even have im40 and still used super Steve to easily beat goon nodes.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I couldn't help but let out a snort when I noticed the first battle on day 4 was... 3 muscles icon_lol.gif