Good Westvale Abbey deck?

Hey guys, so I pulled Westvale Abbey tody and I want to make a deck around it, however without the ability to give it reach or vigilance as the creature just ignore it. I have all PW except Nahiri and Jace 2.0 and enough cards where it shouldn't be this hard to make a good deck. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Bazingaconnor
    Bazingaconnor Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Sarkhan seems like a good choice for an Abbey deck, if you ignore the fact his ult has better synergy with uber-powerful dragons. His first ability will help you get Westvale Abbey, and his second ability will help you kill your humans to bring out the demon prince.

Cards like Abbot of Keral Keep and Volcanic Rambler would be good, as they will help trigger the activate gems to make humans.

Cards like bone splinters and tormented thoughts would be good, as they allow you to quickly kill off your humans for good benefits.

I don't know what else you should put in the deck, but these are my first impressions on making an Abbey deck.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    On a side note you can also try to abuse abbey giving him defender vigilance or reach.
    You will get a HUGE wall that will most likely transform after tanking for a while
    icon_e_wink.gif
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Morphis wrote:
    On a side note you can also try to abuse abbey giving him defender vigilance or reach.
    You will get a HUGE wall that will most likely transform after tanking for a while
    icon_e_wink.gif
    Westlake Abbey cannot block - even if it has reach, Defender, or vigilance. However, it can be attacked by BERSERKERS - since that is technically not blocking.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    HomeRn wrote:
    Morphis wrote:
    icon_e_wink.gif
    Westlake Abbey cannot block - even if it has reach, Defender, or vigilance. However, it can be attacked by BERSERKERS - since that is technically not blocking.
    Why? The card does not state anywhere and in any form that it cannot attack or block.
    It can still be the case but it should be written clearly like for thing in the ice.

Will try to test it personally.

Edit: confirmed being unable to block despite nothing stating it.
    Probably abbey's already long description did not allow devs to write it down.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Morphis wrote:
    HomeRn wrote:
    Morphis wrote:
    icon_e_wink.gif
    Why? The card does not state anywhere and in any form that it cannot attack or block.
    It can still be the case but it should be written clearly like for thing in the ice.

Will try to test it personally.

Edit: confirmed being unable to block despite nothing stating it.
    Probably abbey's already long description did not allow devs to write it down.
    It probably was supposed to say cannot block - it probably cannot attack as well in this case.

Probably the best way to use Westvale Abbey is with Murder Investigation and the never-ending supply of 1/1 Human Soldier tokens (rather odd the card's text doesn't mention the fact that the tokens are indeed Human...).
  • Rannah
    Rannah Posts: 13
    The card is disabled while in Abbey form, that's why it can't block. However, if you pump up his attack with Sorin's 3rd ability, when beserkers attack him, he will damage/kill them. Best bet is to either us haunted cloak to give blocking to a human, or use a cheap human blocker. Topan Freeblade, Nearheath Chaplain, Dauntless Cathar, etc.
  • DuskPaladin
    DuskPaladin Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Westvale Abbey taking a creature slot really limits its use, unfortunately. A W/B Sorin sacrifice deck might work, but you would have to be careful about not sacrificing your Abbey by mistake.
  • Ciotog
    Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
    I pulled the abbey card out last week and have been playing around with a Sorin deck for it. This is what I put together and it wins most games and has a good chance to actually transform the abbey:

Creatures:
    Sigarda, Heron's Grace (another human token generator)
    Pious Evangel / Wayward Disciple (1st form returns life when you generate a token, 2nd form deals damage when you have a creature die)
    Westvale Abbey / Ormendahl, Profane Prince

Spells:
    Trangress the Mind (stall for time)
    Anguished Unmaking
    To the Slaughter
    Descend upon the Sinful / Grasp of Desolation
    Altar's Reap / Bone Splinters (useful ways to sacrifice humans to the Abbey)

Supports:
    Tamiyo's Journal
    Sword of the Animist (break more gems = get more human tokens)

This was my standard Sorin deck with the Abbey just thrown in, it wins by using the Abbey maybe 1 in 4 games.
  • It took a number of losses to tune each deck to use the abbey successfully for me. sorin and nahiri are best suited I think. With nahiri I've done best with:
    creatures
    westvale abbey
    lone rider*
    paranoid parish blade*
    serene steward*
    spells
    fiery conclusion
    furious reprisal*
    devils playground**
    haunted cloak
    supports
    murder investigation
    tamiyo's journal***
    So, we know decks can "clump" and you may never get the abbey, so you want your 3 humans to be competent. I know use aviary mechanic and visionary augmentor instead of steward and parish. fiery conclusion/devils lets you police the opponents attackers while still working on the abbey. Same goes for reprisal, or use it to knock off a token and hit the abbey for 2.The cloak, and putting vigilance on a stout enemy creature also helps keep the human blood flowing best for me. if you get the abbey, you obviously wont be using stoneforge, and will likely have taken fair amounts of dmg, so the turn it flips, harbinger, and you usually will win as well. Uncaged fury can insure this if you opt it instead of another spell. What do y'all think?
  • orgazmo
    orgazmo Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    I recently got the card and without blocking its a waste of a slot.