PvE is such a wretched experience when your 4*s suck.

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The scaling is very funky in PvE. The top level for PvEs for me is about 310 on the hardest node. And with my roster, fair enough.

The problem is, it's always that regardless of boosted characters. In a way that's a good thing but it also means if I don't have the good 4*s at a suitable level it takes forever to beat these nodes. It's a tedious grind.

The PvE before Juggernaut, I was using IM40 and Thoress and I could bash down each node four times within an hour. I've spent an hour and a half and I've done the three hard nodes and the 4* required 4 times. I'm already at the point where I'm thinking "I can't go on" on day one. I have no fast solution, I have no speedy way to grind these things down.

My best 4* for this event is Professor X...and he's boosted to level 281, which is nothing really. Otherwise I have Rocket & Groot or Magneto. And...okay Magneto is still good even now but he's not fast. And it still takes multiple casts to knock people down, especially with Bullseye around.

Solution? I'm hoping the scaling would drop a little if your best boosted character is weaker than the max potential 4*, or something. It's silly that I get the same scaling with my powerhouse level 370 Thoress that I do with my mediocre level 297 Rocket & Groot.

Comments

• Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Professor X and R/G make a good team though. Make those strike tiles get +1000000 and all.

But honestly I agree. Except I have Drax, so it doesn't apply to me personally. Still, hey man I hope you do well and all. I wish you the best.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    What really doesn't help is I don't particularly need anything from this. My Hulk's already at 13 covers and no way will I get the 4* placement because I never have and never will outside of a new release.

I really feel like not stressing over this and using the 4 hours I spend nightly on playing something else. I might just slowly grind to progression but.....ehhhhh.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am in the same boat icon_e_sad.gif My main goal is to reach to top progression but it will be a long PvE and I usually have less playing time on weekends... might not make it but it's just a game....
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    It's pretty much similar story for me, with just a few 3* champs (5 since todays morning). With so few of them, rarely I have a boosted one, so usually I end up with ~170 KK+IM40 + lvl 2xx boosted 2*. Then hard modes scale up to 222 lvl. It's not impossible, but a massive drain of healthpacks and time.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    The scaling is very funky in PvE. The top level for PvEs for me is about 310 on the hardest node. And with my roster, fair enough.

The problem is, it's always that regardless of boosted characters.

Solution? I'm hoping the scaling would drop a little if your best boosted character is weaker than the max potential 4*, or something. It's silly that I get the same scaling with my powerhouse level 370 Thoress that I do with my mediocre level 297 Rocket & Groot.

That is not enterily true. PvE difficulty level takes into account the level of your buffed chars, not their original level. But if you have just one 4 buffed that week, that is basically raising 70/3 = 23 that is then multiplied by some strange factor that reduces it a bit to something close to 15-20 extra levels which is not a lot, and I guess this is why you think it is the same. But I know for sure that buffed levels are the ones used.

What it is totally true is that depending on which are your buffed chars that week you might have some problems with scaling (and this is why most people preferred the difficulty level to be calculated without the use of buffed levels). I remember one occasion where just my xforce was buffed, none of the good 4s I had at that time, and of course it was after he was nerfed, so I had to fight higher difficulty levels without the aid of any good level 4. That was a big problem just after xforce and 4hor were nerfed and until people could level IMHB and Jean.

This is why I was so afraid that OML could be nerfed, once you level a char or two to max there is no going back with scaling. I have to fight 400+ level enemies. Now imagine that OML and/or PH is nerfed I would have to face those same enemies but with nerfed chars, a NIGHTMARE,
  • Hard mode is supposed to be hard. Its supposed to eat up health packs
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Polares wrote:
    That is not enterily true. PvE difficulty level takes into account the level of your buffed chars, not their original level. But if you have just one 4 buffed that week, that is basically raising 70/3 = 23 that is then multiplied by some strange factor that reduces it a bit to something close to 15-20 extra levels which is not a lot, and I guess this is why you think it is the same. But I know for sure that buffed levels are the ones used.

That can't be right. I'm getting the same max level on the hardest PvE node now with my best character at 297 as I was in Juggernaut Heroic when my best character was level 370+. Hell, in Juggernaut I had three boosted champed 4*s and the levels were the same.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know how much of this is wonky scaling, but Muscle is extra painful right now and Bullseye seems to be locking my match damage out with very few tiles.

It feels like this PvE needs a weird selection of unbuffered characters to get through better (Quake and BSSM spring to mind, who unfortunately I have sod all covers for).
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    yeah I just got smoked by Bullseye + Muscle in the Cho node. soooo many countdown tiles, I couldn't keep up. after a couple went off they were doing 2000+ on tile damage alone.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:

That can't be right. I'm getting the same max level on the hardest PvE node now with my best character at 297 as I was in Juggernaut Heroic when my best character was level 370+. Hell, in Juggernaut I had three boosted champed 4*s and the levels were the same.

Mmm I don't know what is happening with your scaling but for me at least it works like this. I have champed 5s, so my enemies are usually 435 or so, but in the last Heroic, with three champed buffed 4s my enemies were 325 or so (I wouldn't be able to play at all in Heroics if it wasn't like this). The scaling for me is always (with max covered chars) the average of the max 3 chars I can use in that sub and then remove 15-20 levels or so.

Maybe you levelled those chars mid event or your chars were not max covered. Maybe someone else can prove me wrong, but I am quite sure this is how it should work.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    The one thing I have noticed about thick as thieves is the trivial characters have scaled up a lot more than normal.

As far as the **** boosted 4* I think it will actually make PVP a whole lot worse especially with everyone using the loaner Cage since he is a new character.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML tank, and Loki to flip the board? Haven't started the event yet, just throwing out suggestions. Or your go to team and a Loki TU used at the right time.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really feel like not stressing over this and using the 4 hours I spend nightly on playing something else. I might just slowly grind to progression but.....ehhhhh.

This is the correct solution. Definitely play for progression with clearance levels (free 4*!), but there's nothing that says you're required to bang your head against the wall in PvE (well unless you're in alliance that requires such things, in which case I'm sorry).

I skipped Juggernaut's event, may not play TaT either. It feels great.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Polares wrote:
    Mmm I don't know what is happening with your scaling but for me at least it works like this. I have champed 5s, so my enemies are usually 435 or so, but in the last Heroic, with three champed buffed 4s my enemies were 325 or so (I wouldn't be able to play at all in Heroics if it wasn't like this). The scaling for me is always (with max covered chars) the average of the max 3 chars I can use in that sub and then remove 15-20 levels or so.

Maybe you levelled those chars mid event or your chars were not max covered. Maybe someone else can prove me wrong, but I am quite sure this is how it should work.

I mean, check my roster, dude.
    I save up ISO until I have enough to max out a character in one go, so it's nothing to do with that. Maybe a character level from covers here and there but nothing major.
    I'm actually getting heavier scaling this time, I notice. In Juggernaut the highest levels were about 310, now it's 320. And my roster's weaker.

I actually resorted to Thoress/IM40 last night because it was faster than using my boosted 3*s (still feeling that 3* nerf, devs).
    Yes, an unboosted 4* did a faster job of clearing out the enemies than my boosted 3*s that were a higher level than her.

This is the correct solution. Definitely play for progression with clearance levels (free 4*!), but there's nothing that says you're required to bang your head against the wall in PvE (well unless you're in alliance that requires such things, in which case I'm sorry).

I skipped Juggernaut's event, may not play TaT either. It feels great.

I'm honestly at that point now. I'm a couple of thousand points away from the first 5CP reward, I might just get that and then give up. Grinding through those nodes was tedious as all hell last night.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    This is my biggest worry. Right now, I have icon_cyclops.png, icon_ironman.png, icon_antman.png, and icon_thor.png all at 13 covers and in need of being respec-ed to be really useful (I also have a fully covered icon_nickfury.png and icon_invisiblewoman.png, but ehhhhh). I also have the iso to take them from lvl 131 and champ them all. I have all 3*s champed and when they're boosted they are already around 270. I would assume, based on what the devs have said, that if I maxed those 4*s and none of them were boosted, my scaling should be as it is now, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So when is the tipping point? I'd like to max and use my 4*s. I'm not too concerned with PvP, as I don't do much on that side of the game. But with 4 decent 4*s and a Rulk at 4/4/4, I'm getting the itch. I just don't want to screw up the game for myself.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    This is my biggest worry. Right now, I have icon_cyclops.png, icon_ironman.png, icon_antman.png, and icon_thor.png all at 13 covers and in need of being respec-ed to be really useful (I also have a fully covered icon_nickfury.png and icon_invisiblewoman.png, but ehhhhh). I also have the iso to take them from lvl 131 and champ them all. I have all 3*s champed and when they're boosted they are already around 270. I would assume, based on what the devs have said, that if I maxed those 4*s and none of them were boosted, my scaling should be as it is now, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So when is the tipping point? I'd like to max and use my 4*s. I'm not too concerned with PvP, as I don't do much on that side of the game. But with 4 decent 4*s and a Rulk at 4/4/4, I'm getting the itch. I just don't want to screw up the game for myself.
    I'd go ahead and champ those 4. Those are 4 of the 6 I have champed and I'm able to keep pushing through. My roster is in my link.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dragon...

Try switch/antman/falcap

Match blue, you'll quickly speed your way to switch giving you lots of purple for a grow punch and at the same time can use the blue for antman to steal those big strikes.

This is my go to team for maggia goon pve nodes. Its pretty quick and deals with everything. You also don't have to worry about bullseye protect tiles.

I'm at a loss as to why you're struggling to be honest, your roster is better than mine and I don't struggle even with level 332 enemies.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon...

Try switch/antman/falcap

Match blue, you'll quickly speed your way to switch giving you lots of purple for a grow punch and at the same time can use the blue for antman to steal those big strikes.

This is my go to team for maggia goon pve nodes. Its pretty quick and deals with everything. You also don't have to worry about bullseye protect tiles.

I'm at a loss as to why you're struggling to be honest, your roster is better than mine and I don't struggle even with level 332 enemies.

It's less that it's difficult and more that it's tedious. If you have a boosted champed 4*, generally you can burn through these nodes. But without it, it slows things down a lot.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Didn't mind the last heroic, when I had GT maxed and was working on maxing X23 that week.

Don't mind the current one, where I can pair SW with Phoenix.

Next heroic though...no Phoenix, no maxed 4*, probably an event skipped for me!