It just got harder to get 3* covers?!

richterbelmont10
richterbelmont10 Posts: 186
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi, I’m a humble 3* player. I’ve got about half of the best 3* championed. To get 3* covers, I rely on DDQ and Versus. Before the new Clearance levels, I would join a Versus event with about 1 hour left to try and finish top 100 in order to get a 3* cover. This would almost always work. Now, things just got a lot harder. In order to win a 3* cover, I now need to finish top 50 in the highest clearance level 7, where the players with monster rosters congregate! If I select a lower clearance level, I need to finish even higher (top 25 for level 6 or top 10 for level 5). This just got really hard! Does anyone have any helpful ideas?

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are two reasons this change isn't quite as bad as it seems, although I do still agree that it's bad.

1) It's easier to place high in the lower clearance levels, because you're not competing with any of the advanced players who pick CL7.

2) The placement awards also come with multiple elite tokens, so if you miss the guaranteed covers you still have an okay chance at 1-2 random 3* pulls.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    You may not want to play PVE, but if you do, getting covers has been made simpler at CL7. I always ignore placement, since high placement requires a level of dedication I refuse to contemplate, so any placement is a bonus. But, if you only look at progression rewards:

In the past, 2-3 clears per day would generate 1 3* cover plus lower level awards; 4 clears per day would generate that plus an extra token and 25 CP
    Now, at CL7, 2-3 clears per day generates 2 3* covers, 1 4* cover, and 10 CP; 4 clears per day generates that, plus an extra token and 15 CP (so still 25 total)

Also, the random placement awards have moved from event tokens to multiple elite tokens, so you're more likely to get 3* pulls from there.

I'm finding CL7 no more difficult scaling-wise than it was before clearance levels.

YMMV; I'm trying to transition to 4*, but don't yet have a fully covered 4* so I'm squarely in 3* land.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are two reasons this change isn't quite as bad as it seems, although I do still agree that it's bad.

1) It's easier to place high in the lower clearance levels, because you're not competing with any of the advanced players who pick CL7.

2) The placement awards also come with multiple elite tokens, so if you miss the guaranteed covers you still have an okay chance at 1-2 random 3* pulls.

I'm not too sure.

I believe it's still time bracket based,
    most low cl players have low enough rosters that they don't see higher ranked players

A good chunk of players keep confirming that its not just CL based.
  • CrookedKnight
    You still fight players from other CLs, but you're not placed into scoring brackets with them.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    You still fight players from other CLs, but you're not placed into scoring brackets with them.

Thats a **** idea, especially considering once I hit 500 or so points I get 2 options as opponents over and over.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:

Thats a **** idea, especially considering once I hit 500 or so points I get 2 options as opponents over and over.
    If you didn't get matched with players from other CLs you probably wouldn't get any options at all...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

If you didn't get matched with players from other CLs you probably wouldn't get any options at all...

If that were true you'd defacto place 1st in that bracket... which would be cool also...

People keep saying this, but I don't think anyone other than the devs really have the stats to say that with certainty.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

If that were true you'd defacto place 1st in that bracket... which would be cool also...

People keep saying this, but I don't think anyone other than the devs really have the stats to say that with certainty.
    It's more likely that you just couldn't get matched with the bracket leader, that's not at all uncommon if their rosters are advanced enough.
    I suppose we just have to agree to disagree though.
  • There are two reasons this change isn't quite as bad as it seems, although I do still agree that it's bad.

That’s true. Should I pick CL6 hoping for top 25 or CL5 hoping for top 10? I finished 2nd in CL5 but I think that was only because I was lucky enough to be among the first to join the shard in the last hour.
    How many elite tokens do I get? I noticed that I got 3 elite tokens for finishing 2nd place in CL5 , but when I check the placement preview rewards, it just says, “Sentry: Yellow, Red, and Green powers, 3000 ISO, 100 HP.” Nothing about elite tokens.
    You may not want to play PVE, but if you do, getting covers has been made simpler at CL7.
    I noticed that, and I do play PVE, and I do appreciate the extra 3* covers.
    I think you may be right. I was one of the first to enter the shard and I quickly climbed to top 5 after getting about 200 points. Even at that high placement, I was still seeing matches worth 50-60 points.
  • CrookedKnight
    I think you get all the tokens awarded for the highest possible placement that doesn't give out a guaranteed cover, whatever that happens to be for your CL.