Apply Scaling to the Essential Character in Essential nodes

FaustianDeal
FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
Essential nodes in PVE wind up having the effect of being handicap matches where we are running 2 characters against 3 enemies. If that's the intention, fine. But I don't think it is. I think the goal is to run a match that would make the players want to use the essential character (and maybe even be glad they are in the lineup - instead of viewing them as a boat anchor taking up valuable space). Given that:

For PVE I want to suggest having 2 levels of scaling for the essential characters.
For the 6 normal nodes, the existing buffs are okay. They might induce the player to use the feature, or they may not.

But for the essential node for each character - scale the required character by a level commensurate to the enemy scaling. I'm guessing a little, but I'm betting there is a roster 'level' applied to each of us for PVE, and each node has a series of scaling values applied to our 'level'.

Assume, for example, that your player level is defined as the average of your 6 highest leveled character. Scale the essential to that average level. Then let the nodes run.

For example If my 6 best characters are a mix of 3/4*s leveled to 210, 200, 200, 190, 166, 150 - my player level is '186' .

If the 3* essential node is set to scale
first hit: Player level *.9
second hit: Player level * 1.05
third hit: Player level * 1.25
fourth hit: Player level * 1.55
5+ hit(s): Player level * 2.0

(You can see how this model would quickly become irritating to more veteran players with mature 4*, transitioning to 5*, rosters if your player level rises to 350, and you are now facing level 700 enemies with one of your teammates locked as a level 144 3*.)

Set the base scaling for my 3* character to at least 186, unless the normal buff for the week brings them higher than that. Meaning if you 3* is level 166 give them at least 20 levels of buff to 186. But if the are only level 100 they get + 10. This is obviously more meaningful at higher player levels where the 3* character should be getting a boost of more like +200 levels, instead of a paltry +40.

This way I don't go into the match resenting that they are included, they might even add value to the match, or I might team-build around having them, instead of just ignoring them.

Comments

• Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I think the essential nodes act like gates to rewards. Without doing essential nodes, top progression rewards are HARD; and top placement rewards are IMPOSSIBLE. They are a way for D3 to say: buy roster slots!

So, yes, for the most part I think that essential nodes should be EASIER than the regular nodes; simply because people have paid for roster slots to enable them to do those nodes.
  • Ding
    Ding Posts: 179
    I think the scaling for essentials should be based on the average of your top 2 +the highest level the essential can be without championing. for example lets say you have two 5*s champed and your 2* is only level 15. Make the scaling based on 450+450+94. Even if your characters are level 144 it would give the same scaling. This gives every player the motivation to increase the levels of all their characters