Impoving Aerial Avenger (Sam Wilson: Captain America)

zodiac339
zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
With character re-balances underway, I recently thought of potential improvement on this Legendary character. For his rare version, Inspiration is a great power, improving your damage or defense substantially. Aerial Avenger has not been as impressive however, which is strange considering that it's for a higher tier character. The main complaint, typically, is that the countdown reduction aspect was a poor alteration of the power, not synergizing well with most characters in the 4-star tier. There are quite a lot of characters who benefit from the countdowns remaining on the board. It honestly is a bit like Doctor Octopus' Armed and Dangerous, trying to do several things, but not doing them well (and AA is only trying to do two things!).
I would like to propose a modification of the Redwing power to replace the countdown reduction:

At rank 5 "When your team matches blue, improve 2 friendly strike/protect/attack tiles by (amount) and reduce 1 enemy (or potentially 2 enemy at rank 5) strike/protect/attack tiles by (amount), to a minimum of 1. If the enemy tile is already at strength 1, convert it to a basic tile."

Falcon's ability to cleanse enemy tiles has always been a great strength of the character, and a great loss when transitioning to 4-star. While this modification wouldn't have the power to deal with enemy countdowns, I believe that returning the ability to weaken the enemy would be an improvement.

Comments

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    ALTERNATIVE

I was just thinking about Lunacy and Love and Fear. If Aerial Avenger were to continue affecting countdown tiles, give the player a choice when the match starts: Decrease friendly countdowns or increase friendly countdowns. He's Legendary. The power should match that status. And perhaps make rank 5 affect 2 countdowns and 2 special, rather than 1 countdown and 2 special. It really should be a noticeably stronger power than Inspiration.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    No...leave him alone <sniff> please don't kill my switch/falcap/antman team. He also pairs with star Lord pretty well.

EDIT: the post above mine gave me an idea. The problem isn't that he reduces CD...the problem is it's random. Give the player the ability to select the CD tiles it reduces and presto he's fixed....and I can still have my treasured pve team
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    The power should improve friendly countdowns, simple as that, it should be aware enough to change them in the correct direction.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's an idea: What if blue instead of reducing a friendly countdown fortified it? That should be a good benefit for both types of countdowns...
  • stewbacca
    stewbacca Posts: 82 Match Maker
    I'm also for chooking the tile, otherwise leave hI'm alone, he's awesome in the prof x/ scarlet witch combo.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    Here's an idea: What if blue instead of reducing a friendly countdown fortified it? That should be a good benefit for both types of countdowns...
    That still doesn't work because some CD tiles you might actually want to remove/destroy before they go off. 4* Deadpool's Countdown for What is the prime example, but there are others as well, like Kate Bishop's black and Winter Soldier's red.
    Ultimately, CD tiles have so many different effects that you'd almost have to make it targeted/selectable for max effectiveness.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    bigsmooth wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    That still doesn't work because some CD tiles you might actually want to remove/destroy before they go off. 4* Deadpool's Countdown for What is the prime example, but there are others as well, like Kate Bishop's black and Winter Soldier's red.
    Ultimately, CD tiles have so many different effects that you'd almost have to make it targeted/selectable for max effectiveness.
    True, I suppose, but those countdowns still aren't benefitting from the current version of Aerial Avenger. It would be a lateral move for them and an improvement for the CDs you want to keep on the board, so it would be a net positive over all.
    But yes, choosing a CD would be better.