PvP is it only for those that have?

like1tiger
like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
With the removal of ccs there has been a barrier put up for 3* rosters who are trying to transition into 4star land. I have a full 3* champed roster but no champed 4*.
I switched to PvP after the pve changes. I have been making steady progress in the last 2 seasons getting the 4* cover and cp every week. It felt good, climb to 800# and look for good targets then q un# and repeat until u hit 1300. It took some iso and all the hp I got from rewards but it was progression. This season it's all changed.. the sim was easy with great rewards but the first PvP I have finished at 699. I tried to climb but with no targets above 40 to hit it takes so lone, I continue to get hit over and over again for 50-70 points from champed 4stars and 5 stars who just eat my boosted 3* Champs before I can finish a fight.
I got to 799 4 times before getting hit down each time. I # at 705 for 3 hours then tried to reclimb, I got to 780 after 2 fights and enter my 3rd to finnaly hit 800 and it updates with my team losing 161 points.. I was out for 10 mins with lvl 316 if champed boosted 3* Storm and im40 or switch or boosted RnG. It's crazy times out there.

I'm sure it's a comon story and who cares... The silly thing is it was done to stop people getting huge score but my t10 are all over 1.8k so that worked well the ppl with high rosters are still doing it easy and now everyone without must sit and watch the gap widen between the guys trying to get into the 4* land and the ones going into 5* by a huge amount and it will get bigger and bigger.

I don't know how someone can get attacked for so many points while they are fighting one or 2 fights. If your whole q is full of guys with a boosted 4* and you only get 35 points if by some miracle you manage to beat them but in that same time u lost 70 points from someone Qing below you how is this fair in anyway? It's extremely frustrating to not B able to hit the 3star reward let alone anything above it.

Sorry for the rant
Carry on

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    In what slices are 5☆ players queueing champ 3☆ players? I want to play there
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    The silly thing is it was done to stop people getting huge score but my t10 are all over 1.8k so that worked well the ppl with high rosters are still doing it easy and now everyone without must sit and watch the gap widen between the guys trying to get into the 4* land and the ones going into 5* by a huge amount and it will get bigger and bigger.

Pretty much yeah. Which is what a lot of the vets said would happen.

As far as the question in your subject: Yes, PvP is for the haves. It always has been. Either you had Sentry or you didn't. Either you had Thorverine or you didn't, etc....

All this change did is make them a bit more vulnerable when they unshield, but they're still only vulnerable to a very small % of the player base. And it's still the first event. It won't be long before they're back in the 3k score range.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I am transitioning and got excited with SCL7 for PVE. THAT would (was/is??) be a great source of 4*'s but now that feature has become MIA, I guess the 4*'s are controlled by RNG?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 3* roster can hit 900 without too much trouble.

I think what you mean is that it's no longer really really really REALLY easy hitting those scores.

You can still progress with your roster you just have to actually play and win decent matches for it now instead of joke ones.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until I lucked into getting a decent OML, it was impossible for me to hit above 700-800 in pvp, no matter how much I spent on shielding. It was a huge pain. The best you could get in progression was.. a 3*?

So you'll probably need to live in that region for a while, until you magically luck into a strong 5*. Enjoy!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, PVP is for the big fishes, it has ALWAYS been like that. Cupcakes masked this a bit, but this is the way of PvP. PvE is where all rosters are equalised (so much that soft capers have always had advantage in PvE)

BUT I think things will improve A LOT for people with 3->4 rosters when SCL8+ are opened. People with 4 and 5 rosters will move there, and people with 3 rosters will start placing much much better and start wining a lot of 4s as placement rewards.

Devs should open higher SCL levels as fast as they can. We are getting just half of the picture now and it is making things much worse for the people in the middle.
  • shusheshe
    shusheshe Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    like1tiger wrote:
    I switched to PvP after the pve changes. I have been making steady progress in the last 2 seasons getting the 4* cover and cp every week. It felt good, climb to 800# and look for good targets then q un# and repeat until u hit 1300. It took some iso and all the hp I got from rewards but it was progression.

Yes, this was pretty much my experience
    Polares wrote:
    Yes, PVP is for the big fishes, it has ALWAYS been like that. Cupcakes masked this a bit, but this is the way of PvP. PvE is where all rosters are equalised (so much that soft capers have always had advantage in PvE)

BUT I think things will improve A LOT for people with 3->4 rosters when SCL8+ are opened. People with 4 and 5 rosters will move there, and people with 3 rosters will start placing much much better and start wining a lot of 4s as placement rewards.

Devs should open higher SCL levels as fast as they can. We are getting just half of the picture now and it is making things much worse for the people in the middle.

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree on this. Opening SL8+ isn't going to improve things for us 4* transitioners. Sure, our ranking might get a bit better but ranking has never been the way to improve your roster, max progression was. Max progression in PVE was what moved my 2* roster to 3* and build my 3* roster. I've never made top-25 in PVE much less top-10 where the 4* rewards were; even under the new system it depends on timing + how much grinding you're willing to do (and I HATE the grind). Max progression in PVP was how I got the 4* roster I have right now.

Under this 'new system' I'm not reaching the 4* progression reward, much less reaching the ranking I need to get that 4* reward from there. I've never hit top 10 rewards in PVP and I never care to; all I want is progression to improve my roster. That's it.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Polares wrote:

It seems on observation that the MMR system "bands" rather dramatically - If your score is below a certain level relative to the scores in your shard (whether that's total points or leader points is unclear afaik), you see seed teams.... Then you see similar rosters by the MMR's calculation, and can be seen by same... Then you see broader selection of rosters, going up.... then when you rise above a certain level, you see broader rosters and teams yet... And then eventually see almost everything that's unshielded.

Which is why, with my roster, and a very good climb and shield hops, I could occasionally skip past Atze Bunny or KingDreadNaut's teams. They're certainly not a "base MMR" matchup for me.

Now, with much lower total points in the shard, the MMR function has much smaller bands to work with, and you might shoot right past the maximum protected score for your roster strength in a single match... and be beaten back down. repeatedly.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:
    In what slices are 5☆ players queueing champ 3☆ players? I want to play there
    I found myself able to Q teams that I never would've been able to see before (or, more accurately, not until I broke 2500, at which point they would only be worth 1 point. But I was hitting 3* teams once I got a bit over 900, and they were worth 30-35 points. I never would've seen them in the old system, and wouldn't hit them now if not for this awful lag... Just trying to get my 1.2k and get out.
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    This change in a way forced me to level my 5*. I brought my SS to lvl 435 to be in line with my lvl 435 PHX. This allowed me to take on some of those champed 5* teams with big points. I also lucked out and got my 13th PHX cover and champed her for the next event. I guess champed 4* teams could technically still do this, but what happens to those weeks that you just don't have good boosted. How are you going to take on 5* champed teams at the top? This format definitely favors the 5* meta even more than it did before.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    With the current Luke Cage PVP, at 575 progression points you earn 10CP. That should help transition significantly. Previously, you hade to get to 1300 progression to get any CP out of it.
  • jobob
    Konman wrote:
    With the current Luke Cage PVP, at 575 progression points you earn 10CP. That should help transition significantly. Previously, you hade to get to 1300 progression to get any CP out of it.
    Yeah, but previously 1300 was about as easy as 575! icon_lol.gif
  • DC1972
    DC1972 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Current Luke Cage PVP; CL7; Slice 3. Still almost two days to go but the top 2 (champed 5* roster) are over 1400 and the next place (champed 4*) is only 850 and shielded already. Most below are shielded as well. Looks like the float points are much lower. Don't think these 4 star rosters will be able to hit 1200 progression without a lot of luck and shield hopping and even though it will be difficult. Once they unshield they will be cannon fodder for 5* rosters. I'd rather fight two lower point matches against 4* rosters with my OML barely taking any damage than slugging it out against a 5* roster. Those two matches may even take less time.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    With the currently available clearance levels, going to 575 progression in CL7 is pretty simple, so getting those 10 CP is all I even plan on doing in PVP.

With the awesome team of champed Luke Cage/ champed Iron Fist/ and under covered ProfX...I got there quick and easy, with over a day left in my slice. 10 CP with relative ease from every PVP, much better than I was doing before.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Yes, PVP is for the big fishes, it has ALWAYS been like that. .

Thst is not necessarily true. I remember a day when OBW and punisher were a dominate combination in PVP!! Patch and Cmags were one of the best offensive teams ever. You could beat a maxed out 3* team with 1* storm!!! Mind you at this time there were no time slices, no shields, no seasons, and the only 4* were IW who was worse than she is now, and XForce who was horrible. Oh and you only had 5 health packs (mind you no one used them because there was only true healing from OBW and Spiderman)!!

Man I have been playing this game for too long.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    Konman wrote:

Not really. 575 feels and is very doable for me. I had never even hit 1000 in the old system.

I play very casual. I have all the 3's champed and have just started really making progress on my 4's.

I now have 2 full covered 4's. Invisible woman and lady Thor. Buster is at 12 covers and I have several others in the 8 to 10 range.

I am kinda bringing as many as I can to a level where they may be able to do their Titan match. But I am also starting to get my few that are max covered or close to it as high as my iso will let me.

With all the recent changes I actually feel like I am moving forward instead of just feeling like I have no hope.

The 575 cp reward is awesome.
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
    575 is very doable but it hasn't always been for the big fishes as I have been in there for the last 3 seasons hitting 1300k every event. that normally gets me t100 but more important it got me a 4 star and 25 cp which is a shot at a 4 star and maybe a 5 star. That's called progression it would cost me 600 hp in shields but it was worth it. I didn't even need to be in a shield room as once I hit 800 I could shield and spend the next hour or so looking for ccs waiting then hitting them then shield repeat. Now its try to find someone with a roster close to yours so u can win 35 points but while u are having that fight 3 champed 4 star teams are eating you for breakfast and ur losing 100 points.
    It was good because all he big fishes were helping out the little fishes and we were actually able to progress and start to close the gap.. It wasn't hurting them and it was helping the 4 Star transitioners so much.
  • jobob
    tiomono wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    Konman wrote:

Not really. 575 feels and is very doable for me. I had never even hit 1000 in the old system.

I play very casual. I have all the 3's champed and have just started really making progress on my 4's.

I now have 2 full covered 4's. Invisible woman and lady Thor. Buster is at 12 covers and I have several others in the 8 to 10 range.

I am kinda bringing as many as I can to a level where they may be able to do their Titan match. But I am also starting to get my few that are max covered or close to it as high as my iso will let me.

With all the recent changes I actually feel like I am moving forward instead of just feeling like I have no hope.

The 575 cp reward is awesome.
    Yeah, that was a joke.

That said, 1300 in the old system is easier than 900 in the new system (so far, at least).