The tokens of Season XXXI

Options
El Satanno
El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello again. It's time for yet another exciting installment of my long-running series of full season token hoards. Yay! (That took a lot of effort right there.)

As is standard, I only list the gold pulls and significant pulls are in bold. Pulls have been consolidated for easier viewing and any anomalies noted.

I've updated my methodology a bit as well this time around. To attempt to maximize the value of my returns, I've worked in the following way: Open everything except LT/CP > get champ rewards > open post-champ tokens > open LT/CP. I actually didn't open any LT this time, either, since the word is that 5ulk and Nata5ha kinda suck. I'll trust the opinion of whales on that front and hold on until some better characters join up with Black Bolt...but I do want Black Bolt. Anyway, on with the show!

The hoard
  • 224 silver tokens
  • 18 Elite tokens
  • 1 Heroic 10-pack
  • 153 mixed gold tokens
  • 557 CP

Note: This is the initial hoard, and not amended for additional tokens/CP accrued after redeeming champ rewards. Those changes are noted later.

The pulls
Silver tokens (224)
Ragnarok (green)
Black Panther (black)
Black Widow (red)
Doctor Doom (blue)
Loki (green) < back to back with Doom
Luke Cage (black)
(32 2* pulls total)

Elite tokens (18)
Black Widow (red)
Storm (green)
Blade (purple) < back to back with Storm
Mystique (black)

Heroic 10-pack (1)
Blade (purple)
Iron Man (red)
Mystique (purple)
Magneto (red)

Heroic gold tokens (70)
Baglady (yellow)
Doctor Doom (blue x2)
Doctor Octopus (blue)
Mystique (black)
Quicksilver (blue, black)
Kamala Khan (purple, green) < purple back to back with Quicksilver blue
Thor (green)
Colossus (black x2) < first black back to back with Thor
Magneto (yellow x2)
Patch (yellow)
Miles Morales (yellow)
Blade (black)
Punisher (green)
Storm (black) < back to back with Punisher
Rocket & Groot (blue)
Daredevil (blue)
Cyclops (red) < drawn three in-a-row with second Colossus black and Daredevil
Beast (blue)

Heroic gold tokens (14, post-champ rewards)
Thor (yellow)
Human Torch (green)
Patch (yellow)

Red Room (3)
Not Really a Loser Anymore Hulk (black)
Ghost Rider (red)
Peggy Carter (red)

Divine Champions (3)
Miles Morales (yellow)

Fly-Fight-Win (3)
Blade (black)

Magnetic Mayhem (3)
The No-Futzer (black)
Patch (green)

God of Lies (3)
Punisher (green)

Lord of Thunder (3)
Patch (red)

Unholy Outlaw (3)
Wolverine (X-Force) (yellow)

Krakadoom! (3)
Thor (yellow)

Oscorp: Heroic (6, vault)
Beast (green)
War Machine (blue)
Legendary Token

Iso-8 Brotherhood (9, vault)
She-Hulk (green)
Storm (yellow)

Team Cap (5, vault)
Legendary Token

The Gauntlet (3, vault)
Punisher (green)

Deadpool Vs. MPQ (6, vault)
Doctor Octopus (blue)
Scarlet Witch (purple)

Team Iron Man (6, vault)
Bullseye (black)

Hearts of Darkness (11, vault)
Blade (purple)
Luke Cage (red)
Human Torch (red)

Command Points (600 after champ rewards = 30 pulls)
Iceman (purple)
Thing (yellow)
Spider-Woman (red, purple)
Ghost Rider (red)
Nova (black, red)
Nick Fury (yellow)
Rulk (red x2)
Venom (green, black)
Phoenix (green)
Iron Man 46 (blue) < back to back with Phoenix
Spider-Man (blue)
Carnage (red)
Star-Turd (yellow, purple) < back to back with each other
Spider-Gwen (red x2)
Quake (blue)
Captain America (yellow)
Moon Knight (purple)
Professor X (yellow)
Wolverine (X-Force) (yellow)
Jean Grey (purple)
Peggy Carter (red)
Baglady (blue)
Wasp (yellow)
Mr. Sucktastic (blue)

The following events yielded no gold pulls:
Eye for an Eye (3)
Hotshot (3)
Balance of Oh-God-This-Event-Is-Torture (3)
Welcome to My Parlor (3)
Civil War (1, vault)

Total Iso from cover sales, champ rewards, and 2* farm: 197,350
5* pull rate from CP: 13.3%

Observations and (purely subjective) conclusions:
  1. Game lag is very pronounced when opening all these tokens at once. I don't actually experience noticeable lag when playing, but that black screen became very lengthy when going through so many of the same animations.
  2. Unlike last season, my silver tokens paid out acceptably. The same goes for the new and inappropriately named Elite tokens. It's fun to open a new type of token, though...even if it is a gross misnomer of somewhat dubious value.
  3. In case you didn't notice, I find Balance of Power to be a horrible, torturous ordeal. It's a shame, too, because it's perhaps the only opportunity we get to make proper use of the broad range of characters at our disposal. But between the ludicrous health totals (why the hell does a **** seed team have a quarter million health between them!?) and losing hundreds of points over the course of a single match, it couldn't have ended any sooner. On a related note, with the death of cake there is already a lot of buzz that Versus in general will resemble BoP before long. If that does turn out to be the case, that might just be what drives me to quit playing. Not. Fun.
  4. There are a lot of returning guests on that big ol' list up there. Doom, Mystique, Magneto...plenty of villains popping up more than once. Weird. What's not weird is the streakiness of the system showing up again. Multiples of several characters while many others fail to show up at all.
  5. At my stage of roster development, it's really only the 5* pulls that make a difference. Even so, pulling a sixth Peggy red hurt. Hell, I almost considered saving 120CP to buy another cover for her just to not waste it! Can you believe such a thing?! The aforementioned BoP really highlighted just how broken-as-hell she is. That yellow is stupid OP. I wiped to Peggy teams more reliably than any other during that ungodly affair and it had exactly zero to do with her red or blue.

Finally, a little change to my usual closing statements...

Surfer got his facelift, and from what I hear he's pretty good now. Still not dethroning Logan any time soon, but now not an Iso void. I'm actually slowly building him up. Thank goodness 5* Cap sucks! And so does 5ulk! And Widow! I can still bang my drum! Yes, I'm leaning very heavily on other people's opinions, but the point remains crystal clear: Under no circumstances whatsoever should any player be anything less than thrilled to pull a usable 5* cover. Anything less is unacceptable.

It is still unacceptable that any character at the 4* level be so bad to cause discontent. Recent changes have certainly made me more optimistic; between CL handing out more covers, more avenues for Iso, and the start of regular rebuilds for characters. Not ready to throw this complaint into the fire yet, though!

That's it! See you again after season XXXII!

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unrelated to the hoard, which is entertaining as usual. Not sure if you already knew this, but don't use your 5*s in BOP. That's the one event where 4*s really shine. I had fun and that included fighting teams with Peggy, MK and im40, and that didn't really cause any grief. Wiped twice the whole event, once because I forgot to heal and once because of insane ai cascades.

One way to handle her reliably is to build ap as usual and bring a stun tu, because she doesn't affect tu costs. Then boom! You win!
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unrelated to the hoard, which is entertaining as usual. Not sure if you already knew this, but don't use your 5*s in BOP. That's the one event where 4*s really shine. I had fun and that included fighting teams with Peggy, MK and im40, and that didn't really cause any grief. Wiped twice the whole event, once because I forgot to heal and once because of insane ai cascades.

One way to handle her reliably is to build ap as usual and bring a stun tu, because she doesn't affect tu costs. Then boom! You win!

Agreed that 4* were the showstoppers in BoP. I actually knew that going in, although Logan still performs admirably thanks to his heal and his ridiculous strike tiles. I was rather surprised at how bad Phoenix was, though! No, I ran mostly IM40 and Creepy Bobby, with a couple different thirds along for the ride; frequently Logan, sometimes 4 Cyke, 40r, or even Kingpin. None of them really performed to my satisfaction against Peggy's OP ****. Maybe it was just bum luck, although it was an awful lot of that if so... Anyway, screw BoP.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    Agreed that 4* were the showstoppers in BoP. I actually knew that going in, although Logan still performs admirably thanks to his heal and his ridiculous strike tiles. I was rather surprised at how bad Phoenix was, though! No, I ran mostly IM40 and Creepy Bobby, with a couple different thirds along for the ride; frequently Logan, sometimes 4 Cyke, 40r, or even Kingpin. None of them really performed to my satisfaction against Peggy's OP ****. Maybe it was just bum luck, although it was an awful lot of that if so... Anyway, screw BoP.

It's interesting actually. I find that Phx isn't a powerhouse as far as attacks go even outside of BOP - I never use her green, and there's always a risk of losing the revive tile.

Her real value lies in the crazy cascades she can rack up when you hoard purple and put up a few strikes. Facing a 5-purple BSS? Stick someone with high red match dmg in, pop a few crits, watch poor Emo Spidey swoon from the unfairness of it all and then laugh as every one else runs away screaming from the megastrikes left after BSS exits stage left. Even easier when BSS is not in the picture. So she worked fine for me in the early climb with 4pun/OML.

But bring a sting for Peggy. That's all. The only reason she's an issue in BOP is because of insane health levels at 550, or most single nukes or simple 5* match dmg will take her yellow out of the picture in short order under normal circumstances.