MMR in Fist Bump

AtlasAxe
AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I know MMR is supposed to be the same in Fist Bump, but I'm seeing stuff that is way out of whack. For example, for a good amount of time, I had only one Q available to me worth more than 38 points. I was only in the 700s, have a pretty run-of-the-mill 4*/early 5* roster, and I know there were plenty of others above me and unshielded.

Anyone else seeing this sort of craziness?

Comments

• Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Yeah it happened to me. It's because the space between scores is smaller, I think. I just bit the bullet and sprinted through a bunch of 30-ish point matches, and collected the occasional 50 point node when it came around.

Bracketing also got adjusted a bit when you consider the circumstances. I'm assuming you're in CL7, but realize that many people (under the impression that the 15cp end reward was intentional) went into CL6 instead, so the CL7 top end brackets are also considerably smaller it seems, with fewer juggernauts than usual in a lot of them.
  • AtlasAxe
    AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Yeah, I'm CL7. They stated that even with different CLs, we were supposed to be facing the same opponents (CL was not supposed to restrict visibility). I never had so much trouble finding Qs to get to 8/900, and I've done it plenty of times without touching a CC. The range of what's available in terms of teams and points seems severely restricted.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Atlas Axe wrote:
    Yeah, I'm CL7. They stated that even with different CLs, we were supposed to be facing the same opponents (CL was not supposed to restrict visibility). I never had so much trouble finding Qs to get to 8/900, and I've done it plenty of times without touching a CC. The range of what's available in terms of teams and points seems severely restricted.
    It's possible you're just in a bad bracket.

Give it some time (assuming you have time) and worst come to just eat your way through like 7 teams and grab your 4* cover.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    That is a direct effect of killing cupcakes. No cupcakes means less points for everybody. Even the low level whiners who complained about baking being cheating. I only got anywhere because of Godess being boosted. Only in the first hour of my slice did I see a match worth over 40 points. Shielded now at 900 points in 23rd place with about 7 hours to go. Hope it holds and I get 3 cage covers.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mmr is probably the same. But the pool of available targets is very different. Hence different results.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    You Q over all CL, but MMR has been made much much more tight.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm seeing a lot of duplicate queues as well, though over a moderate range of rosters from 5*+4* and unmaxed 5* to fully champed 5*s, but after a point I would keep seeing the same team in the node I just cleared and have to check my pvp drops to see if I did actually hit them.

It's been hell constantly skipping past people I already tapped once. Almost tempted to poke the happy 500+ 5* teams floating just to have something different to do... but I do want those luke covers.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Guy above is incorrect. For the thousandth time, bracket has nothing to do with MMR.

What you are seeing is clogged queues. 700-900 depending on shard and time left is where 4* players would normally break out of MMR and get fed points from 5* players but this isn't happening anymore due to several reasons.

Low end and top end of scores are much more squished which means there's more players with similar rosters at a given score so its harder to break out of MMR.
    Even if you break out, the queues given from above are either now too hard to beat or take too long to beat so you get attacked and get pushed back into the clog.
    Players with your roster have nowhere to go. They can't shoot up in points and get out of the way anymore so less people are willing to shield. Even more players like you start to gather at that point level.
    As the event goes on, 5* players continue to drift out of reach while you and your buddies are left behind with nothing to eat.

This is what happens when the trickle down effect gets cut off. Theres a whole tier of players above you in the same playing field as you, but can no longer interact with them. 4* players and 5* are segregated. 4* players are going to have to start generating points on their own... but how to do that effectively without getting totally **** stomped? I guess you could try building a network of players to gather and share points through teamwork. No, wait, that's colluding and cheating.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I gave up and shielded out just below 1K. In the time it takes to do two matches for 35ish points, I get hit for 60+. Don't really care at this point about placement even.

As someone that didn't use LINE for baking and such, I had fun in the old system. Enjoy the climb to cake range fighting a variety of teams that actually gave points. Then it came down to hop time. Can I get out and back under shield before the hits roll in because I wasn't in a BC. I actually spent less ISO looking for cakes than I did in this event looking for A) a team I could actually win against B) was worth points.

I just wish they would decouple the progression goal from placement goal. So you could in theory just grind out your placement rewards (Like PVP...err Story events). If someone cares about their placement let them use shields to protect their placement score.