Champ more threes or move on?

RogueZeroOne
RogueZeroOne Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
edited September 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hello MPQers,

Could I get some roster advice please?
I have 23 3* champs and the rest are mostly fully covered. Should I champ them all, or save the ISO and move on?
Not champed:
Torch, Doc Ock
Mystique, Rags
Hood, Punisher
Hulk, Colossus
Psylocke, Captain M
Doom, Bullseye
Squirrel Girl, Sentry

I have all the 4* with at least one cover and every LT and and the majority of the CP that I ever earned.
Thanks
RZ1

Comments

• Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Three star characters lose value once you get one of the main-stay 4*s, however...

That being said, with the changes that are happening, it might be valuable to keep them handy. Each one you champ is another 4*/5* token in the pocket, and them allowing you to farm 4*s out of them is great. Plan out which 4* you plan to use and focus iso into characters that give that cover.

If you have a viable top-tier or upper-mid tier 4* that you could invest the iso into and get to at least level 200 or so, then that takes priority. Otherwise, there isn't much value in leveling a Jean Grey at 1/2/1 to level 94.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Every 3* champion is an extra set of rewards that you get to add with no wasted covers. The 3* rewards are pretty solid, and they slowly help fuel the 4* transition.

I'm in the 3-4* transition with 2 champ 4*s, and I have several 4*s getting into the 9-12 cover range now. After the SHIELD rank ISO, I chose to champ all of my remaining 3*s (except Psylocke who still needs 2 covers). I don't regret it one bit.

No cover goes to waste. Finishing DDQ no longer contains the emptiness of selling yet another cover for 500 ISO. Getting a decent rank in any event feels much more worthwhile. It's great.

Unless you have a truly compelling reason to spend your ISO somewhere else such as having Iceman, Rulk, etc. ready to champ out of the 4*s, there is no reason really to stop champing your 3*s.

The only 3*s I don't use even when they're boosted are characters like Sentry or Spider-Man. There is almost always a non-self-damaging, better damage dealer that is boosted at the same time, but even still, all 3*s have their uses (except maybe Sentry - he's pretty useless imo).
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    As others said, until you have near max cover 4 stars that are good, don't bother leveling 4 stars yet. When you do champion your remaining 3 stars, I suggest you being patient and not opening your legendary tokens. If you can hold off until you have around 40 legendary tokens in latest, you might get a usable enough 5 star to somewhat skip the 4 star transition.
  • RogueZeroOne
    Thanks for the advice.
    I will tentatively plan to champ the rest of the threes (though the though of spending any iso on Sentry makes my teeth hurt!).
    Punisher is next.
    I have six covers about to expire.

RZ1
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did all my 3*s before moving onto the 4*s and I'm actually quite glad I did. I'm earning quite a lot of ISO this way from the champion rewards on the 3's. As long as you have the patience, I think its the best way to go to ensure you get the maximum ISO out of the game which you are really going to need when you start maxing 4*s.
  • Blahahah
    Thanks for the advice.
    I will tentatively plan to champ the rest of the threes (though the though of spending any iso on Sentry makes my teeth hurt!).
    Punisher is next.
    I have six covers about to expire.

RZ1
    Look on the bright side, Sentry is a character that D3G probably has in their change crosshairs.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champ them all. I resisted for a long time, but I've since gotten up to 32 champed 3*s - the extra flow of HP, CP and tokens, plus not having to "waste" 3* covers by selling, is totally worth it. Plus, if you don't have your 4s fully covered yet, the extra covers at lvl 183 can help you on your way.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I would have to suggest champing everybody as well. I finally finished all of my 3's about 3 months ago by focusing all my effort and iso into those I have stayed competitive (top 100 in pve and pve) but because I have no monsters in my roster the scaling does not get all screwed up which a common complainant from people who have not maxed all their 3's. Also it adds more flexibility to events since the 3's are the most commonly buffed characters. Finally once they are champed you get all the extra cover bonuses which alone is typically worth 2-5K depending on how much you play and what your packs look like. Now having said that if you have a top 5 4 that is totally slotted and ready to level I might put the 3's aside for that card but if they are not maxed out just wait.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Blahahah wrote:
    Three star characters lose value once you get one of the main-stay 4*s, however...

That being said, with the changes that are happening, it might be valuable to keep them handy. Each one you champ is another 4*/5* token in the pocket, and them allowing you to farm 4*s out of them is great. Plan out which 4* you plan to use and focus iso into characters that give that cover.

If you have a viable top-tier or upper-mid tier 4* that you could invest the iso into and get to at least level 200 or so, then that takes priority. Otherwise, there isn't much value in leveling a Jean Grey at 1/2/1 to level 94.

I might add "unless leveling your low-cover character to 94 will allow you to win their Crash."
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah wrote:

I might add "unless leveling your low-cover character to 94 will allow you to win their Crash."

Actually I specifically chose 1/2/1 Jean because she can't win clash with that set-up.
  • monsieurmojo
    Blahahah wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Actually I specifically chose 1/2/1 Jean because she can't win clash with that set-up.

Man, that is so true. I think mine was 3/5/1 131 or so, and had no shot.
  • WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Champ your 3*'s hand down. I have no regrets about doing it. Between that at an 2* farm every cover has value (except for stupid 1*s) and the rewards pile up quickly.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    If you are playing MPQ a year from now then investing in champs is well worth it. The longer you plan on playing, the better champs become and when they brought up the price for selling them when maxed out it became a no-brainer IMO.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just finished championing my last 3* the other day. Definitely do it. It means all those covers from deadpool daily are no longer simply sold for iso. Also means you will have a slightly stronger team in pvp compared to those using loaners etc. It all adds up, little by little.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    In addition to what other people have mentioned about champion rewards, a featured-buffed 3* gets pushed well over 300 where their numbers start improving significantly. If you are just getting started with your 4*s, it will be a LONG while before any of them has more power than a featured championed 3*, even when buffed. In the meantime, as your champions go over level 200, they get to the point where even the smaller weekly buff takes them over 300 and they become an asset as well.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    To begin with, I would strongly recommend championing all the chars that benefit from cycling 2* (from your list, Hulk, Captain Marvel, HTorch, Bullseye and Ragnarok). Get couple spare roster slots and set a 2* farm, you will notice a nice flow of covers for those 3*.
    I have all the 4* with at least one cover and every LT and and the majority of the CP that I ever earned.
    If you have all 4* rostered why are you hoarding your LT and CP? How many tokens/points do you have?
  • RogueZeroOne
    That is a fair question. Early on it was because I didn't want to accidentally pull any 5* and screw up my scaling. Lately it is because I didn't know what to do with what I pulled.
    Now I that I have a plan, I guess I can have a token party. 55 LTs 720 CP. By 2* farm I assume you mean leveling a 2* all the way through, sell, lather, rinse, repeat?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

RZ1.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, for farming 2* i mean topping them to 144 and selling them for the 65k ISO and 100 HP.
    Doing that, each cycle COSTS you 7.775 ISO , but your net gain is 375 HP, 5 CP, 5 Hc Tokens and 3 specific 3* covers. For me, it is a magnific deal.

Please let me take my advice back icon_e_confused.gif I checked your roster link and you have a delicate situation; your 4* are really low, and new 5* would put you in a bad position. If the game consider the 3 highest characters your BBanner is already raising your level from 180 to 206; another 5* would put you in 231, and a third in 255...
    I loathe this side of the game, when you fear progressing because it can wreck your difficulty.

As several people have commented, championing more 3* is good in long term because you get much more from every single cover, but it will not help you much to develop your current 4*. If you want to expand, sooner or later you will have to give a step towards 4* land, and IMHO it is not a bad moment for you.

If I were you I would not spend ISO on 3* now; I'd start carefully spending tokens and CP (in classic, 20 CP covers, of course!). With 90 shots you are bound to draw a handful of 5* and depending of the 4* you get you will have mainly 2 options:
    1) Raise some decent 4* to at least 220-250 so you can deal with the new scaling caused by the 5*. Your IM40 is an awesome partner for Cyclops and Peggy (Iceman and Thoress too, but you dont have them), maybe you could focus on those. Think that you will need LOADS of ISO for this; for example it would take around 175K to raise your Cyclops to lvl220. I guess you would need 300K ISO at the very least to make this jump.
    2) Sell 5* and keep just a couple to get scaling under control. (Gulp! I think I would never to this; but then I would never be able to save 50 tokens as you did!!).

Of course consider your gameplay and expectations; the game does not have a one an only objetive, you may want to enjoy just finishing your 3* roster. With more 4* you will get more Deadpool weekly 4* covers, and will have better chances to get the PvP 900 progression prizes, but of course you will get more difficult fights.

I'm exhausted, hadnt written so much in ages ><. Please keep us posted, you have interesting decisions ahead icon_e_smile.gif
  • Blahahah
    I'd pop your tokens and just hold any 5*s you get for as long as possible. Given your numbers you put out there in terms of your hp/cp, you should be able to at least decently cover one or two 4*s that have some kind of synergy. Once they get to about level 200 (which is a pittance in iso, about as much as a 3* from base to max) then putting some 5*s wont affect scaling as much.
  • monsieurmojo
    Wolarsen wrote:
    Yes, for farming 2* i mean topping them to 144 and selling them for the 65k ISO and 100 HP.
    Doing that, each cycle COSTS you 7.775 ISO , but your net gain is 375 HP, 5 CP, 5 Hc Tokens and 3 specific 3* covers. For me, it is a magnific deal.

Please let me take my advice back icon_e_confused.gif I checked your roster link and you have a delicate situation; your 4* are really low, and new 5* would put you in a bad position. If the game consider the 3 highest characters your BBanner is already raising your level from 180 to 206; another 5* would put you in 231, and a third in 255...
    I loathe this side of the game, when you fear progressing because it can wreck your difficulty.

As several people have commented, championing more 3* is good in long term because you get much more from every single cover, but it will not help you much to develop your current 4*. If you want to expand, sooner or later you will have to give a step towards 4* land, and IMHO it is not a bad moment for you.

If I were you I would not spend ISO on 3* now; I'd start carefully spending tokens and CP (in classic, 20 CP covers, of course!). With 90 shots you are bound to draw a handful of 5* and depending of the 4* you get you will have mainly 2 options:
    1) Raise some decent 4* to at least 220-250 so you can deal with the new scaling caused by the 5*. Your IM40 is an awesome partner for Cyclops and Peggy (Iceman and Thoress too, but you dont have them), maybe you could focus on those. Think that you will need LOADS of ISO for this; for example it would take around 175K to raise your Cyclops to lvl220. I guess you would need 300K ISO at the very least to make this jump.
    2) Sell 5* and keep just a couple to get scaling under control. (Gulp! I think I would never to this; but then I would never be able to save 50 tokens as you did!!).

Of course consider your gameplay and expectations; the game does not have a one an only objetive, you may want to enjoy just finishing your 3* roster. With more 4* you will get more Deadpool weekly 4* covers, and will have better chances to get the PvP 900 progression prizes, but of course you will get more difficult fights.

I'm exhausted, hadnt written so much in ages ><. Please keep us posted, you have interesting decisions ahead icon_e_smile.gif

I'm in a similar position to this, but there's another bonus to having a ton of championed 3* characters: they mask your 5*. At 25 champions, at least a few of them are boosted every week, and any 5* you choose to roster will be hidden amongst the boosts. No biggie.