Platinum deck in silver tier?

Options
MaxMagic420
MaxMagic420 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm silver tier, playing one of the events. I get matched a lvl 60 kiora against my lvl 60 ajani. Okay, cool.
I don't draw a creature in my opening hand, next three draws are the same cards I started with, so I probably would have lost anyway. **** draw clumping, I hate it so much. But I digress.
Sixth turn, AI gets a massive cascade and this is what comes out, more or less in this order:
Sphinx of the final word.
Mirrorpool.
Hangarback Walker.
Spy network.
Bring to light--ulvenwald Hydra.
Days undoing.
Seasons past.

Next turn, with a hexproof 40/40-ish Hydra and a hexproof 16/16 Walker, I of course die horribly.

My question is, how is it even possible that someone has an essentially all mythic deck in silver tier, and all those specific kiora-favorite cards? How do you run an all mythic deck with a lvl 60 without attaining color mastery? To get that many mythics, they would absolutely have to have acquired a LOT of cards, and I find it difficult to believe they haven't mastered enough cards to hit gold tier.
Is there an explanation I haven't thought of yet? I'd sure be interested in anybody's take on this.

Comments

• Shadow-Mage
    Shadow-Mage Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've only just reached gold tier today and have some very potent rare/mythic filled decks. The reason this occurs is if the player doesn't trade out cards. This will cause them to stall out when it comes to tiers regardless of how good their deck is.

Sorry you met up with that kind of cascade but it's happened to me as well.
  • JanksMcJank
    JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    I would guess they aquired a lot of cards, but didn't master them. Just kept using the same deck of mastered cards.
  • SlycerX
    Options
    It does seem very unlikely that they haven't hit gold tier yet, but like Janks said, he probably just kept to the same pool of cards and never mastered too many different ones. He might very well be on the verge of hitting gold tier but is holding back so he can stay in silver *shrug*

I would be pretty annoyed to see that as well though so I get it...
  • warcin
    warcin Posts: 118
    Options
    It would be very easy. If they only play those 10 cards they are never going to master enough to move up the ranks. Unfortunately that is probably a very strong strategy since then you are much more likely to only ever see easier decks, making it easier to score higher in the event. Yes the rewards are a bit better in the higher tiers but not that much better.
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    But then the next question would be: how much money have they spent to get all of those mythics?!? Sheesh!
  • MaxMagic420
    MaxMagic420 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah, you're all probably right. I was afraid to tinker with ajani's deck for a long time before I pulled a few good rare/mythics.
    On a side note, I happened to play that deck again in QB and stomped it with my saheeli thopter brigade and triple reinforced dust stalker. Good drop first two turns and just was fortunate to pull off the speedy win before the Hydra ripped me a new one. Still satisfying however!
  • mmraie
    mmraie Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    it's a competitive whale that sharks in the lower tiers. it's a common thing. unpleasant, but common
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    But then the next question would be: how much money have they spent to get all of those mythics?!? Sheesh!

I've spent $0 and have 7 out of the 8 cards mentioned.
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:

I've spent $0 and have 7 out of the 8 cards mentioned.

Well then, that's just lucky. I'm F2P as well, I've got 6 total mythics, 3 of which are actually useful... From that list, I've got Mirrorpool.
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    To make it to gold tier I had to actively try to master extra cards I wouldn't normally put in decks. Mastery didn't start until recently, my collection had grown past using many of the commons and uncommons that have better counterparts in the rare and mythic range. If you aren't actively trying to tier up then you could easily be in silver still with heavy mythic/rare decks.