How does MMR work in SCL PvP, again?

Astralgazer
Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I was pushing for 800 in the Fist Bump event. Using SCL 5 because I don't wanna compete with 4* rosters with my 3* roster. Just one more win to hit 800. And after that win my score was 700. I got hit by a slew of 4* teams. One sticks out in particular because it is a team of championed (IMHB+Teen Jean) and the retal would worth 50 points. A retal worth that much should mean that he is way above me in the progression table. But I was in the top 10, and he is nowhere to be found.

That would mean that the MMR has let me be discovered by people fighting in SCLs above me. Is it true that the MMR disregards SCL and just let everyone finds everyone else in the same time slice, regardless of the SCL they apply to?

Weird.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    MMR is the same no matter what SCL you choose.
  • Astralgazer
    So the SCL system still does nothing to help weaker roster to gain both from progression and placement. Because my score still can be ruined by strong rosters from higher SCL.

I had high hopes for this new SCL system. But I guess I will have to wait for D3 to tweak it further, especially in MMR department.

icon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gif
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    This was posted as part of the launch of SCL - not exactly something you can complain about if it's working as intended and you just didn't bother to read up on it
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Astralgazer, even if MMR was somehow changed (which as announced from the start, wasn't), there's still multiple brackets per time shard. You can't see everyone in your shard.
  • Astralgazer
    Yeah, I guess 800 is still not for me. But at least 725 is now attainable. That is a big improvement from the last season where I do well only in SHIELD Sim, in events I could only hit 500 before getting clubbed back to 200.
  • As stated by others, MMR and SCL are unrelated and thus working as intended. SCL should theoretically help you in terms of placement since your leaderboard should only consist of people in same SCL(your so called weak rosters).

Unfortunately, there was some problem at the start of this event where progression prizes were previewed as 15CP even at SCL7. There's a good chance that those with better rosters than you chose lower SCL to get better placement rewards too.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I guess 800 is still not for me. But at least 725 is now attainable. That is a big improvement from the last season where I do well only in SHIELD Sim, in events I could only hit 500 before getting clubbed back to 200.

Plenty of time left in the event. the whales really haven't started to play yet.
  • Astralgazer
    Huatimus wrote:
    As stated by others, MMR and SCL are unrelated and thus working as intended. SCL should theoretically help you in terms of placement since your leaderboard should only consist of people in same SCL(your so called weak rosters).

Unfortunately, there was some problem at the start of this event where progression prizes were previewed as 15CP even at SCL7. There's a good chance that those with better rosters than you chose lower SCL to get better placement rewards too.

Nah. It doesn't help with placement, either. Because I'm hit by people from higher SCL. I'm pretty sure because they're nowhere to be seen in my placement table. So I'm definitely not screwed by people in my own SCL, but higher. Out of 300 points I lost from attacks, I count only 75 lost to people with similar roster to mine; the rest are to championed IMHB, 4hor, XFW or Teen Jean. And none from my own SCL.

So, the new PVP is only about killing cupcakes. The SCL does give an illusion of giving better experience for weaker rosters, but in reality it is nowhere near. I did get to 725, though. I'll take home what I can get.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Huatimus wrote:
    As stated by others, MMR and SCL are unrelated and thus working as intended. SCL should theoretically help you in terms of placement since your leaderboard should only consist of people in same SCL(your so called weak rosters).

Nah. It doesn't help with placement, either. Because I'm hit by people from higher SCL. I'm pretty sure because they're nowhere to be seen in my placement table. So I'm definitely not screwed by people in my own SCL, but higher. Out of 300 points I lost from attacks, I count only 75 lost to people with similar roster to mine; the rest are to championed IMHB, 4hor, XFW or Teen Jean. And none from my own SCL.

So, the new PVP is only about killing cupcakes. The SCL does give an illusion of giving better experience for weaker rosters, but in reality it is nowhere near. I did get to 725, though. I'll take home what I can get.

I made progression yesterday on the sim and I'm getting crushed repeatedly as well. The difference is that each defeat is only taking around 18 points max so I can keep my score up just by doing a few 40+ point matches. With the old way I would have given up by now as my points would be around 0 by now.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nah. It doesn't help with placement, either. Because I'm hit by people from higher SCL. I'm pretty sure because they're nowhere to be seen in my placement table. So I'm definitely not screwed by people in my own SCL, but higher.

Yes, that's exactly the point. The people who are beating up on you and racking up tons of points aren't in your placement bracket, so they're not hogging the top spaces.
  • I don't get the logic of how the PvP CL reward structure was set up. The progression rewards for lower level don't make sense. They still cap out at 1200 points, but because MMR ignores CL, players in those lowers levels will have absolutely no shot to reach those progressions (which result in lesser rewards for higher progressions). So sure it helps lower level players place more easily, but that's not really where a majority of your rewards are earned in PvP. The progression ladder at the lower levels is actually far worse for those players.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    OXHK590 wrote:
    I don't get the logic of how the PvP CL reward structure was set up. The progression rewards for lower level don't make sense. They still cap out at 1200 points, but because MMR ignores CL, players in those lowers levels will have absolutely no shot to reach those progressions (which result in lesser rewards for higher progressions). So sure it helps lower level players place more easily, but that's not really where a majority of your rewards are earned in PvP. The progression ladder at the lower levels is actually far worse for those players.

They probably don't have enough history on how rosters will perform without CCs. many 3* rosters were easily hitting 1300 so I assume they made 1 progression ladder and will look to see the high low score for each clearance level. I think your right that a SCL 1 roster isn't getting to 1200, but objectively speaking they wouldn't know where to set the progression until they get a few events worth of data.