Point loss difference between Sim and Versus

Daiches
Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is anyone else seeing a difference in how many points are lost in a match between Sim and Versus? It seems the reduced points loss was introduced in Sim, but not in Fist PVP. I'm losing the exact same amount of points for a loss in Fist PVP as before while a similar point spread hit in Sim yields half the pints loss.

Comments

• adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    I haven't gone high enough to be hit in fist bump yet, but sim is def different. I got 800 in the first day and any hits I've taken since then have only been for 19 or so points
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Definitely true. I was at 700 something. Got hit by someone 697. Lost 26 points. We both close in progression table, so I wonder why I lost 26 points. I wouldn't worth that much to him, either, I would like to think.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sim was always different.

PvP used to be based on 1k (above 1k you lose full points, below that, a fraction based on your score). Sim was based on more than that. I think on 2k, but don't remember 100%

PvP now seems to be based on 1100, which is marginal difference, which is why the losses 'feel' the same.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sim was always different.

PvP used to be based on 1k (above 1k you lose full points, below that, a fraction based on your score). Sim was based on more than that. I think on 2k, but don't remember 100%

PvP now seems to be based on 1100, which is marginal difference, which is why the losses 'feel' the same.

If they say they reduced the losses, but then didn't.. Why do you call that?

Also you are wrong about the previous full point loss Treshold. That was at 800.

If Treshold for sim used to be closer to 2k under old system, I should be seeing full points losses in Sim at what 600 or so? But that's not what we are seeing.

Hence Sim and PVP are vastly different.

Any red name want to step in and clarify?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches wrote:

Also you are wrong about the previous full point loss Treshold. That was at 800.

If Treshold for sim used to be closer to 2k under old system, I should be seeing full points losses in Sim at what 600 or so? But that's not what we are seeing.

Hence Sim and PVP are vastly different.

Any red name want to step in and clarify?

It used to be 800 way back when. They changed it to 1000 at the same time they changed the way defensive wins were calculated. Here's the announcement (bold emphasis mine): viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30142
    Q: Can you give us the complete algorithm for figuring out how many points you’ll lose or gain?
    A: The scoring system is based on the Elo rating system, but the formula for that is too complex to put here without mathematical notation. Check Wikipedia if you’re interested. But the algorithm goes something like this:
    Start with the points change given by the Elo rating system, with a k-value of 75.
    If the loser’s score is <=1000, multiply their loss by (their score / 1000).
    If the winner was the defender, divide their gain by 3.
    Round the result.

They changed it to 1100 now. Every hit I've calculated (my own and others) has been correct using that algorithm with 1100 replacing 1000. That's your change.

As far as Sim, my hypothesis is they didn't adjust that algorithm. So even though top progression is 800, it's still basing losses on your score compared to 2k (or whatever the typical season number is). Which is why at 600 they look like ~30% of what they should be.

I haven't run Sim yet to test that for sure, but I'm fairly confident that's it.