Would tiered shields work?

zeeke
zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm just thinking out loud here but firethorne describes the problem with current PVP very well here so I won't repeat it. Personally I think shields are here to stay because its one of the few things players can burn that HP on but I have a suggestion I'd like your input on:

What if shields just put a bottom of your current score for the duration of the shield?

Let me explain that, right now when you #, you are taken out of the rotation and your score is locked in. Also you can not fight anyone else. What if, instead of that a shield just put a bottom in but kept you in the rotation and let you keep attacking. So lets say you push to 1k and put a 3h shield in. For the following 180 minutes you could still attack and try for the 1200 score and if someone attacks you, you'd still loose points, but only down to that 1k. When the shield timer reach 0 your "score protection" disappears unless you reshield .

I think this would have the following benefits compared to today's system:

1: Lots for more targets to hit for everyone
2: We could see more team diversity as people could "play around" without the fear of seeing that dreadful -300p screen after a successful match
3: Easier progression for lower powered rosters. While "protected" they could still give it a go and try to attack a strong team without the downside of going bankrupt if they fail.

Thoughts?
/z

Comments

• Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    The problem with shields that lets you get discovered and rehit is that people still just coordinate outside the game to boost each other's scores by hitting the other while they are shielded. This already happens to an extent with the current system but with that kind of shield it would be worse.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    This would also mean that when your shield drops, you might already be queued (or in the process of being hit) by lots of people. No "safe" time.

It would also mean that there are always targets to hit in your MMR, which can be both bad and good.

It would mean that, to climb, you only need to find one good target, and just keep hitting them repeatedly. Again, both good and bad potential for that.

It would certainly make it way, way easier for late climbers to get into the top-5, and heavily discourage front-running. That would end up taking a lot of points out of the shard.

Plus, put your tinykitty phone down when you're shielded. Let's not make the game encourage even more obsessiveness.