The biggest standing issue

Meander
Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
In my opinion, what truly is the biggest remaining threat to the game is 5* covers. Specifically receiving duplicate covers for an uncovered toon. Currently I have a 5/5/2 Phoenix and I just drew another purple cover. I tried in vain to appeal to the good nature of CS (HAH!), but was denied a request to change the color to red. So now I'm left with 4 awful choices

1) Sell it, buck up, and save for the 720 cp cover buy. Smile as you flush 36 classic draws down the toilet for a guaranteed cover.
2) Sell it, act like this never happened, and pray the next time you see a icon_jeangrey.png appear over a purple draw, that it's in the correct color, lest it drive you to 'Nam flashbacks over the last time that occured.
3) Roster the dupe, knowing full well that even if you get more dupes, it's not worth pumping ISO into another Phoenix.
4) Open everything I can as the cover expires praying that I open the right cover, and ignoring the fact that I have like a .3% chance to draw it. This will no doubt be in vain, and will ultimately lead to 1-3.

In my opinion, this is only an issue with 5*, as there is no other way to obtain them. I currently have a Nova and Gwen cover sitting in my Queue under the same scenario, but I don't care because 1) 4* are mostly irrelevant and 2) I know I'll be able to pick up their needed covers somewhere, some way.

Fixing this 5* issue seems simple. I can see one of 2 ways. Keep color draws as is and implement some coding where if color is =5, then the cover can be applied to any of the other 2 covers. Other option is to make covers colorless. Lets be honest, there's no risk of someone drawing 3, applying it to the 3 colors, then using CP to whale out the character. If they did, hats off too them (and your wallets), and LOL. The final option, and the one that seems least likely, is to make 5* obtainable in game somehow. CL10, or have a 2500 pvp progression, I don't really care. Even if it's something I can't reach now, it gives me hope that someday I can, and keeps dangling that carrot. Right now, in my mind there is no carrot and I'm wondering if I don't just go for a little break. And this thought right there, is the greatest threat to your game. Not because I am important. I'm not. But because this can happen to any user. And as it does, if that doubt starts to creep into their head, you may find yourself down yet another user. And another. And another...

Comments

• Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Meander wrote:
    In my opinion, this is only an issue with 5*, as there is no other way to obtain them.

What would be the point of any other * if you could just pick and choose the 5* you want?

I guess you could ask them to implement a system where for less CP than then cover bump and a cover of that 5* you can change it into another.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    There's a fifth option!

Buy a roster slot for the cover, make it a dupe. Then nicely ask CS if they can combine them after you have champed phoenix

I've always wondered if a threat of a charge back would have any affect on CS. But I guess you wouldn't want to risk losing your account entirely.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    The absolute worst case scenario is to land on a 5/5/0 Phoenix because not even 720 CP can save you in that unfortunate circumstance.

Here is a question I have wondered from time to time: How much would I give to switch the color of a 5* cover?
    Obviously the value of this kind of transaction has to be something less than 720 CP; since I could buy the cover outright for that price.

This isn't a question of how they would try to price the feature if it ever exists... what do you think a fair value for that would be?
  • drag0n41
    drag0n41 Posts: 86 Match Maker
    The absolute worst case scenario is to land on a 5/5/0 Phoenix because not even 720 CP can save you in that unfortunate circumstance.

Here is a question I have wondered from time to time: How much would I give to switch the color of a 5* cover?
    Obviously the value of this kind of transaction has to be something less than 720 CP; since I could buy the cover outright for that price.

This isn't a question of how they would try to price the feature if it ever exists... what do you think a fair value for that would be?

My suggestion for that would be 180 CP for 5*. This is 1/4 the cost to buy it outright, and easy to implement into other tiers.

You would need to have a cover in an ability that is already at 5 to use this feature.
  • As the proud owner of a 4/11/2 Phoenix I agree this is an issue. But it's the nature of RNG. Just ask my 3/0/1 OML.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The simplest solutions would be, make covers colorless and let us build out characters the way we want, no cover would ever be wasted
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    MY 2/5/5 Surfer for whom I have pulled two extra red covers is in the same boat.

Customer service told me to tinykitty right off.

They also told me that since they broke up my dupe im40 earlier this year for me, they won't be extending any such courtesy ever. Time to see what my dupe Surfer sells for.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    any draw should be for a character, which you can apply to any ability you want.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    A standard token should be optionally redeemed for a one day extension to a cover in your queue (with unlimited redemptions - in case you get a stubborn situation like OP).
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    Forget 5/5/2, my Black-Suit Spidey is only 5/1/5. So I either get extremely lucky twice with draws, or save up a nearly impossible 1440 CP. I would love to be able to switch colors of a cover for an amount of CP.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know this feeling well, my Phoenix is 5/2/5 and I got a green cover yesterday.
    Fortunately I have 720 CP saved up, so I can make her a champion if needed. That's a lot of CP to spend though, so I am slightly reluctant to pull the trigger...
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Here I thought the biggest standing issue was having sore legs.

But I guess this is true too
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    In one of the more recent Dev posts didn't they mention in a patch very soon they'll be implementing a "colorless" tile as a solution to this very problem?
  • How anyone can say that the biggest issue in this game is anything but the horrendous, gawd awful lag is beyond me.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    So this happened today. icon_lol.gif

phoenix%20dupe_zpsmzor4oqw.jpg
    You're leveling the one with the single cover? Why?
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    How anyone can say that the biggest issue in this game is anything but the horrendous, gawd awful lag is beyond me.

Umm...because the lag is an accident and the cover issue is deliberate? Maybe? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even if they only let us exchange a 5* for a different color of the same hero once per month, that would be good enough. But seriously, why do you make progress for those of us chasing 5*s so ding dong dang difficult??? I haven't made any meaningful progression in the game in a very, very very very long time. It feels like everything I do is worthless, because there's very little guarantee that I'll get the thing I'm chasing.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't complain because most people playing the game are just trying to cover and level up 4*s. This is a "1st world problem".
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    The biggest issue is the complete lack of quality control.

While there is vocal group here about 5* cover dupes most players will not have this issue for a long time. However, everyone is hit by the quality issues that constantly affect the game. Everyone with a Prof X is hit by the invisibility issue. Everyone playing EotS was hit by the progression points issue.

Congrats to those who spent or worked to get 5*s with 5 covers, but the majority are a long way from that.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    irwando wrote:
    The biggest issue is the complete lack of quality control.

While there is vocal group here about 5* cover dupes most players will not have this issue for a long time. However, everyone is hit by the quality issues that constantly affect the game. Everyone with a Prof X is hit by the invisibility issue. Everyone playing EotS was hit by the progression points issue.

Congrats to those who spent or worked to get 5*s with 5 covers, but the majority are a long way from that.

Few things. First, check the date of this original post. Yes, some things have occurred since then. Second, the issues you mentioned are huge, but fixable. Comp everyone from a point threshold in EoTS, fix bugs, etc. There is no fix for the 5* issue. This needs to be addressed, and soon