Good Changes in PVP format and Rewards

DaBeast911
DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I applaud the PvP changes, now the game is being played how it should be, the blood bath will be a result of absolute carnage. It would be nice to have a clear definition of how your defensive team is selected, communication is key.

Initially, the progression CP was 15 but I just noticed it has went back to 25, don't know if this was a minor glitch or an oversight.

Customer service also has gotten amazingly better within the last month. Formerly, I would've given CS a 2-3 on a scale of 1-10 but now, they've earned a 8-9, in my opinion. Quicker response times, no blanket, copy and paste email responses and services are actually being done, bravo for the increase in quality and communication in that regards.

In closing, good changes all around, especially for those needing the 25 CP. Now the game is interesting and competitive again.

PhantomSniper

Comments

• grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    So how are you going to climb to 1200 on the last day when you can't find any 75 point matches? Also, you were previously sniping the bakers and by that time the enforcers were usually too high to make you worthwhile, but now the enforcers are going to hit your team just as often as you hit the high amount guys (which won't be so high since they won't be 2k ahead of you, now only a couple of hundred). Welcome to the slog that is BOP.
  • DaBeast911
    DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    This what you call competitive PvP. You use the word bakers...if you believe in true competition, that's not part of the equation. Competition and battle isn't about finding the easy way, it's about fighting and having fun doing it. Sure, baking gets you there faster but where's the enjoyment there? Scoring 5K-6K per PvP, simply because all you do is eat CC's, where's the fun or excitement? I prefer to fight A-teams but for those that enjoy baking, to each it's own. I'm not knocking people that bake or those that eat cupcakes, not at all, I just enjoy the fun of hitting A-teams and using strategy to win, instead of depending on finding the easy way out. It's far from BoP, in my opinion but you have a right to have yours.

PhantomSniper
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll tentatively agree with you on this. I've already gotten the 3 GSBW covers from the Simulator and one of the She-Hulk covers from the Season rewards, and I haven't even started playing Fist Bump yet.

My experience so far seems to be most of my battles are in the high 20s to low 40s range, with a few above the 40 point mark, all with fairly reasonable team builds. I'm solidly in 3* land, and that seems to be most of what I'm seeing, a few lower level 4*'s and undercovered 5*'s.

Now I'll win a battle for say 35 points and come out and see I've lost two, but the cumulative total point loss has been less than 20 points. Under the old structure it was fairly common for me to win a battle for the same amount of points, maybe 10-15 more, but come out to a nice little message saying I lost well over 100 points. So before it felt like one step forward, five steps back and now it at least feels like two steps forward, one step back.

So far I've lost more than 100 points overnight and during a few extended sessions I've been away from the game in the Simulator, but each time I was able to gain all those points back and make it to the next progression point or two after a handful of battles. Under the old setup, it darn near would have been a lost cause.

Granted, my experience so far has only been in the Simulator. I can't speak to what the play is like in Fist Bump, but if it's similar, I'll be just as happy. I had pretty much written off PvP, but if this is the scoring structure here to stay, I'll be much more inclined to play.

On a side note, I know it's a condensed season and the reward structure will change, but I'm seriously digging the fact that the progression points in the Simulator are only 40 points apart. It's making it really hard to stop playing because I can usually hit the next point with just one. More. Battle.
  • grunth13
    DaBeast911 wrote:
    This what you call competitive PvP. You use the word bakers...if you believe in true competition, that's not part of the equation. Competition and battle isn't about finding the easy way, it's about fighting and having fun doing it. Sure, baking gets you there faster but where's the enjoyment there? Scoring 5K-6K per PvP, simply because all you do is eat CC's, where's the fun or excitement? I prefer to fight A-teams but for those that enjoy baking, to each it's own. I'm not knocking people that bake or those that eat cupcakes, not at all, I just enjoy the fun of hitting A-teams and using strategy to win, instead of depending on finding the easy way out. It's far from BoP, in my opinion but you have a right to have yours.

PhantomSniper

If you call competitive play playing against a dumb AI and beating it and thumping your chest that you beat me, well, who am I to argue. As has been said many times in these forums, you are not playing ME. Sadly, you just don't seem to get that tiny nugget of information. BTW, do you routinely go to the local elementary school and play basketball with the kids?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo wrote:
    So far I've lost more than 100 points overnight and during a few extended sessions I've been away from the game in the Simulator, but each time I was able to gain all those points back and make it to the next progression point or two after a handful of battles. Under the old setup, it darn near would have been a lost cause.

Yep. I was able to hit the 800 point mark in Simulator for the 4* cover reward essentially over last night and this morning, and that was despite losing around 160 points along the way (mainly while I slept). It never felt like "well, damn, lost cause."

It's also the first time I've ever hit the 4* cover in simulator. Maybe it deserves an asterisk for only needing 800 points, but I don't care. icon_lol.gif
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    DarthDeVo wrote:

Yep. I was able to hit the 800 point mark in Simulator for the 4* cover reward essentially over last night and this morning, and that was despite losing around 160 points along the way (mainly while I slept). It never felt like "well, damn, lost cause."

It's also the first time I've ever hit the 4* cover in simulator. Maybe it deserves an asterisk for only needing 800 points, but I don't care. icon_lol.gif

Yep, I ended up hitting full progression earlier this afternoon as well. I wasn't even particularly interested in getting the cover (no room on my roster), so I wasn't even necessarily trying for it. I just kept playing and it just kind of happened. Not that I'm complaining or anything. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 wrote:
    DaBeast911 wrote:

PhantomSniper

If you call competitive play playing against a dumb AI and beating it and thumping your chest that you beat me, well, who am I to argue. As has been said many times in these forums, you are not playing ME. Sadly, you just don't seem to get that tiny nugget of information. BTW, do you routinely go to the local elementary school and play basketball with the kids?
    Jeez where did that come from? I'd understand if he were calling you out, but the guy is just giving his opinion. Keep it civil.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    This is almost literally how PvP has been for me for a long time now - almost nothing has changed for me since the update. I still have to fight teams that are right at or above my level, with the other team oftentimes having champed 4 stars when I don't even have one maxed, and the point values are usually in the 25-45 range right from the start. I used to complain about it, then gave up and stopped playing PvP because no one really cared and could still make tons of points when I couldn't. Now everyone else gets to feel my pain.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    Jeez where did that come from? I'd understand if he were calling you out, but the guy is just giving his opinion. Keep it civil.[/quote]

I can see the analogy was lost on you, so I'll help: A grown wo/man (making the assumption of age here) going to play b-ball with the pre-teens is going to be at best a farce. The analogy being that taking even a semi-competent player into a match against the simplistic AI is overwhelmingly going to go in the player's favor. I'm confident in stating that losses happen in only two circumstances; going in on low health, and cascades.

The overarching concept here is an argument can be made that "true" Versus matches are only different than "cupcake" matches in terms of their length.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    grunth13 wrote:
    DaBeast911 wrote:

PhantomSniper

Versus what exactly? Under every circumstance we play against a dumb AI and never an actual person.

If your point is that MPQ cannot truly be competitive under any circumstance because of the AI aspect i guess i agree but if it bothers you why do you play?
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    It will be interesting to see how the rewards in the sim will work out in a proper season, will they continue to come at the same sort of rate or will it be the same amount of rewards as this time and just stretched out over 2k points.

Hopefully, it will be the former as this sim was far more enjoyable even before getting the final prize from it.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was very puzzled going on this afternoon. Last night I made a small push upwards to 600 points just as something to do. Normally when that happens I'll log on the next day and I'm back down to around 450. Today...I hadn't been hit once. Not even a win, just...no hits. Possibly an anomoly, but I am seeing that as a welcome change for now.

So the push from 600-900 was quite a bit easier.

But I agree with TC, I want a way to know what the game's picked as my defensive team. It would be nice to setup a defensive team on a seed node and then not have to worry about it. For example, I could setup a defense of X-23 and Thoress, but to actually attack I'd rather switch X-23 out for IM40, which I assume the game would consider weaker and thus not change my defense up.
    But the point is I have no idea. I might be wasting my time because the game doesn't consider it too weak to change my defensive team up.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 wrote:
    DaBeast911 wrote:

PhantomSniper

Versus what exactly? Under every circumstance we play against a dumb AI and never an actual person.

If your point is that MPQ cannot truly be competitive under any circumstance because of the AI aspect i guess i agree but if it bothers you why do you play?

Hence why I say there is no real competition in pvp. The OP was spouting about its real competition now that cc are gone. I'm trying to make him understand that there really isn't any competition in pvp.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Seriously, I'm gonna start taking a drink every time I read a variation of "as it should be" in these threads. I look forward to being drunk by noon and out of a job by week's end.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    El Satanno wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:
    Jeez where did that come from? I'd understand if he were calling you out, but the guy is just giving his opinion. Keep it civil.

I can see the analogy was lost on you, so I'll help: A grown wo/man (making the assumption of age here) going to play b-ball with the pre-teens is going to be at best a farce. The analogy being that taking even a semi-competent player into a match against the simplistic AI is overwhelmingly going to go in the player's favor. I'm confident in stating that losses happen in only two circumstances; going in on low health, and cascades.

The overarching concept here is an argument can be made that "true" Versus matches are only different than "cupcake" matches in terms of their length.

Your quoting went wonky, I fixed it for you. I understand the analogy, but not the necessity for rudeness. He gave his opinion, got responded to with an unnecessary insult.
    That's what I'm asking about.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    Your quoting went wonky, I fixed it for you. I understand the analogy, but not the necessity for rudeness. He gave his opinion, got responded to with an unnecessary insult.
    That's what I'm asking about.

So it did. Thank you! I tried fixing it myself but I ran outta patience. It'll have to stay that way. But you are a gentleman for the service.

On to the actual content of the post, I'm not really seeing an insult per se. It wasn't exactly civil but I wouldn't call it insulting. At any rate, OP and many, many other of us dedicated players are having a much less enjoyable time with the game thanks to these changes. Emotions are running rather hot and it's no surprise that we're having the reaction of turning on people who cheer the cause of our misfortune.