Should I sell my 5*?

imsel
imsel Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
I'm a fairly new player and I've been reading the forums on how to improve. I've been careful to try and keep my highest 3 characters at around the same level (right now about 74). I have three 2*s at 74 and a couple of 4*s at 74 and I've been using them to grind PvE and PvP. I ended up getting a legendary token, I figured the odds of getting a 5* were pretty low so I opened it. I ended up getting a 5* Hulk (level 255). Will this mess up my scaling for PvE and PvP enough that's it is worth selling him back, or should I keep him in hopes that I'll get other covers for him someday?

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my opinion, no. Estimates of your roster strength are supposed to take the number of covers you have into account, so that 255 character with one cover should be just a fraction of 255 in the leveling math.

How much of a fraction? That we don't know. The math is confidential.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    I dont know how exactly scaling works but i can say that one promoted 4* had much more significant impact on PvP enemies than 6 5* heroes at default level (255).
    You know what - you can sell it anytime, but you will never get it back. I reccomend you to keep it.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Play one pve event with it on your roster and try it for yourself, when they were first introduced they would have a crippling impact on your scaling, but it has supposedly been improved since then.
  • imsel
    Thanks for the responses! On a different note, what should I look to spend command points on? Is it better to buy tokens or increase a character's ability?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    imsel wrote:
    Thanks for the responses! On a different note, what should I look to spend command points on? Is it better to buy tokens or increase a character's ability?
    Tokens.

But not right now. Work on your 3 and 4*s first, and hoard CP.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Roster him and see what happens, you can always sell him if does kill your scaling. What level difficulty are the hardest nodes for you PvE once you have cleared them 4 times before adding him? Then compare after your roster him, that may show you how much of an impact he is having on your roster. Those nodes probably should be higher but not too significantly higher than the level of your boosted characters. If it is significantly higher, he may still be impacting your scaling. Post some information on what level those nodes are and the level of the highest three characters on your roster (including boosts) in that event. My guess is since your highest level character is only 74 and let's say under level 200 when boosted, he will probably impact your scaling to some degree even under the new system. 5* are still pretty rare so I would at least try him out to see before just selling him.

Not sure on PvP impact as I don't play that mode as often and the MMR system is less understood than PvE it seems.

Btw - there is a section for this type of question under Tips & Guides - Roster Help.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    I would keep the 5*. It sounds like they fixed the odd single 5* cover scaling problem. If your scaling is still too high, I would still hang onto it. It looks like this was an unintended consequence of the 5* tier. And thus if it hasn't already been fixed, it should be fixed in the next month or so?
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    If you do end up selling it, first make sure you test the effect.
    (assuming you already rostered him).

If you have not rostered it, just check your PVE opponents level now, then roster it and check again. You have your answer.

If you have it rostered, the only way is to just note down the PVE enemy level first and then sell it, and report the results before and after. Now you know what happens if you pull a 5s.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    No

(more characters to get over 9-character minimum)
  • imsel
    So for anyone curious, yes it has totally messed up my scaling. Where as before I could generally get through PVE missions, I now struggle to make even the top 200. The top end nodes require me to spend a lot on boosts or drain too many HP for me to do the nodes enough times. Similar with PvP, it's difficult to even get in the top 200. I'm now stuck in some sort of no man land where I can't compete in either format so I can't get the covers I need to advance.

TLDR: Don't use Legendary tokens unless you are read to make the 4*->5* transition icon_e_sad.gif
  • Lampo
    Lampo Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    imsel wrote:
    So for anyone curious, yes it has totally messed up my scaling. Where as before I could generally get through PVE missions, I now struggle to make even the top 200. The top end nodes require me to spend a lot on boosts or drain too many HP for me to do the nodes enough times. Similar with PvP, it's difficult to even get in the top 200. I'm now stuck in some sort of no man land where I can't compete in either format so I can't get the covers I need to advance.

TLDR: Don't use Legendary tokens unless you are read to make the 4*->5* transition icon_e_sad.gif

Also: don't use LT if you don't have free slots.