Hey Devs!! Stop Placating the Whining Noobs!

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm done being nice -- I'm done turning my head when you make nerf after nerf because of noobs complaining, but do nothing to reward the loyalty of players who have put almost a year of their time and tons of their money into this game. Let's just get real -- how many people actually stick with a game this long? The answer is MTGPQ players.

We've worked hard to build our inventories and decks -- we've put in the play time that it takes to have tons of leveled PW and we still find fun in playing each of them in events. We've seen you do some really **** things -- remember the Jace nerf -- you took all the joy out of playing Jace -- and we stayed.

But this Kiora nerf -- this is crossing the line. Kiora was special -- I remember how excited we were when she came out. How everyone battled their butts off to win her in QB -- and then TONS of people dropped $49.99 to get her. When she came out in crystals (before we had decent opportunities to earn crystals) many of us (including me) bought crystal packs to supplement our meager coffers and gleefully bought our Kiora -- then we all realized she (as the first 2 color PW) would cost twice as much to level up -- but we didn't complain -- we just battled more and earned those runes!

And there has NEVER been a problem. True, we all got a little annoyed before AA was nerfed because that combo was just ridiculous -- but no one ever really complained about Kiora.

Until the noobs decided to tier up before they were ready and now they're playing veteran players in the Gold Tier with strong Kiora decks and they start whining.

So what do you do? Well you certainly didn't tell them to suck it up -- because these Kiora decks were EARNED by players who put time and money into her -- NO. You punished the people who are loyal to your game with an unnecessary nerf to the second and third abilities -- especially the second as it is now more expensive than the first and less valuable. It also doesn't helps the whiney noobs because AI doesn't play the second ability. (Note that I'm not complaining about the first -- I'm ok with that.)

I bet if you had released Kiora for purchase a week ago so everyone could have her, no one would complain -- but since it's been so long since she was available and only VETERAN players have her, you are getting the whiners.

Do you even think intelligently about these things before you do them? The trick is thinking like a parent. My older child gets privileges that my younger child does not -- when the younger one complains -- I tell him he has to earn them with age and experience. I don't give him what he wants -- because then I devalue my older child's life experience that caused her to earn those privileges -- that is what you are doing to the veteran players who have been loyal to this game well beyond the normal time people stay loyal to a game.

As far as the other nerfs go -- everyone who got to progression in the TOS event (I more than doubled that score so it's not that hard to do) got Sage -- so I don't see the point in nerfing a card that everyone got -- especially since everyone can't really get together the draw power in green to do anything about it so it gets taken out quickly.

RC -- I guess I get that, but honestly you can get around RC --even reinforced with Gideon 1's 1st and 3rd abilities if you just put a little thought into it. It would have been better just to make that card a rare -- but whatever, I'm not going to complain -- just pointing out how this is really only a problem for the noob whiners who don't think intelligently about how to make cards work for them -- and honestly what you do for RC is also good for Sphinx so they should be thinking about that because Sphinx is harder to get by.

Hydra - This card gets taken out in turn 1 9 out of 10 times. I'm ok with nerfing it, but doubling a card that you can barely play??? Really?

Seasons Past: I've personally never lost to this card unless it freezes up my game -- hope you're actually doing something about that while you're so busy punishing your loyal players.

Harness: Double for 3 shield? Really -- I hope it's going to be 4 or 5 shield now because this also gets taken out fast. 9 or 10 would have been better for such low shield.

Thanks for fixing Tyrant. That was annoying.

Can we please get a full list of bug fixes -- I'm not playing certain cards due to bugs and it would be nice to know what I can and can't play.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• doughnut_hole
    Options
    Like most veteran players of the game, I too am saddened over the fact that Kiora got nerfed. I say "saddened" specifically, because rather than feel embittered or angered, I feel that I sort have lost a companion to the MtGPQ world.

I started playing this game quite early when everything was still fresh and new. I in fact started playing months before the first PVE event and when buying a 600 crystal booster pack got you a "Mythic Card Guaranteed." Back then, the Eldrzai were still new, and Jace hadn't been nerfed yet as well. Ob Nixilis and Koth were also just being introduced.

I am saddened that Kiora got nerfed because she was really the first Planeswalker to help introduce me into the game. With her, I had to learn how to build various decks to counter opponents, learned about synergy, found ways to strategize, as well as learned how to take heavy losses before overcoming in-game difficulties. I'm not that great of a player, but I rank consistently in the top 10 for QB events (when I feel like playing them), and Kiora was the one Planeswalker that helped me get past a 110 win streak. It was fun.

Now, however, she seems boring and weak according to the patch notes. I am disappointed to see how downgraded she will become, and lament the fact that I invested so much time, energy, and joy into playing her. I am also saddened over the fact that I used actual money to purchase her where the product I purchased is now being changed/downgraded without my input. icon_cry.gif I understand that the devs. all have the right to make changes when necessary after we hit the "install" button for downloading this game, but still...it really does make me, the customer, sad to see this happen.

I think the nerf brings out an issue that moderators and devs should pay more close attention to. Specifically, rather than (over)react to certain demands made by gamers who seem to be newcomers to app., take time to also assets what veteran players have to say about forthcoming changes. This can be done through a voting poll posted online through the threads where the devs. ask players, both old and new, about certain changes they think about making. I don't know if this is a realistic alternative, but at least loyal players to the game, as well as new people, can share their thoughts and ideas before something irreversible happens.

I also wanted to make one last comment. For those who complained that Kiora was too OP, I would like to kindly state that, in my opinion, she was not too OP at all. Rather, her skill sets and combative properties brought into MtGPQ what so many gamers seek when playing: challenge. I think that gamers play games not to just satisfy themselves with wins and rewards, but also, to play on that fine line between defeat and victory. I think those who make issue with Kiora being too strong perhaps had not yet invested enough time in considering strategy, or perhaps they overreacted and were still new to the game (I understand that this perhaps may be a generalization, so forgive me if I am wrong here). It is more of a thrill, I think, to go against constant battles and players who are just a tad bit better than you, see what strategy they are using for their decks, and then spend some time trying to counter them (or better yet, coping them but then changing them just slightly to match your style). This is how I was able to win many, many, many difficult battles in the game: by losing, observing, losing again, and then finally countering with a different build. This was especially true during the first PVE event, the Battle of Gatewatch.

In conclusion, I feel that Kiora's stats and abilities were absolutely fine in the game, and that they offered players the ability to become better, build stronger decks, and to learn more about the meta-game for strategy. I am saddened that she will be nerfed, and hope that the devs. reconsider restoring her status in future updates.

Anyway, thank you for reading. I just wanted to add my voice to the discontent regarding the forthcoming update.

I now will go and mourn the loss of Kiora, Master of the Depths. icon_cry.gif

*goes to sob* icon_neutral.gif
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    I'm done being nice -- I'm done turning my head when you make nerf after nerf because of noobs complaining, but do nothing to reward the loyalty of players who have put almost a year of their time and tons of their money into this game. Let's just get real -- how many people actually stick with a game this long? The answer is MTGPQ players.

We've worked hard to build our inventories and decks -- we've put in the play time that it takes to have tons of leveled PW and we still find fun in playing each of them in events. We've seen you do some really **** things -- remember the Jace nerf -- you took all the joy out of playing Jace -- and we stayed.

But this Kiora nerf -- this is crossing the line. Kiora was special -- I remember how excited we were when she came out. How everyone battled their butts off to win her in QB -- and then TONS of people dropped $49.99 to get her. When she came out in crystals (before we had decent opportunities to earn crystals) many of us (including me) bought crystal packs to supplement our meager coffers and gleefully bought our Kiora -- then we all realized she (as the first 2 color PW) would cost twice as much to level up -- but we didn't complain -- we just battled more and earned those runes!

And there has NEVER been a problem. True, we all got a little annoyed before AA was nerfed because that combo was just ridiculous -- but no one ever really complained about Kiora.

Until the noobs decided to tier up before they were ready and now they're playing veteran players in the Gold Tier with strong Kiora decks and they start whining.

So what do you do? Well you certainly didn't tell them to suck it up -- because these Kiora decks were EARNED by players who put time and money into her -- NO. You punished the people who are loyal to your game with an unnecessary nerf to the second and third abilities -- especially the second as it is now more expensive than the first and less valuable. It also doesn't helps the whiney noobs because AI doesn't play the second ability. (Note that I'm not complaining about the first -- I'm ok with that.)

I bet if you had released Kiora for purchase a week ago so everyone could have her, no one would complain -- but since it's been so long since she was available and only VETERAN players have her, you are getting the whiners.

Do you even think intelligently about these things before you do them? The trick is thinking like a parent. My older child gets privileges that my younger child does not -- when the younger one complains -- I tell him he has to earn them with age and experience. I don't give him what he wants -- because then I devalue my older child's life experience that caused her to earn those privileges -- that is what you are doing to the veteran players who have been loyal to this game well beyond the normal time people stay loyal to a game.

As far as the other nerfs go -- everyone who got to progression in the TOS event (I more than doubled that score so it's not that hard to do) got Sage -- so I don't see the point in nerfing a card that everyone got -- especially since everyone can't really get together the draw power in green to do anything about it so it gets taken out quickly.

RC -- I guess I get that, but honestly you can get around RC --even reinforced with Gideon 1's 1st and 3rd abilities if you just put a little thought into it. It would have been better just to make that card a rare -- but whatever, I'm not going to complain -- just pointing out how this is really only a problem for the noob whiners who don't think intelligently about how to make cards work for them -- and honestly what you do for RC is also good for Sphinx so they should be thinking about that because Sphinx is harder to get by.

Hydra - This card gets taken out in turn 1 9 out of 10 times. I'm ok with nerfing it, but doubling a card that you can barely play??? Really?

Seasons Past: I've personally never lost to this card unless it freezes up my game -- hope you're actually doing something about that while you're so busy punishing your loyal players.

Harness: Double for 3 shield? Really -- I hope it's going to be 4 or 5 shield now because this also gets taken out fast. 9 or 10 would have been better for such low shield.

Thanks for fixing Tyrant. That was annoying.

Can we please get a full list of bug fixes -- I'm not playing certain cards due to bugs and it would be nice to know what I can and can't play.

Thanks for your time.

Exactly. We vest has spent so much time and crystals to make good kiora. The only reason why I got kiora was to replace Jace.
    We all started from Bronze and made all the way up in tiers, working hard and being patient.
    After pulling such move, I sure the dev still want us donate $$ on the game.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Like most veteran players of the game, I too am saddened over the fact that Kiora got nerfed. I say "saddened" specifically, because rather than feel embittered or angered, I feel that I sort have lost a companion to the MtGPQ world.

I started playing this game quite early when everything was still fresh and new. I in fact started playing months before the first PVE event and when buying a 600 crystal booster pack got you a "Mythic Card Guaranteed." Back then, the Eldrzai were still new, and Jace hadn't been nerfed yet as well. Ob Nixilis and Koth were also just being introduced.

I am saddened that Kiora got nerfed because she was really the first Planeswalker to help introduce me into the game. With her, I had to learn how to build various decks to counter opponents, learned about synergy, found ways to strategize, as well as learned how to take heavy losses before overcoming in-game difficulties. I'm not that great of a player, but I rank consistently in the top 10 for QB events (when I feel like playing them), and Kiora was the one Planeswalker that helped me get past a 110 win streak. It was fun.

Now, however, she seems boring and weak according to the patch notes. I am disappointed to see how downgraded she will become, and lament the fact that I invested so much time, energy, and joy into playing her. I am also saddened over the fact that I used actual money to purchase her where the product I purchased is now being changed/downgraded without my input. icon_cry.gif I understand that the devs. all have the right to make changes when necessary after we hit the "install" button for downloading this game, but still...it really does make me, the customer, sad to see this happen.

I think the nerf brings out an issue that moderators and devs should pay more close attention to. Specifically, rather than (over)react to certain demands made by gamers who seem to be newcomers to app., take time to also assets what veteran players have to say about forthcoming changes. This can be done through a voting poll posted online through the threads where the devs. ask players, both old and new, about certain changes they think about making. I don't know if this is a realistic alternative, but at least loyal players to the game, as well as new people, can share their thoughts and ideas before something irreversible happens.

I also wanted to make one last comment. For those who complained that Kiora was too OP, I would like to kindly state that, in my opinion, she was not too OP at all. Rather, her skill sets and combative properties brought into MtGPQ what so many gamers seek when playing: challenge. I think that gamers play games not to just satisfy themselves with wins and rewards, but also, to play on that fine line between defeat and victory. I think those who make issue with Kiora being too strong perhaps had not yet invested enough time in considering strategy, or perhaps they overreacted and were still new to the game (I understand that this perhaps may be a generalization, so forgive me if I am wrong here). It is more of a thrill, I think, to go against constant battles and players who are just a tad bit better than you, see what strategy they are using for their decks, and then spend some time trying to counter them (or better yet, coping them but then changing them just slightly to match your style). This is how I was able to win many, many, many difficult battles in the game: by losing, observing, losing again, and then finally countering with a different build. This was especially true during the first PVE event, the Battle of Gatewatch.

In conclusion, I feel that Kiora's stats and abilities were absolutely fine in the game, and that they offered players the ability to become better, build stronger decks, and to learn more about the meta-game for strategy. I am saddened that she will be nerfed, and hope that the devs. reconsider restoring her status in future updates.

Anyway, thank you for reading. I just wanted to add my voice to the discontent regarding the forthcoming update.

I now will go and mourn the loss of Kiora, Master of the Depths. icon_cry.gif

*goes to sob* icon_neutral.gif

Just want to head off the tangential rant about reduced drop rates by stating mythics were never ever guaranteed in big boxes. I opened 3 using the gold from story and misc sources, and only got mythics in my first box.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    A list of bug fixes is still being worked on and should be in the final release notes.

Refrain from shouting and insulting in topic tiles. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.