Please reduce the common tax

Options
2»

Comments

• blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    alextfish wrote:
    The forum isn't letting me thumbs-up anything, so I'll just post to say I agree. The game should be about synergy and skill, and buying more cards should give you more opportunities for finding fun synergies/combos and assembling more focused decks.

At the moment the power differential between mythics, rares, and the rest is so absurdly large that the game isn't really about synergies so much as it's about who manages to open the best mythics. (Maybe up at platinum where you can assume everyone has everything you get back to focusing on synergies, just with decks containing 5 mythics 4 rares and one uncommon or common. But down here in silver the different between opening a playable mythic versus a bad one, or opening two mythics versus none at all, makes a painful amount of different.)

I'd rather 90% of this game's commons were bumped in power level significantly, and 90% of the game's mythics were nerfed significantly (mainly in mana cost or taking down the crazyhigh p/t), with the result that far fewer cards are auto-includes (currently many mythics), far fewer cards are auto-excludes (currently most commons), and instead many more cards become viable and many more decks become viable.

I play and end up in the TOP 25 in platinum all the time. And I hardly use any mythic cards in my decks. black Drana in my black decks, blue Rattlechains for Kiora (which will be replaced with a cheaper card after Kiora'a uber nerf in patch 1.7), Koth's tyrant, Nahiri's Angel of Deliverance, Nissa's Soul devourer, Garruk with Nissa's revelation because he runs Sage.

The rest of their 9 cards in a 10 card deck? rares, uncommons and even common cards.

you are correct. it's all about card synergy. slapping 6 mythics together in a 10 deck card isn't going to win you any games if the cards clash.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    also, I love my black void Gem making cards: grip, graveyard harvest, transgress.

allows me (not the poor AI) to play blight herder n Ulamog Despoiler with their process abilities triggered.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Irgy wrote:
    Different colours obviously but mana is mana. There's no global cost balancing going on, and until there is there's always going to be strange comparisons.

Just a minor quibble. Colour differences do matter. 12 mana to red is not the same as 12 mana to black.
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Irgy wrote:
    Different colours obviously but mana is mana. There's no global cost balancing going on, and until there is there's always going to be strange comparisons.

Just a minor quibble. Colour differences do matter. 12 mana to red is not the same as 12 mana to black.

Well if this were true it's an even bigger problem. How are they supposed to balance the colours, and especially multi-coloured planeswalkers if they don't balance the costs between colours?

I think it is true that different colours have access to different effects, and in theory it can be ok that some of those effects are more powerful if the overall balance is maintained. But I would think mana of all things should be the common ground if anything.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Irgy wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Irgy wrote:

Well if this were true it's an even bigger problem. How are they supposed to balance the colours, and especially multi-coloured planeswalkers if they don't balance the costs between colours?

I think it is true that different colours have access to different effects, and in theory it can be ok that some of those effects are more powerful if the overall balance is maintained. But I would think mana of all things should be the common ground if anything.

This carries over from paper mtg. Each colour has a different theme, so costs will look different depending on colour.

For example, creature removal shouldn't be readily available for green... So when it is, the costs should be higher.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Absolutely agree.

I'm really sad whenever I play some collectible game and find that the rarer cards are blatantly better than the common ones. I mean, sure rarer cards tend to be either stronger or more complex than the common ones, but to have them so utterly, obviously better is an insult especially given how hard getting these rares can be.

Upvoted, mate.