glggwp
glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
What's the point of this rare...

Comments

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think they are toying with the idea of 'bulk rares' like in paper mtg. Seriously though, this card is pretty pointless imo. I'd rather just use murderer's axe for less than half the cost for the same effect (+2/+2 all the time vs +4/+4 half the time).
  • Ekkias
    Ekkias Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Maybe to protect your creature from Smite or Aligned Hedron Network? Those are the only two reasons I can think of.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That's interesting, never thought of that interaction. My main thinking was they were just emulating the paper version that summons a 4/4 angel that's tapped and attacking when the enchanted creature attacks. The angel gets exiled at the end of turn. Hence +4/+4 while attacking and that's it. Bland rare in paper translates to a worse rare in pq even before factoring in that the set size is smaller and rares are much harder to come by.
  • glggwp
    Options
    how about changing it to summon 4 8/8 octopuses with trample, haste and reach for 1 turn?
  • glggwp
    Options
    Ekkias wrote:
    Maybe to protect your creature from Smite or Aligned Hedron Network? Those are the only two reasons I can think of.
    this a creative thought but also a little pathetic in nature...
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Repeatedly gaining and losing toughness is better than just having toughness, because of how it interacts with damage. If a creature for some reason takes 2 damage every time it attacks (maybe your opponent is making a scion every turn) it will die eventually no matter how much toughness it has. If that creature gains 4 toughness every time it attacks, it will never die.

The card is still bad of course, I'm just trying to find a slightly better reason why you could in theory want to use it.
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The fact that it sort of gives regenerate 4 is interesting but it should be 8 mana at most, probably 6 to make it a decent rare that sees much play.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Invocation of Saint Traft works best with Berserkers (that don't have first/double strike). You get to clear the opponent's board while the creature takes lessened damage. There is also that side benefit of taking less damage from defenders.

Unfortunately Berserkers are deadweight until Runaway Carriage is fixed. Also Blue doesn't exactly have many Berserkers though it can run Berserker's Plate. White doesn't have many either, the most prominent being Iroas's Champion which would rather you run Murderer's Axe cause it doesn't benefit from the damage blocking.

So in order to have access to good Berserkers, your best option ends up being running it in one of the following dual-colour planeswalkers: Kiora, Saheeli, Ajani, Nahiri, Sorin. Of that list Kiora obviously has better decklists to run but the rest are suitable candidates for experimentation.