Should we be scared about true randomness in the game. . .

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Given that Anthony said this in announcing the 4* crash reshuffle?
Now, the order of featured characters has been randomized (can you guess the pattern? It is not tough ).

And here I thought any pattern at all meant != random.

Maybe the tile rng conspiracy theorists are really on to something . . .

icon_e_wink.gif

(editor's note: this is snark! It is not intended to fuel actual ai cascade conspiracy theories!)

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Sure, let's worry.

*worries*

Okay, well, nothing changed. Guess it wasn't worth worrying after all.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    I think he just meant that they didn't pre-choose the order, they just went by the order of the secondary name.
    No big.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2016
    MojoWild wrote:
    I think he just meant that they didn't pre-choose the order, they just went by the order of the secondary name.
    No big.

I think the point wasn't that he didn't say what he meant, but rather that he actually doesn't know what the word "random" means, which lends credence to the claims that other things in the game that are supposedly "random" actually aren't.

Of course, the people making those claims *also* tend not to know what the word random means, so it's hard to credit them for anything regardless...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Technically random doesn't exist in technology, it's always based on something... But yes I think they devs need to brush up on their definition of random.
  • Vhailorx
    broll wrote:
    Technically random doesn't exist in technology, it's always based on something... But yes I think they devs need to brush up on their definition of random.

Not just a computing problem either. Before digital computing became commonplace, there used to be huge books of random number sets. And amusingly, publishers sometimes had to publish errata for their collections of random numbers!

/pedantic nostalgia

RNG algorithms aren't perfect. But the conspiracy theories are still pretty much all confirmation bias.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is there true random in the universe??? icon_e_smile.gif

Btw i would love to hear what algorithm they use for random generating. Devs pls share.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Now, the order of featured characters has been randomized (can you guess the pattern? It is not tough ).

icon_e_wink.gif

(editor's note: this is snark! It is not intended to fuel actual ai cascade conspiracy theories!)

Patterns can arise from random data. That's pretty much the nature of how randomness works. I think what you mean is predictable != random. If you can predict it, it isn't random. But random chance can still result in arrangements that take on the heuristics of patterns to the human brain.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2016
    If you played the game long enough its seems anything but random. My opinion, tokens is based on your current roster. It's like it uses a % based on your roster. You can have most 3*'s and 4*'s championed but it adds a % based on your roster what you need vs what isn't leveled or played with or don't have. So your odds of getting what you don't need is higher then what you would like. If I'm right if the % is removed if it scanned nothing at all its true randomness. Standard tokens (to me) are the only thing that is truly random.
  • Vhailorx
    Yeah, pattern as in predictive.

No pattern of numbers in the first half of a random number set should allow an observer to make better than uninformed guesses about the second half.

If a coin lands heads 5 times in a row, then there is, I suppose, a pattern of heads. But you still can't guess the next flip any better than 50/50 unless there's something wrong with the coin.

But after reading just a few entries of the new 4*ddq list, an observer could accurately predict almost the entire list. Hence not random!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't mind a predictive pattern on LT pulls if it meant I'd actually get 15% 5*s.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll admit that quote annoyed me. Sorting anything alphabetically is not sorting it randomly. But pedantry aside, it should serve as a fine rotation order for Titans. A truly random selection, where you could have two matches in a row with the same character, or worse, go a year without seeing one, would have been a problem.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    DFiPL wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

icon_e_wink.gif

Patterns can arise from random data. That's pretty much the nature of how randomness works. I think what you mean is predictable != random. If you can predict it, it isn't random. But random chance can still result in arrangements that take on the heuristics of patterns to the human brain.

Explain this randomness. 1/??????????? Known planets and stars is like earth (and growing). That is crazy when you think about it. I don't think a human brain should venture outside its home lol.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well it's kind of random in the sense that the subtitles were not chosen with DDQ order in mind, so they -could- have been in any order, but now that the decision was made the order is no longer random, even for new releases.

"Shuffled" would still have been much more accurate though, I agree.

At least it's plain what the order is; cuts back on speculation like "even the devs hate xforce so much they stuck him last"

Unless that's still true, and they just found an order that allowed them to put him last...

/tinfoil hat