Hearts of Darkness placement rewards a change or a bug?

mohio
mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I noticed this a couple days ago, but kept waiting for it to change before the event went live. Now that it's live and the rewards haven't changed I'm wondering if Hi-Fi or another red name could comment on the rewards in Hearts of Darkness. I haven't looked at all the clearance levels, but for CL7, the placement rewards look vastly different from Deadpool vs. MPQ, plus either wording is really bad or it's accidentally giving out way more 4* than intended. Let's take a quick look.

t1 - Previous rewards plus Mr. F Black - nothing to see here, looks normal
t5 - Previous rewards plus Mr. F Blue and Yellow - is this how it was always worded? It makes it look like you get 2 yellow covers and a blue cover. I'm sure no one actually expects this, but it should probably be worded differently. I suppose "previous rank rewards" really means all the 3* covers, but going literally by what it says that's not what it is.
t10 - Previous rewards plus Mr. F Yellow - Ho hum, nothing really new here either.

So - outside of the terrible wording I mentioned above, you'll also notice that this event gives out 3 Mr. F covers to top 1 instead of just 2 covers of IMHB to top 1 in DP vs. MPQ. Similarly 2 covers to top 5 vs. just 1 in DP vs. MPQ, and an extra cover for 6-10 that weren't getting any in DP vs. MPQ.

Not that I typically want to try for top 10 anyway, but it would be nice to have clarification on whether this is a wholesale change to placement rewards or just an error? Thanks!

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe it is a subtle hint that he will be worth champing after they do the rebalancing. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hatechamped MrF recently .... sooooo .... uhhhh .... hooray?
    I've been using him a lot in DPvsMPQ, actually. Mostly because OML and Jean Grey are must-plays, but that blue Active does have it's Place.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    I don't have Mr F but I believe he is persistent to stay alive because of his self heal and protect tiles. He is pretty much like 4* OBW except that he also stuns. Not necessarily that bad? I might add him to my roster sometime later since good support character have always value.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have found that there are a lot of characters that are terrible on PVP defense, but they're actually quite okay on PVE. Mr. F has his moments. His stun and heal aren't bad. His black is fun but a bit challenging to use, since it often gets destroyed quickly. It should be fortified at higher levels. In fact, they probably will do that.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I have found that there are a lot of characters that are terrible on PVP defense, but they're actually quite okay on PVE. Mr. F has his moments. His stun and heal aren't bad. His black is fun but a bit challenging to use, since it often gets destroyed quickly. It should be fortified at higher levels. In fact, they probably will do that.

I have fun playing Reed with/against Carnage, for example. I generally haven't had much trouble with his black Countdown but would agree that fortifying it high power level makes sense.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    I have to say, much like others above, I've used my 5/3/5 MrF (at Lv222) more than I thought I would. He definitely has a place in several situations, and I've quite enjoyed using him buffed in DPvsMPQ (particularly on that Venom vs Carnage node!).

That said, he definitely could use a bit of love in the upcoming character rebalance. For the time being, though, he's a bit boring but dependable -- much like Reed Richards himself, I gather.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    The big problem of Reed's blue is Iceman's blue, cheaper and much better. Then black is not bad, but it is also not great, if you can create cascades it might be good, if not, strike tiles are usually better. And yellow is just ok if you play him with Carnage or PH. Own his own he is really bad though (like in DDQ4 against Doom).

But as I said it somewhere else, he is quite good with PH+OML, black with the extra damage of the duo strike tiles is quite big, and he heals himself all the time.

PS: Soooo if Iceman blue is nerfed, as I think it will, he might end up being one of the best stunners in 4 land (together with 4hor who is also much better).
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376

+1 for "hatechamp"
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:
    t5 - Previous rewards plus Mr. F Blue and Yellow - is this how it was always worded? It makes it look like you get 2 yellow covers and a blue cover. I'm sure no one actually expects this, but it should probably be worded differently. I suppose "previous rank rewards" really means all the 3* covers, but going literally by what it says that's not what it is.
    t10 - Previous rewards plus Mr. F Yellow - Ho hum, nothing really new here either.

So - outside of the terrible wording I mentioned above, you'll also notice that this event gives out 3 Mr. F covers to top 1 instead of just 2 covers of IMHB to top 1 in DP vs. MPQ. Similarly 2 covers to top 5 vs. just 1 in DP vs. MPQ, and an extra cover for 6-10 that weren't getting any in DP vs. MPQ.

Not that I typically want to try for top 10 anyway, but it would be nice to have clarification on whether this is a wholesale change to placement rewards or just an error? Thanks!

I brought this up in a LINE chat, to see if anyone thought the mistakes were in DP vs MPQ placement rewards. Only response was from someone who didn't understand the question. HoD rewards look like the reward structure from before SCL, where t10 would get a 4* cover. I hope the mistake was in the DP placement rewards, since HoD rewards were the structure before SCL.

I asked the question, b/c I finished 3rd in the first sub, but wouldn't mind dropping to t10, since I could only use the black cover on my triple. T10 would've been the black, if it would've followed the way HoD rewards are. Slept thru first 20 min of my planned hour final grind. I actually finished 10th, 1021 pts short of 5th. Didn't get any IMHB covers.

t5 - I think that's how it's always been worded. I think the previous rank rewards used to just apply to ISO and HP, b/c I don't remember if T1-10 had the ISO and HP listed before.

Also, on the Mr. F discussion, my lvl 200 is 535 and my dupe is 553.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    mohio wrote:
    you'll also notice that this event gives out 3 Mr. F covers to top 1 instead of just 2 covers of IMHB to top 1 in DP vs. MPQ.

T1 gave three IMHB covers (I know - I actually earned it this time!). I'm similarly puzzled about the change, though, because I was scrabbling for t5. Taking it back to t10 for 4* rewards would be very welcome.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    After the DPvMPQ event, it seems to me that they tweaked the rewards to add a single 4* cover reward for 6-10th (which I think is great!), but forgot to adjust the text for 1st / 2nd-5th, hence the confusion.
  • edgewriter
    edgewriter Posts: 68 Match Maker
    The thing I hate about new end rewards is the 50-100 placing. Just three elite tokens?

Getting in the top 50 at tier 7?

Right now that's near impossible for people on the 3-4 star transition. The point squeeze at the top with the new scoring system makes it ridiculous.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    edgewriter wrote:
    The thing I hate about new end rewards is the 50-100 placing. Just three elite tokens?

Right now that's near impossible for people on the 3-4 star transition. The point squeeze at the top with the new scoring system makes it ridiculous.
    While I agree on the rewards, I strongly disagree on the ability of a 3-4* transitioner to get into T50.

It is much more significantly tied to your ability to grind on an optimal schedule than it is to your roster strength.

If you think roster strength is the difference-maker for a transitioning roster, then it likely depends on how far into the transition you are. If you only have two 3* champs, you are definitely not a 3-4* transitioner - you are a 2-3* transitioner still. If you have 20 3* champs, you should have little difficulty getting into T50 as long as you can grind on the schedule.

I have a single 4* champ, 39 3* champs, and cannot grind remotely optimal due to life commitments. I still hit T50 in sub 1 of DPvMPQ, and I feel fairly confident that I will T50 the event overall.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    rkd80 wrote:

+1 for "hatechamp"

Totally need to "hate-champ" Cho now. I love this term. You guys are hilarious
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Smudge wrote:
    edgewriter wrote:

While I agree on the rewards, I strongly disagree on the ability of a 3-4* transitioner to get into T50.

It is much more significantly tied to your ability to grind on an optimal schedule than it is to your roster strength.

If you think roster strength is the difference-maker for a transitioning roster, then it likely depends on how far into the transition you are. If you only have two 3* champs, you are definitely not a 3-4* transitioner - you are a 2-3* transitioner still. If you have 20 3* champs, you should have little difficulty getting into T50 as long as you can grind on the schedule.

I have a single 4* champ, 39 3* champs, and cannot grind remotely optimal due to life commitments. I still hit T50 in sub 1 of DPvMPQ, and I feel fairly confident that I will T50 the event overall.

My experience has been if I have all the required characters for an event, I usually don't have an issue getting T50 or better. But my 4* roster is still pretty thin and when I don't have the 4* required (which is way more often than not) T50 is not feasible, no matter how much you grind. Even T100 is hard without the 4*.

It is nice that you can get the required 4* through progression now if you're CL7, which helps with sub placement, but usually by that point, it's still impossible to get T50 overall because you've missed all the other 4* nodes up until that point. It would be nice if T51-100 got at least one cover. But if it never changes, it's not like this is a dealbreaker for me or anything like that.